New here and need help with a '91 GMC Jimmy

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

mdharris

New here and need help with a '91 GMC Jimmy

Post by mdharris »

Had this vehicle for a while and recently I am starting to have problems.

First, passenger door handle broke off. Not the handle itself but the mount the handle goes on. Cannot figure out what this is called and where to buy one, any suggestions?

Seem to be having alot of oil leak lately, my driveway is starting to look ugly, any thoughts?

Air conditioner comes on and blows but does not get that cold. I live in AZ and 120 is not all that incommon. Replaced blower few months ago but that only solved the blowing problem, any thoughts?

And that stupid head liner that just does not want to stay glue to the roof, its pretty annoying have the head liner rub you head as you drive, tried many things but nothing seems to work, has anyone fixed this issue yet?

Thanks for all or any help, much appreciated.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

First off, welcome to the forum! :wave:

There is an aftermarket catalog that I receive and the wife promptly disposes of that has all your first generation body parts in it. A member will quickly answer that for you. :lol:

You'll receive suggestions on your oil leak problem, as well. Just not my forte'
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

First off welcome. :wave:

I am moving this to NOS since it is not directly related to the stock s-series crew cab or related second generation s-series vehicles.

#1 - Inner or outer handle assembly? Front or rear door? Aftermarket assemblies are available from NAPA. It may also be a good idea to order a free catalog from LMC Truck They will have the parts as well as great break downs and parts descriptions.

#2 - Check your oil lines for leaks and the adapter at the block is known to be a "leaker". You may just need to replace some seals. The lines are now available aftermarket as well. Look over the pan seal while you're down there. It could be a rear mainseal or pan rails. The intake is also known for leaking at the front and rear. Either can run down the block and drip. Watch those valve cover gaskets too.

#3 - You are likely to need a new compressor. Yours is affectionately and appropriately known as the "grenade pancake compressor". The seals get hard and leak. Oily residue is a sign of leakage. The system may be low on Freon. Yours still uses R12 which has been phased out. You may still find some available, but at great expense. It will be cheaper to retrofit the system. I would suggest a new compressor, filter dryer/dehydrator, and orifice tube. Clean the system and fill with PAG 46, or Ester 100 and R134. This should run around $500 for parts.

#4 - I haven't suffered the headliner woes. Mine has a sunroof though. That holds it up ;)
Maybe a new headliner? Not sure on that one.
Last edited by HenryJ on Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Hello,
For parts go to :LMC Truck Parts and get yourself a catalog, That will get you lots of replacement parts. Have you tried the 3m spray contact cement for the headliner I have had good luck with that you want the industrial type I think it comes in a black can.

Hey! Henryj I can't type as fast as you you beat me to all the good answers.Image
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

Welcome
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
mdharris

Post by mdharris »

Thanks for the quick replies.

The door handle is the passenger outer assembly. The handle connects to another black plastic piece, thats what broken. The handle itself is fine, just that one piece.
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Wecome to the site. Here is a great 1st Gen. Site. You will find a lot of good information there.

S10-Extremists
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

mdharris wrote:The door handle is the passenger outer assembly. The handle connects to another black plastic piece, thats what broken. The handle itself is fine, just that one piece.
Pretty sure it is sold as an assembly. Are you sure it is broken? I have had the retaining screws/nuts come loose. I did also break one when trying to open a frozen door.
Look on the "HELP" rack at your local auto parts. Balkamp should have them as well (NAPA).

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Yes it is all one piece and they break often. You can pick one up at the bone yard for 3 to 5 buckc. When I sold my 1st gen pickup there was a left and a right hand spare in the glove box for the new owner.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Try this for the headliner:

http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/abs_ ... vs/gmc.htm

I put one in my Blazer. They are a bit pricey but should permanently solve the falling headliner problem. They use something different that doesn't break down over time like the stock foam adhesive does.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Oh, and welcome to the site! :wave: