I got a question on flashlights

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

I got a question on flashlights

Post by 2bunik »

I know this is a big question in life. what flashlight worxs best. .. This is the deal.. I really like maglights.
1 cause they take a beating
2 cause we use them at work.

but I went to buy a flashlight and could see myself buying a 18.00 maglight. Then I saw these LED flashlights. they are smaller and you never have to worry about the bulb breaking... :roll:

But has anyone tryed this type of flashlight ..
is it as good and do you recomend it.
or would you get a regular flashlight..?
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
MikeyZR5

Post by MikeyZR5 »

I have a small LED flashlight and I am happy with it...but there is something about those Maglights...Got three of them.
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

Nothin wrong with led lights, although I still have to maglights.
[size=75]1 of 6 Wheatland Yellow Sonoma's in Canada

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290324509]Truck Pics[/url][/size]
marks10cc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by marks10cc »

I have both as well. I have two mini flashlights and a big maglight (Double A vs D cell). Of the two AA flashlights, I like the LED better, but that's probably because it's made of a composite plastic instead of metal, and when your under the hood with the temp below freezing, sticking that maglight between your teeth isn't all that great of a time. :lol:
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

mag lights all the way....cuz you can beat people with them :wink: or at least get in trouble for looking like you are about to :lol: long story :roll:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Mike H. »

Go to www.brightguy.com . I have ordered from them many times. Great site.

I have had several maglights, as well as many others. As far as light output, side by side Maglights perform poorly and are compatively only good for use as a club, IMHO. They are very heavy and use primitive bulbs. Go with something with a Zenon bulb.

I have this one: http://www.brightguy.com/detail.html?ca ... L8040B_YEL

It is much brighter than a 4C maglight.

I also have this one: http://www.brightguy.com/detail.html?ca ... u=UND80009

It is bright, but the 1st one above is better and a little brighter.

This is one of my favorites: http://www.brightguy.com/detail_int.htm ... L2400C_BLA

I have 2. It is surprisingly bright (about like a 3C maglight) and is tiny. It is flat and fits in your back pocket well, and in a pinch it holds well by your teeth.

I always get yellow so when I dropped it in the woods at 5:00am I could find it.
[size=75][url=http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst?.dir=/&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst%3f%26.dir=/2002%2bGMC%2bCrew%2bCab-Spacers%26.src=ph%26.view=l&.view=l]Yahoo Photo Pages[/url]
(previous) 2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab
(now) 2004 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 Crew Cab[/size]
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

the LED one I wanted to get was plastic so it could be easier on the teeth. I think I will go on the path less traveld and get the LED one.
I know every one has a maglight here .. so If I test the led one..I will at least give some feed back on whether people should upgrade.. I will take it to work and see if keeps up with a two cell maglight. :evil:

maybe I should get this one :) :) 1906 ever ready
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
MikeyZR5

Post by MikeyZR5 »

What brand is the LED flashlight that you are looking to get?

Mine is a Brinkman.
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

a2b wrote:mag lights all the way....cuz you can beat people with them :wink: or at least get in trouble for looking like you are about to :lol: long story :roll:
...or beat someone who's in trouble..... :? long story, too. :D
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

What brand is the LED flashlight that you are looking to get?

Mine is a Brinkman.
I think it was a light wave. .. it had a magnafying glass looking lens. was silver and about 6 inches long.[/quote]

Post by Guest »

I think LED's are much better. I used to have maglights but when I tried LED, I never went back. White ones are the only ones I like though. I think www.Photonlight.com started their popularity. Now everybody makes LED's. I think LED's illuminate the area around you better. THey also don't need batteries as often, like 5 times longer. You should check out www.knifecenter.com they have the coolest flashlights.
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

i have a 6 "D" cell maglite, its about a foot and half long,doesnt fit anywhere other than standing up in the corner or under the bed, but i could hit a homerun with that thing, or knock someone clean out,as for how bright it is, given its size i could probably use it for an airplane landing light
"Aim towards the Enemy." -Instruction printed on US Rocket Launcher
Crew02
Crew
Crew

Post by Crew02 »

I must admit I am a fan of the Mag light too. The only difference is that I like the C-Cell version. The narrow body is alot easier to keep a hold of. I keep 2, 3-Cell lights in my truck. I have been debating on getting the Mag charger. Does anyone have one that can tell me what they think about it?
[size=75]2002 Crewcab - Best Mod XM Radio, 2" Body Lift, 30 X 9.5 BFG Long Trail, Factory Locker, T-Bar Crank , Rear Shackles. ORI PreRunner Bar, Hella 500 Lights.
1990 Jeep Wrangler, ARB lockers front/Rear, Winches Front/rear,4" suspension Lift, 2" body lift, 35" BFG Mud TA's, Geared 4:56.
Amateur Radio Operator KC4-IKR[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

smokinjoe wrote:i have a 6 "D" cell maglite, its about a foot and half long...
I'm pack'n the same weapon :thumb:
One in my toolbox, and one in the house by the bed :)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

nuttin better ever :thumb:
jeramey_pa

Post by jeramey_pa »

Crew02 wrote: I have been debating on getting the Mag charger. Does anyone have one that can tell me what they think about it?
MAG CHARGER!! They are the best, for $100.00 they should be. But they have 40,000 CP (candle power). I have 2 (because the place I ordered from messed up). But they are awesome. FYI: they do burn really hot. A State Trooper's 5 year old was playing with one and left it on sitting on the couch and it actually ignited the couch. But it's excellent when you need to warm your hands up on the side of the road.

I would definately reccomend it. But make sure it has the "NEW" bulb. The old style bulb only gave you 30 minutes per charge and was 30,000 CP. The new style bulb gets about 2.5 hours per charge. Try www.galls.com for your order, there are others but that's a reputable place.
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

jeramey_pa wrote:Try www.galls.com for your order, there are others but that's a reputable place.
Nice site :thumb:
i think i may throw down on some ballsitic armor :D
Bad_Ass_S10
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Bad_Ass_S10 »

I work at nite so I probavly use flashlights more than most people here and must say that that I have a 3-D cell battery that I keep in my service truck but have not used it ever since I got my LED flashlight - I dont know what brand it is but it has 5 led bulbs in it and takes 3 -C batteries I also keep a pocket led light o me all the time - its small but bright - I dont think I could go back to using a mag light after using the led light which I think give a better output of light - not saying they are brighter but get one of each and turn them both on and u will see
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

every light seems to be going to an LED. they even have LED neons for cars
[size=75]02 ZR5 CC, SFA D44 front, D60 rear, 40" IROKs, np200 2nd t-case. SOLD
05 F-350 CC FX4 Diesel, 7" lift 37" toyos, 14.18 1/4 mile ET[/size]
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Mike H. »

I stumbled upon a horsepower mod for the Maglites today. :lol:

I'm not an advocate of Maglites simply because I have found their light output to be substandard when compared, on an equal battery basis, with makes like Pelican, Underwater Kinetics, Princeton Tec, and Bright Star. (I have at least 1 of all 5 brands.) Maglite's primary downfall is they don't come with Xenon bulbs. They come with older technology Krypton lamps.

But, looking around Home Depot today, I found that Maglite sells an upgrade bulb called the "MAG-NUM STAR Xenon". They were $3 so I figured I'd give it a try in my 3-C Maglite. It gives a much "whiter" color, is a little brighter, and seems to be able to focus a little tighter. (Probably due to the much smaller, high pressure, bulb head.) They are advertised as 15% brighter than the "stock" Krypton bulbs. From the look of it, it seems to be about that.

I figured you Maglite guys might be interested, but maybe already know of them.
[size=75][url=http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst?.dir=/&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst%3f%26.dir=/2002%2bGMC%2bCrew%2bCab-Spacers%26.src=ph%26.view=l&.view=l]Yahoo Photo Pages[/url]
(previous) 2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab
(now) 2004 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 Crew Cab[/size]
code3crew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SureFire the only way to go

Post by code3crew »

The Maglite is a brick that has little candle power and a led is nice and bright small and powerful but a xenon bulb is the brightest white not yellow haze light ever. Surefire is a light manufacturer whos lights are unsurpassed. I use one in my turnout gear at my fire dept. and I have smashed things with it gone into burning buildings with it and the thing just keeps on going. Expensive lights but worth the money http://www.surefireflashlightsonline.co ... asp?bhcp=1
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: SureFire the only way to go

Post by HenryJ »

code3crew wrote:The Maglite is a brick ...
Exactly why I carry one! It can double as a baseball bat..."Hmmm, officer I'm not sure what happened? He must have stumbled while running from my house? Weapon? No :!: I only have my flashlight" ;)

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

That's why I like the streamlight series as well -- Their rechargables are nice.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Boy , there are lots of flashlights and more people modding them than I ever dreamed.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/

I am going to try a 3 watt LED in my 6 cell Maglite. Run time is up around 20 hours. Light output is reported to exceed the stock offerings. I ordered a TerraLUX MiniStar5 P4 from BatteryJunction.com
Service has been great, as well as communication.

It really is amazing the power that is coming from such small packages.

I think it has been posted before, but this one is quite a cooking machine: The Torch

The hot ticket in a suitcase flashlight seems to be the $20 Costco HID. I have not found one of them close, or I am sure I'd add it to my collection.
I don't think of myself as a flashlight nut, but when you sit back and start counting, I start looking a little nutty.

I have a nice Earth Torch that I carry in my bugout bag. I can set it in the sun for the day and have reasonable light all night long. No extra batteries to carry.
On my keychain I pack a Photon Micro light Very nice and easy to use. I have a "normal" red LED micro light on my spare set of keys. It has been with me for years. I only recently upgraded to the new yellow cased light.
My truck carries one of the 6 half D cell rechargables. It was won in a NAPA drawing and uses the high intensity hallogen bulb.
I have one of those huge luggable flashlights modded with a Silverstar bulb. It really sends a beam. Run time is fairly low. Not really worth packing for a long trip, or so I found.
I tried a couple of the shake and shine lights. Fun for the kids, but not really practical.
In the garage I have the Craftsman 19.2 volt flashlight that came with the drill. It has been great. Watch the abuse though. Bulbs can only be purchased from Sears and they are hard to find. I keep a spare after my education, err..uuh drop.
I carry three of the inexpensive Energizer LED headlamps in the truck. One for each of us. They are good for everything. Great around a campsite for hands free lighting. Those are probably the ones I would never want to be without.
Wandering around I would probably find a half dozen more lights. None of really any importance though.
I hope that the LED upgrade for my old 6 D Maglite will bring it back in to favor among my gear. It is much easier to pack than the huge 12 volt monster light.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I have a very nice Inova X5 LED ultraviolet light I am looking forward to some "bug" hunting at night during the Maob trip :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The TerraLux upgrade bulb is in. I like it!

Of the three D cell Maglites I own This is close to the top.
I still think that the rechargeable light may be the best. The LED upgraded may be a tie now. It really is hard to say for sure yet.
The LED upgrade is worthwhile. The field of light is very good. Much more light in the field and a sharper / smaller focal point. With the stock bulb the focused light was the usable light, with the LED the whole field is bright enough.

It is advertised at 140 lumen. That doesn't offer me much help as I do not have a good concept or comparative reference. It is bright enough that you do not want to look at the source. The stock bulb is different there. Compared to the 4 d cell light with a stock bulb the difference is huge. The rechargeable is a hard judgment call. The lights are both bright, but different. The rechargeable has a larger focal point of light.

- ThunderII KE7CSK