Be prepared !

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Be prepared !

Post by mjmcdowell »

Took my son on a wheeling/photo op. last saturday as I wanted some photos of the CC playing on some muddy trails, will post some later. My son took some great shots and we were about to go back to the main road when we noticed a truck on the other side of a grown up field and went to investigate. When we rounded a little bend there was not one but two trucks, one trying to extract the other! So we stopped where we knew we could get out and found tha they had been stuck and trying to ge unstuck for about 31/2 hrs. , the stuck truck was an older 4x4 F 150 with street tires and no equipment to get un stuck, well they did have a scissors jack, a shovel with a broken handle and one ramp and a couple of pices of 2x4 lumber. His buddy with an older Dodge Durango also had street tires and a rather worn snatch strap. Oh well couldnt very well leave them, Oh yea the buddy also had his 3 yr. old daughter in his truck and she was unhappy. So out came my Hi-Lift, base board and good strap, jack up, clear everyone and let them push the truck off the jack to harder ground, repeat several times and 1/2 an hour later the truck is in a position to be yanked off to the side to the rear, I told the yanker in tne Durango to give the strap 5 or so feet of slack then give a good yank, but don't go like h---, and the 150 to back up when he felt the tug, Volia! they were unstuck, happy, muddy, greatful ( the child felt much better) and they did not have to try to get a tow truck in there, (good luck on that one) they thanked my son and I and beat it out of there to the highway. We turned around and came home to a 31/2 hr. cleaning up the truck job and a "where on earth have you been" from my wife. I guess the ending was happy for them, and hope they learned not to venture off road not properly equiped for problems and know your vehicles limitations (they just shouldn't have tried that stretch of road), I sure as heck wasn't going to, and just BE prepared. thought you folks might enjoy this tail, stay safe, mjmcdowell
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

:thumb: It's nice to see that there are other helpful people out there. I always help when I see someone stuck whether it's on or off road. I have pulled 5 or 6 trucks out of the mud and snow since I got my CC in 02, and so far I haven't needed a rescue myself. :D If I do ever need help, I hope someone is willing to help me. :pray: :D

Steve
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Be prepared !

Post by barch97 »

mjmcdowell wrote:I wanted some photos of the CC playing on some muddy trails, will post some later... the stuck truck was an older 4x4 F 150...
stuck ford pics? Oh goody :mrgreen:
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Be prepared !

Post by Walt »

barch97 wrote:
mjmcdowell wrote:I wanted some photos of the CC playing on some muddy trails, will post some later... the stuck truck was an older 4x4 F 150...
stuck ford pics? Oh goody :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Stuck 4x4 Ford pics

Post by mjmcdowell »

For barch97, alas my son did not get any photos of the Ford, It was kinda sad to see tho, sorry barch97, stay safe, mjmcdowell
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Ok, this brings up a topic that has come up before.

You are packing a HighLift jack to get someone else out when they get stuck? A better excuse to to carry it for self recovery use.
What modifications have you made to your vehicle that would allow the use of this jack on your vehicle?

On the stock truck there is only one spot where the jack could possibly be used. This is the center of the rear bumper. That is not likely to be enough to be very useable.

While it is possible to add accessories that would make further use of the jack, this also requires added attachments and accessories.

I guess the point here is "if you're pack'n...are you REALLY prepared to use it?" ;)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:While it is possible to add accessories that would make further use of the jack, this also requires added attachments and accessories. I guess the point here is "if you're pack'n...are you REALLY prepared to use it?" ;)
Image Image Image Image Image Image

I have all 4 of these attachments and have used every single one at least once. The wheel lift is the most useful of the 4, and is really handy when you need to raise a wheel high enough to fill in the hole it has dug itself into, or in my case lifting all 4 wheels out to mud to get my frame off the ground. :!: The Hi-Lift by itself is very limited. :roll: All of the attachments shown above fit into a small plactic tote that I take with me whenever I go wheelin. :D

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Ok, the attachments for the Highlift are good.
Now how are you going to attach to the front or rear to use it to lift or pull it out?

The front hooks are an easy choice for pulling, but what about the rear?
You can jack the rear with the hook/chain attachment or maybe the wheel strap, but what about the front?

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:Ok, the attachments for the Highlift are good.
Now how are you going to attach to the front or rear to use it to lift or pull it out?

The front hooks are an easy choice for pulling, but what about the rear?
You can jack the rear with the hook/chain attachment or maybe the wheel strap, but what about the front?
When pulling I use the front tow hooks or my shackle bracket in the hitch on the rear.

When jacking I use the wheel lift on any of the 4 tires. If that doesn't work I can use the bumper lift or the hitch itself for the rear, and for the front I use a modified tree strap with hooks which is then attached to both of the factory tow hooks. My modified tree strap looks very similar to the wheel lift, only the straps are longer. I also use the bracket from the wheel lift with my modified tree strap when jacking the front.:wink: All of this stuff is very helpful, but I wish I had the front/rear winch mount set up like yours. :( Maybe one of these days. :roll:

Steve
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I have two custom brackets on the front that my tow hooks are mounted on. They turn the tow hooks 90 degrees so they're horizontal, and they stick out further (about 3 inches). They're very close to my pushbar, and this let's me use the tow hooks for jacking. If I place the jack under a tow hook, it will slide slightly until it comes into contact with the side of the push bar, then it is solid as a rock. I've tested it several times.

My nerf bars on the other hand, are not so solid. I had to make some spacers for the back to make the bars even after modifying the mounts to work with the BL and look right. If I try put the jack under one end of the bar, it just pushes the bar up into the cab.

As for the rear bumper, I'm still looking. There is a flat spot on each side of the bumper about 2/3's away from the center to the end, that works just fine to place the jack under. It does barely lift one side more than the other, so it's not really good for changing a tire. I also have the bumper lift attachment, but it's practically useless when the truck and jack are on the same level.

I'm going to get the wheel lift attachment, but I still want some other points on the sides to jack from. I may see if I can make me something....

I also have the winch kit. Works great. Get a SuperStrap!!!!! That's my only advice on the winch kit. http://www.superstrap.com/ I have the 1x25' version. At first it looks weird, but I can vouch for it's strength. When Katrina came through, it saw heavy usage in pulling AND jerking trees/logs off the roads. And I mean really heavy. There were times when my truck spun all four tires on the pavement in 4Lo and the strap held. It was convenient to be able to adjust the strap to the lenth you need. This is particularly helpful when using the hilift jack, since you have to reset the jack every 4 to 5 feet. The superstrap eliminates having to carry around a huge heavy chain.

Ok...informercial over.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Be prepared!

Post by mjmcdowell »

HJ, Ouch? Anyway...... the jack along with, axe, shovel, (which I modified according to you know who, great idea!) several strap's a drawbar with a clevis, and other clevis's 12' of grade 70 chain, a 5' length as well, a 2 ton comealong, front mounted hooks of course an two hooks on the rear (idea and implemintation from a fourmite), port and starboard nerf/step bars, (lifting points) gloves, jack base pad 12"x12" 1/2" plywood, wheel lift acessory from Hi-Lift, various other small items, duct tape, stainless steel wire , various sizes of hose clamps and vise grips, BFH, Bug out bag , cell phone, maps of the area to be traveled if necessary, and on and on, in or mounted on a composit Delta tool box. One could probably add to this for sure, but this has worked for me in my part of the country but you get the picture anyway. These tools and acessories I have used, first in practice and once or twice in various combinations in the field. Also I have been Playing with 4x4's since I owned a brand new FJ40 Cruiser in 1977 and a couple of other vehicles in between but the most important tool to me is the one in between your ears and using it every time you venture off the beaten path or for that matter every time you turn the key. All these things are with the CC all the time, other things that are trip/seasonaly ( colapsable snow shovel) required are added as deemed necessary. enough rambling, stay safe, mjmcdowell
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Be prepared!

Post by HenryJ »

mjmcdowell wrote:HJ, Ouch? ...
:lol: Sorry, I saw a chance to play the devils advocate.
It spurred a good conversation on "being prepared" Sometimes people take the jack only to find out that there is no way to use it on their vehicle. Many times a simple bottle jack is of more use with the plastic air dams, and lack of jack points on the sides.

With my front receiver I can put in a hitch for a front jack / pull point. My side bars are foam filled and tied to my spring hanger bolt. They are substantial enough to raise the vehicle if needed. Also the rear hitch has two hooks added for recovery. I have used them more than anything else.

That wheel strap really does look like the thing to have. I may have to watch for one of those.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re:be prepared !

Post by mjmcdowell »

For HJ, not a problem! you were correct that it did spark some good feedback on equipping our trucks for off road use which is always good, So..... how about it chime in everyone share with your fellow fourmites what and why you have/carry the equipment in your truck, good ideas can be used by all, what say you? stay safe, mjmcdowell
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I probably carry way too much stuff. Some of it rarely, if ever gets used.

Matches in water tight bag, mini soldering torch, tool kit: wrenches ,sockets ,multitools ,drivers, etc. , Duct tape ,SS safety wire, tire plug-n-patch kit, compressor, tow strap, hitch, clevis, cam wedge anchors, carabiners, utility rope, tarp, telescoping poles, gloves, flashlights, water, quick connect jumper cables, extension cord, spider strap, tiedowns, BP cuff and stethoscope, ped phone and wrench, paper towels, plastic bags, rags, wash cloths, bug spray, first aid kit, flares, ERG book, binoculars, wool blanket, MRE, coveralls, antibacterial wipes, spare batteries, lighted frisbee, shovel, axe, fire extinguisher, dual band ham radio, FRS mobile.

That about covers what I pack with me on a daily basis. When the weather turns bad I will be packing the winch.

I throw in other stuff for trips depending upon the needs. GPS , laptop, DVD player, camera, cell phone, generator, cargo box, push bar, spot light, HighLift, tarps , tent, and other camp gear.
Last edited by HenryJ on Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:I probably carry way too much stuff. Some of it rarely, if ever gets used.

telescoping poles :?:
lighted frisbee :?: :?:

You are obviously prepared for just about anything. :shock:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:...telescoping poles ...lighted frisbee...
The poles along with the tarp and some bungie ball ties can be fashioned into an awning, out house or what ever shelter is needed. As for the lighted frisbee...it is the only way to play at night :bounce: That thing has been great for a little exercise while waiting for someone or something.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:As for the lighted frisbee...it is the only way to play at night :bounce: That thing has been great for a little exercise while waiting for someone or something.
My guess was that you carry it with you to attract UFO's for help when needed. :poke: :D

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:My guess was that you carry it with you to attract UFO's...
A few of those reports in the Owyhee desert may have just been our family taking a break :lol:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:
killian96ss wrote:My guess was that you carry it with you to attract UFO's...
A few of those reports in the Owyhee desert may have just been our family taking a break :lol:
:lol: :roflmao: :lol: Where did you get your light up frisbee? Any pics? I'm sure my kids would have fun with one of those. :D Maybe we could start a new rash of UFO sightings in CA and OR. :lol:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:...Where did you get your light up frisbee? Any pics?
Check out the Xmas wishlist thread I included a link to the most sought after xmas gift this year ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK