Here comes the SNOW

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Here comes the SNOW

Post by daevans315 »

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN LINCOLN HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM
WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH FRIDAY
AFTERNOON.

RAIN WILL CHANGE TO FREEZING RAIN ON THURSDAY AFTERNOON. ICE
ACCUMULATIONS GREAT THAN ONE QUARTER INCH ARE POSSIBLE BY LATE
AFTERNOON AND EVENING...ESPECIALLY ON ELEVATED SURFACES...AS
ARCTIC AIR CONTINUES TO FILTER SOUTHEAST. THIS PRECIPITATION WILL
MIX WITH SLEET AND SNOW IN THE EVENING...AND CHANGE OVER TO ALL
SNOW OVERNIGHT. HEAVY SNOW IS POSSIBLE OVERNIGHT...INTO MIDDAY
FRIDAY...WITH ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 12 INCHES POSSIBLE.

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT
SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.
CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.
[size=75]"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Bash.org[/size]
purduecrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by purduecrew »

trade ya! :D
[size=75]2003 Black CC
Hot Feet Fix - Quad Light Mod - 30x9.5 BFG A/T -PA3's - Boise Spring Works Kit - PCM TUNE
COMING: ?[/size]
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

seriously, i can't wait for snow!
[size=75][url=http://www.synergyoffroad.com]Synergy Offroad[/url][/size]
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

WOOT!!! They just went from a Winter Storm Watch to a Warning. Still saying ice and then 6" to 12" of snow!!! Guess I buy some gass for the generator.
[size=75]"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Bash.org[/size]
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

could have used that forcast about 2 weeks ago during deer season. we've had mid 50's and rain for the last 2 days and it's not supposed to get any better over the next 3-4.
stay safe on those icy roads....watch out for the other drivers
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

It's looking like my weekend is going to be fun and snow filled in Cleveland!
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

SNOW is a four letter word to me. When you work for the DOT, you see all the snow that you want and then some. Starting this year will make my 31st winter in this job. If I didn't work where I do I would probably enjoy the snow as much as you do.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

rlrnr53 wrote:SNOW is a four letter word to me. When you work for the DOT, you see all the snow that you want and then some. Starting this year will make my 31st winter in this job. If I didn't work where I do I would probably enjoy the snow as much as you do.
Dayem! Maybe I should start a thread on CC owner's ages but, I am sure I would still be the oldest and not the wisest :wink: When I retired in 05/02 I was a little shy of 30 yrs counting the military. That was over four years ago :wink:

ImageImage

2 1/2 yrs ago :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

Well, I woke up to a quarter inch of ice on everything but the roads and the concrete driveway. The crew was in the garage so I took one look at the ice covered Honda and jumped in the crew. They have moved the start of the snow back but it looks like its going to come down hard and heavy when it does get here.

THE PRECIPITATION WILL DIMINISH BETWEEN 5 AND 11 PM THIS
EVENING...AS THE AIRMASS WARMS AGAIN AHEAD OF THE MAJOR LOW
PRESSURE. DUE TO THAT WARM AIR SURGING NORTH...PRECIPITATION MAY
START OUT AS RAIN AND FREEZING RAIN LATE THIS EVENING AND AFTER
MIDNIGHT. IT MAY ALSO DELAY THE START OF SNOW TO AFTER 3 AM. WHEN
THE SNOW BEGINS...IT WILL COME DOWN UP TO 2 INCHES PER HOUR...
CREATING ZERO VISIBILITY IN THE SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW. TOTAL SNOW
ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 12 INCHES WILL BE POSSIBLE BY THE TIME THE
SNOW TAPERS OFF TOWARD MIDDAY FRIDAY. THE HEAVIEST SNOW TOTALS
WILL BE ALONG AND NORTHWEST OF THE ILLINOIS RIVER BASIN. WINDY
CONDITIONS WILL CAUSE CONSIDERABLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

You guys make me sick. :lol: We're gonna get some rain, and temps just low enough to make me wear a light jacket. :P But no snow! :x
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

Only a 40% chance for snow around here tomorrow night. :drool: Next possible snow is Monday. I love playing in the white stuff. :D
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I would really like the snow to hold off around here until I am moved out of my current house and into my new place. I won't mind 3 feet after that but moving in the snow is too much like work.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
purduecrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by purduecrew »

deavan you seem to be in the middle of the storm right about now, hows it workin out? im sure you are prolly out playin in it
[size=75]2003 Black CC
Hot Feet Fix - Quad Light Mod - 30x9.5 BFG A/T -PA3's - Boise Spring Works Kit - PCM TUNE
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

purduecrew wrote:deavan you seem to be in the middle of the storm right about now, hows it workin out? im sure you are prolly out playin in it

At a bar having a beer waiting. Its sleeting \ raining and 26. THe snow is susposed to kick in about midnight and come down at 2 inches an hour.... I think I'll go home and catch some zzzz's and see what happens.
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

So this is what they mean when they say "Blizzard like conditions". Roads & schools are closed. No tracks on my street from a plow or car. Central IL deals failry well with 10" of snow OR blowing and drifting snow. However, I live on a wooded lot with a pine tree wind break and the drifts are over the hood on the honda. The crew is in the garage and ready to go but I think its going to be there for at least a few hours.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Pictures!

Send some of that weather my way!

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
purduecrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by purduecrew »

wait in the garage???? are you nuts??? use the concrete as a 4 high launch pad and rocket that bad boy right out of there! :P
[size=75]2003 Black CC
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

purduecrew wrote:wait in the garage???? are you nuts??? use the concrete as a 4 high launch pad and rocket that bad boy right out of there! :P
Yeah, :wink: My thoughts exactly. :idea: And take some before & after pictures.

:drool: I'm already picturing/dreaming of the snow donuts that I will be doing this winter. Let it snow here, let it snow here. :pray:
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

driveway is done to the road with my 1975 8hp case lawn mower. took 2 hours for 100 foot of drive way .. no county plow down the road. full size dodge 4wd stuck in the road infront of my house. helped shovel him out. In warming up. then going out to take pics.
Last edited by daevans315 on Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
purduecrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by purduecrew »

i thought the bigger the truck, the harder to get stuck...i have been proven wrong once in my life :lol: :wink: :rock:

anyways, im goin to utica this evening, should I anticipate some fun?

UPDATE:
i called the resort in utica and the lady said she had been there since 10 yesterday and they are digging out of 22"...im on my way!
[size=75]2003 Black CC
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

purduecrew wrote:iUPDATE:
i called the resort in utica and the lady said she had been there since 10 yesterday and they are digging out of 22"...im on my way!
You lucky dog. :hehe:

:popcorn: Pictures?
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

I cant believe we actually got snow when they said we would. It was bad enough here in Normal that the University shut down so I got the day off paid to run around in the snow...it was a good day, would have been better if I had decent tires. I did manage to find quite a few crappy unplowed roads to play on and even with the stock tires I didnt get stuck once.
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

Well my day ended poorly.. but not as poorly as it could have. I went out to the garage to head out to play tonight and the garage smelled strongly of gas. I don't keep gas in the garage because my furnace is in the garage. After a quick look under the crew... i have a gas leak. somewhere around the tank but I couldn't tell the gas from the snow melt. Not sure if I hit something or if I didn't get something back together right after the fuel pump. At least I found it before it leaked enought to blow the garage up when the furnace kicked on. Guess I'll be dropping at tank tomorrow.

I did get some pic's when I headed over to my parents house. Went about a mile down their road plowing the first path with the bumper. It was a little sketchy on some of the hills but it made it in and back out.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Check the hose clamps for the filler neck. I have some help during the off season. The "helper" installed a fuel pump for me and forgot to tighten the hose clamps. Easy fix :mg:

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
purduecrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by purduecrew »

haha well its 11 pm friday nite, im in naperville, north of utica. theres about 6-8 inches on the ground. Not too bad. We are headed to utica tommorow afternoon to the waterpark and drinking extravaganza. Ill try and find some time to take pics and update. seeya
[size=75]2003 Black CC
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

we were supposed to get hit hard up here. it was a blizzard on Friday morning as i made my 45 mile commute to school. i was all over the road and didn't even realize it. no plows, i would run my tires over the rumble strips on the right side of the road, then 20 seconds later i'd be on the left side about in the ditch...i couldn't see the road and hardly see tailights. but i made it safe and sound.
left from school to make the 2 hour trip down here to see my girl in Lansing, and all the snow turned to rain as the temp was right about 33 degrees. a far cry from the 12" they told us was coming, LOL
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

HenryJ wrote:Check the hose clamps for the filler neck. I have some help during the off season. The "helper" installed a fuel pump for me and forgot to tighten the hose clamps. Easy fix :mg:
Close. 2 of the 3 keeper \ plastic catches for the fuel line to fuel pump were MIA. I could just pull them on and off. $5 for a 5 pack of each size and we are fixed. Guy at the parts counter said that sometimes you crack those taking them off and don't realize it. I probably pulled on them a little in the deep snow and popped them the rest of the way off.

Now back to the pictures. Uploading now.
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

Digging out my driveway.

Crew in the driveway after digging out.

Crew in driveway at mom and dads.

What we were up against at my parents.

These are my ruts into my parents house. I ran about a mile cutting my own tracks.

Here is the road beyond where I turned in. There are another 20 houses on down this street and this is 8 hours after the snow stopped. The only thing down the street was a snow mobile.

04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Sweet.
The first year I had my truck I came back to VT in a Christmas blizzard and cut trail like that for 50 miles up through the mountains and down the other side from central NY.
All we got of this storm was a huge rain/thunderstorm that washed out a lot of roads and had me fording spots in the road as much a 6 inches deep on the way home last night.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Sweet; I wish I was there to play. :woohoo:
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

I got to go out and play just a little today. I think the BFG All Terrain TA's are an amazing tire. I could hear the truck loading down against the snow around it and but it would go ahead and start moving. As long as you didn't jam on the gas it would run through about anything I put infront of it. On the hard pack snow and ice that is everwhere here now, they were almost as confidence inspiring as the set of bizzaks I had on one of my subarus.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That is awesome :thumb: Thanks for the pictures!

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:That is awesome :thumb: Thanks for the pictures!
Image I do have some thoughts about "Digging out". At this point in my life I refuse to take action against anything that will go away if, left alone. It applies to a lot of things but, snow and leaves are pretty high up on the list. :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
purduecrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by purduecrew »

haha hijacking in progress::

just made it back from the wonderful state of IL, which was basically destroyed by the snowstorm( bear in mind im excited, cuz its the farthest west ive been!)

the snow was nuts everywhere we went. We came down Interstate 39 to Interstate 80, and 39 wasnt even plowed south of mendota on saturday. cars and semis were all over the place. our destination was utica IL to the grand bear lake lodge( awesome places, pictures below).

the crew I went with...
and yes, thats me on the far right :lol: i got toasted later in the evening

snow action(broad forgot to take pictures while i was yankin cars, figures.)

snow victim:

poser shots:

whats left of the crew(the truck)...
two tone, white and black

i ultimately got to see rockford, utica, peru, la salle, and bloomington (somehow we overshot I-80 by 26 miles, thats a female navigator for you). very pretty places!

I got a chance to exercise the crews extraction abilities, as follows:
ford econoline van with a small trailer, yanked off the outside edge of 39.
mazda 323
new jeep cherokee
ford aspire(Illinois State Campus)
and another mazda(illinois state campus)

as deavan said earlier, the all terrains were nothing short of amazing. i plowed right through the interstate median on three occasions. never a problem, and a tow truck guy was quite impressed!
very fun time! back to normal thread.
[size=75]2003 Black CC
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

I hope all of you have a good time. Most of the windshield time I get during snow is through the windshield of our shop truck going to get a plow truck, or sometimes as a plow driver. Just don't take any unnecessary chances, BE SAFE.
[size=75]Mitch
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

:P Looks like too much fun, should be outlawed! I may go up to Buffalo in the next few weeks, just so I can get some. :lol:
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

I'm ready to try the crew in some snow myself after those pics.

They worth a crap in the snow when they're stock all the way down to the tires?
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

Yeah, they are still good even stock. :D I was the only one on my lane that was able to get out during the 2001(?) Blizzard that shut the majority of the east coast down. We had 2-3 feet of snow. The immediate neighbors and I cleared in front of our houses (100-150 yards), but nobody else did that led out to the main road. So I backed up, through it 4X and got a running start... :D WOOOHOOO was it a blast. Later on in the day, some neighbors asked me to take them to the local convenient store for necessities.

Update, I only got a dusting last night... :cry: Might snow the next two nights though :D .
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

This pile showed up over night last night behind the parking lot at work. Sorry for the lousy phone cam picture but I can't have cameras on my companys property. I just missed the d6 dozer at the top. They are still hauling stuff into this pile. Thats a 10' or 12' high security fence in the forground.

http://www.ubergobbie.com/phone/media/2 ... 165736.jpg

I'll give $50 to the first crew cab owner to launch his truck off the top!!!! :speedy:
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Well the first winter weather arrived in the form of cold and just enough snow to melt and refreeze on the road tonight. I hit a patch of black ice accelerating form a 45MPH zone to a 50MPH uphill with a @#@## tailgating me when I "found" the black ice and my rear end tried to pass my front end. I was without my toolbox and at a half a tank of gas so was around 200lbs lighter than normal. I was able to keep it on the road and in my lane with a fast combination of wheel and pedal action but I bet the guy behind me needed to change his shorts when he got home :lol: At one point I was sliding sideways at nearly 50MPH toward a 6' ditch thinking even I can't get up the other side of that I better get this thing turned around right quick.
snocat1
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by snocat1 »

Was out Sat. to put in snowmobile trails in the snow and the old crew was awesome in the snow and going through the ditcthes that had a bunch of snow and no problem.
[size=75]2001 crew cab with a quick hatch tonneau cover
235/75/15 bridgestone dueler at revos[/size]
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

Add light snow, wet roads, 10 degree temp drop in an hour and what so you get ? Absolute CHAOS! First snow of the of the year, and ignorance abounds. Roads turned int a skating rink. It seems 99% of the drivers on the road yesterday lost all knowledge of how to drive on slick roads. It was taking 2 to 3 hours to drive 10 miles. Add to the fact that no one would move over for snow equipment to get thru and you get miles of linear parking. Having put in 26 1/2 hours from 7am Thursday morning until 11am Friday morning, I hope you can understand why I am not to fond of winter. Maybe in a couple of years, I can retire from the state and start enjoying winter again. END RANT
[size=75]Mitch