See you all on the other side (of Katrina that is)

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

See you all on the other side (of Katrina that is)

Post by Walt »

Well, I'll be unplugging and stowing the PC's in a few minutes in preparation for the absolute stomping my area of the state is about to receive. For any of you that have never looked at the left side of my posts, I live in Missippi (yes the spelling is intentional). Mize, MS, to be precise. My workplace is in Magee, about 15 miles west of Mize along state highway 28. There is a good chance that the eye of Katrina may pass between/over/destroy Mize and Magee. Either way, if it comes within 50 miles of us, we'll probably get atleast 80 mph winds.

We haven't gone as far as folks on the coast in preparing, like boarding up windows, but we're taking the necessary precautions...plenty of nonperishable food and water, flashlights, candles, mosquito spray, etc...

Hopefully this wont be a repeat of Camille, who's eye passed right over Mize and did some major damage, but who knows.

You know things are getting bad when your local Wal-Mart closes :lol:

It'll probably be a few days or even weeks before I can respond due to power outtages and such. My father-in-law works for the local power company, and he said that they're preparing for the absolute worst in this area. He said we could be without power for several weeks if things get bad enough.

Anyways, Reed, be glad you're not and farther south than you are now. :lol: If things seem to take a turn for the better and slacken up, I may reconnect my PC and give everyone an update, but if not, I'll update as soon as I can. I plan to get some video footage (hopefully) that I can post online for everyone to see. It's amazing to see 20-30 year old pines bend over :lol:

Be safe!
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: See you all on the other side (of Katrina that is)

Post by HenryJ »

wamason wrote:...Be safe!
NO, you be safe! I'd offer a place to stay, but by the time you get here it would be all over :mg:

Let us know as soon as you can that everybody is OK. :pray:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Will do. I thought I'd check things again before I pulled the plug :(

Brule, It would take me atleast a day to get out of the state, and that's avoiding major highways and interstates. :lol:

Peace!
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Wow! :shock: I realize you probably won't get this now until afterwards but good luck anyway and I hope everything and everyone is Ok when it's over!

I live in northern Virginia and the projected path might bring it fairly close although there won't be much left of Katrina when it gets here. Still, we might get a few good storms out of it and (knowing this area) maybe even a tornado or two so I need to stock up on gas for the generator and other stuff.

Hope to hear from you soon!
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

4 days no word yet.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

The silence has been deafening and heavy on my mind. I am sure most of us are feeling the same way.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

If mississippi is anything like what I've been seeing of new orleans... best of luck to you, wamason. If there's anything we can do to help please don't hesitate to ask.

I cannot believe the happy face that network news is trying to put on all this. With their human interest stories of the families that stuck it out. Why are they trying so hard to hide the fact there are roving gangs of armed criminals moving about the city taking whatever they want from whomever has it? From what I understand, if you are alone on the streets of NO right now you are in immediate danger of being robbed raped and murdered.

Be safe, wamason.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

barch97 wrote:If mississippi is anything like what I've been seeing of new orleans... best of luck to you, wamason. If there's anything we can do to help please don't hesitate to ask.

I cannot believe the happy face that network news is trying to put on all this. With their human interest stories of the families that stuck it out. Why are they trying so hard to hide the fact there are roving gangs of armed criminals moving about the city taking whatever they want from whomever has it? From what I understand, if you are alone on the streets of NO right now you are in immediate danger of being robbed raped and murdered.

Be safe, wamason.

I dunno what news you are watching but, Fox News Channel is not painting a pretty picture. It was a little flowery when everyone thought New Orleans basically survived but, that soon disappeared when reality sank in. They are now showing bodies of those that died trying to make it to the suoerdome, MS was hit harder but, New Orleans is drawing all the media attention.

I echo Barch in the offer of if there is anything we can do please let us know.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Yeah, I may have spoken a little too soon there. Hadn't seen a tv since I left for work this morning. It appears they're coming around now.
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Looking at where Mize is in MS. - THey probably weathered the storm decently - but there was still a cat 2 hurricane at that point - large chunks of Mississippi are still without power - which is the most likely reason we haven't heard back.

IF gas didn't cost so dang much, I'd almost take my 4 day weekend and roll out that direction - would have been a 3-4 hour drive for me.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I prefer to think Wamason is Ok and just can't get access to the internet to let us know. Think positive!
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

everytime i see CNN or that area in the news i wonder if he's ok.
Our thoughts are with you wamason
come back safe
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

He is hopefully out enjoying some really good mudd'n :mg:

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

Rusty wrote:I prefer to think Wamason is Ok and just can't get access to the internet to let us know. Think positive!
I know locally several people have been trying to get through on HAM radio to that area and are running into the power outages.. the IRLP links on that end are down (no power for the internet link, even though most of the repeaters themselves are rigged with emergency backup power, usually solar so it will recharge itself w/o fuel).
And a few people locally have made sporadic contacts through HF radio directly, but a lot of the hams in that area are either busy with cleanup, didnt have backup power to their rigs :nono: or took damage to the larger HF antennas and arent back on the air yet.
I've been on 12+hour shifts out here at the base this week, so I havent even turned my radio on in over a week.. need to fire it up and see if any of the links are back online (and try the link back to Rusty again and see if its working :)
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

kf6kmx wrote:I've been on 12+hour shifts out here at the base this week, so I havent even turned my radio on in over a week.. need to fire it up and see if any of the links are back online (and try the link back to Rusty again and see if its working :)
Oh? Does that mean I need to turn my radio on again? :lol: I've tried calling you a bunch of times (not lately though) and got nothing but dead air. Ray did say the link works and it does seem to.

By the way, I changed my callsign. I'm now W4GSK. I got tired of the KI4KLU sign. I don't know what it was but even when I spelled it out phonetically, people got it wrong. I think "Whiskey Four Golf Sierra Kilo" works better.

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled topic

Wamason! Where are you?!?!?!
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

Rusty wrote:
kf6kmx wrote:I've been on 12+hour shifts out here at the base this week, so I havent even turned my radio on in over a week.. need to fire it up and see if any of the links are back online (and try the link back to Rusty again and see if its working :)
Oh? Does that mean I need to turn my radio on again? :lol: I've tried calling you a bunch of times (not lately though) and got nothing but dead air. Ray did say the link works and it does seem to.

By the way, I changed my callsign. I'm now W4GSK. I got tired of the KI4KLU sign. I don't know what it was but even when I spelled it out phonetically, people got it wrong. I think "Whiskey Four Gold Sierra Kilo" works better.

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled topic

Wamason! Where are you?!?!?!
Yeah, I'll probably turn my radio on some this weekend at least :) Going to be doing a redesign of the website for my church, so I'll probably turn on the radio that sits on my desk this weekend.
I like the W4GSK call.

On the regular schedule topic, what town is he in? I'll see if any of the locals on HF have gotten any responses near there for a condition report.
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

kf6kmx wrote: On the regular schedule topic, what town is he in? I'll see if any of the locals on HF have gotten any responses near there for a condition report.
He was in "Mize" which looks to be right in between, Jackson, Meridian and Hattiesburg. About 50 miles from each according to Mapquest. Of course where he is now is anyone's guess. Don't know if he stayed or split town.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

WORD FROM OUR LOST BOY!
Wamason wrote:Hey brule, it's walt. This is my cell phone email. just letting everyone know that we're ok. no phones or power, but we're alive.
:thumb:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

HenryJ wrote:WORD FROM OUR LOST BOY!
Wamason wrote:Hey brule, it's walt. This is my cell phone email. just letting everyone know that we're ok. no phones or power, but we're alive.
:thumb:
GREAT!!!! :thumb:

(And to give some credit where credit is due - :pray: )
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

YAY!!! :mrgreen:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

wamason wrote:hey dood. im typing this from my phone. I can check this address from my phone periodicaly. Tell the folks on the forum to please contact the red cross or other help orgs. People south of us are in real trouble! Ill try to keep in touch. You can mail me back at this address. -walt
HenryJ's reply wrote:I will pass the word. Stay safe. Is there anything that YOU need?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

All rite!!! :rock:
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

TY, HJ
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

Thank God
:pray: 's have been answered!
Thanks HJ for letting us know