Custom rear recovery hitch

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Custom rear recovery hitch

Post by green02crew »

I'm looking to make a rear recovery point. I have an old hitch with 2" drop. I want to turn it upside down so its 2" raise almost like a skid for the rear. But I'm looking for a pin to run through it.

This is what I have:

This is what I want to make it into:
I was thinking an anchor shackle like this however it would be turned sideways due to the hole being up and down not side to side like this one.

Would an anchor shackle still be adequate if turned onto its side? The recovery strap would not move up and down as much as side to side. Would this cause an issue?
Last edited by green02crew on Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Absolutely no issue at all and it would meet the requirements of all the clubs that I am aware of. I am assuming that it would be part of a class II or III hitch.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Yes part of a class III hitch. It has a 2" ball in it now but I would be taking it out for the anchor shackle. Sizing of that is another question.

I would need the pin to be 1" thick to match the bolt hole for the ball. And anchor shackle with an opening of 3/4"+

It looks like the ones that would fit would be 1" shackle (clevis) with 25000lbs capacity 2 1/8" opening and 1" thick pin.

The other is 7/8" shackle (twisted clevis) with 16000lbs capacity 1 5/16" opening and 3/4" thick pin.

The twisted one will orientate the strap horizontal instead of vertical but the pin is smaller than the hole however its opening is also smaller.

The standard clevis has a larger opening but the pin fits tight and my strap would be vertical.

Would up and down slop from the opening be better than slop with the pin through the receiver hole?
Which to choose??
Are the stock front hooks accepted by clubs as recovery points?

Oh and this idea may have been "borrowed" :lol:
Last edited by green02crew on Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I wouldn't worry about the size of the hole. You don't need to leave it in there full time. I'd just keep it with my recovery gear along with a strap, shovel, tree saver....etc.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Getting the ball off the receiver I don't use is a bear. Can't turn it. Looks like cutting it will have to happen.

So what are the ratings for the stock front hooks?
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I cut the lock washer and the ball was able to come right off. I got the twisted clevis with 3/4" pin. The 1" shackle was overly large, the weight was significant and the eyes for the pin were too large for my taste. I did get a sleeve to fit over the pin making it 1". The sleeve had to be ground down slightly to fit in the clevis opening. Fits in the shank hole on the receiver nicely with very little slop. Now to tack weld the sleeve in so it won't come out when hooking up for a tow.

At the rate I've gone, I should have just purchased something designed to do what I want. But that wouldn't have been nearly as fun.

So I take it nobody knows what the front stock tow hooks are rated for? I just want to know what I can pull out with them or if I should look into another mod :D
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

green02crew wrote:So I take it nobody knows what the front stock tow hooks are rated for? I just want to know what I can pull out with them or if I should look into another mod :D
The factory recovery hooks are ok for occasional light use, but if you plan on using them a lot for recovery purposes you can replace them with receiver shackes and tubes which are way stronger. :wink:

S-Series Receiver Tubes

Steve