Tow straps

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Tow straps

Post by 04crewvt »

I was just looking over my tool kit in prep for next weekend and was looking at the tow strap my dad had given me. It is rated for 6000lbs but with a working load of only 2000lbs, this seems too low for safety in any recovery situation. Any suggestions on how strong a good tow strap should be rated for our trucks?
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I went with a 20,000 pound rated strap because because our rigs are 4,500#s +. Add inclines, mud and the straps need to be much higher rated. Bwenny turned me onto a local source that had reasonable prices. I can't find the link now for their online catalog. I paid about $50 for mine. It is from a place called Trailblazers in Lexington, KY.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

I have a 30,000 lbs Keeper tow strap. You're always better safe than sorry!! :)
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

f9k9 wrote:I went with a 20,000 pound rated strap because because our rigs are 4,500#s +. Add inclines, mud and the straps need to be much higher rated. Bwenny turned me onto a local source that had reasonable prices. I can't find the link now for their online catalog. I paid about $50 for mine. It is from a place called Trailblazers in Lexington, KY.

sounds like the one i have. it's even yellow to match reed's truck!!!! :lol:
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I carry 2 Highland 30 ft tow straps plus one of their 30' recovery straps. :D

Highland 30' Tow Strap @ Summit Racing
Highland 30' Recovery Strap @ Summit Racing

If you don't mind spending more money the Pro-Comp straps are very nice. :wink:

Steve
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Well it looks like a frantic look at local stores to find a good recovery strap is in order for the week. Got to have a proper recovery/tow strap before the weekend. Glad I looked before I try any fun stuff.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

04crewvt wrote:Well it looks like a frantic look at local stores to find a good recovery strap is in order for the week.
I believe Wally World, Kragen Auto Parts, Vatozone, and Orchard hardware store all carry Highland/Keeper tow straps. :wink:

Steve
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Well at least I have one of those around here, Wally World is just around the corner from work.Otherwise it's the Advance Auto parts store. Also just a bit away from work. I will try for at least the 20000lb strap
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I'm sure everyone already knows this, but there is a difference between a tow strap and a recovery strap. Tow straps do not stretch while recovery straps do stretch 20-30%. A tow strap is good for slow pulls while a recovery strap is good for trying "yank" a stuck vehicle out of the snow or mud. It is not advisable to "yank" a vehicle out with a tow strap for obvious reasons. :shock: You never know what situation might arise and this is why I carry both types of straps. :wink:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Avoid one with hooks. The loop over a hook or through a clevis in a hitch are preferable.

Here is the NAPA strap that I carry
Last edited by HenryJ on Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Thats the plan. I am really hoping my 2in receiver shackle comes in this week as well. I am waiting on a lot of things to try and get ready for next weekend . There will be some wrenching this week after work that's for sure.
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

My strap is a wally-world special. Rated at 15,000 lbs. No metal hooks. It's worked just fine for everything i've done with it, from picking up a 30 yd dumpster full of shingles with a Lull, to pulling a honda civic out of the woods in the snow.

Don't stress yourself out too much over getting some super fancy, expensive strap. We've all got them, and as long as yours doesn't have hooks on the end, and is at least rated for 1.5x your vehicle weight(what's that, like 7k lbs or so?), you're good to go.
[size=75][url=http://www.synergyoffroad.com]Synergy Offroad[/url][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

SuperStrap.com. Nuff said IMO :)
ImageImage

They're pretty expensive, but worth it. I have a 25' 1" strap, and it's probably seen 10,000 pounds if not more, on several occaisions.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Went to Wally world last night. They had the Highland straps in stock but the heaviest duty was the 17000lbs rated one for $25 so thats what I ended up with. I may get a stronger one later, we will have to see how much wheeling I do. The SuperStrap looks good, I was looking at that one on line before you posted.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

My tow strap is broken in. I had to help the Taco behind me on the rock obsticle. The line he took got him hung up on his crossmember and he needed an assist. Everyone who made the rock waited to help the next guy in the line it was great teamwork.