First towing experience with the CC

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

First towing experience with the CC

Post by 2kwik4u »

Drug around a 20' utility trailer last night for a few hours. Trailer weighs probably 1500-1800 or so I would guess. It's pretty light for a trailer I think. Wood plank deck, and made mostly of steel angle, so not alot to it. With 90% of my houshold items on it I'd say I added another 1500 lbs or so. Thats just a rough guestimate with a 36" TV, 2 couchs, 2 dressers, coffee table, and a crapload of boxes.

Had to purchase a drawbar, ball, and pin from Wal-Mart before I could pick it up. Found a "starter kit" with those three items for $20 or so. Worked well except I didn't notice it was a 3.5" drop instead of the 2" I initially had picked out. Hitch was a bit low, and could've stood to be another 3" or so off the ground. Guess I'll have to find another drawbar somewhere in the future.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the way it towed. I used D for dragging it around empty, and 3 when it was loaded. Both times it seemed that the truck had plenty of power and brakes, and felt pretty stable overall. Granted I never exceeded about 55mph it still felt fine.

I'm curious to see how it acts with the Xtreme on a trailer behind it. I've still got to put a tranny cooler, and temp gauge on it before then. If it does decent enough I might discontinue my thoughts of upgrading to a Silverado SS in the springtime!
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

With around 6000 pounds total (including trailer weight), mine got a bit squirrely at 75+ :)
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

Walt wrote:With around 6000 pounds total (including trailer weight), mine got a bit squirrely at 75+ :)
Yea I figured as the speed went up so would the "suirrelyness" :D

Might pull the uncles boat to the lake in a few weeks. Nice 28' 3-log pontoon. I think it's about 3,800lbs or so......Although he's pulled it with his wifes Venture, so I'm sure it's not that bad.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

2kwik4u wrote:....Although he's pulled it with his wifes Venture, so I'm sure it's not that bad.
Anything pulled with a minivan can't be that bad. :lol:

EDIT: Never mind.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

Kinda my thinking as well :D
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

Well I get to do some more towing with the Crew tonight. I was really hoping to have a tranny cooler, and temp gauge on it before I had to tow the Xtreme, but I'm moving, and I absolutely HAVE to get this thing out of the garage this week. Luckily I'm only towing it about 40 miles or so. Shouldn't be too hard on the truck I don't think. Going after work to pickup the trailer, and then head back to the house to get the Xtreme. I'll be sure to snap some pics for everyone.

Tonight performance will dictate if I keep the crew or not. I bought it with the intention of repairing my credit. So in April it's either getting traded off, or refinanced with a better interest rate......Kinda hoping it tows well, as I like the truck, but at the same time, I know a fullsize would be a better tool for this particular job.
Jim

Post by Jim »

2kwik4u wrote:Well I get to do some more towing with the Crew tonight. I was really hoping to have a tranny cooler, and temp gauge on it before I had to tow the Xtreme, but I'm moving, and I absolutely HAVE to get this thing out of the garage this week. Luckily I'm only towing it about 40 miles or so. Shouldn't be too hard on the truck I don't think. Going after work to pickup the trailer, and then head back to the house to get the Xtreme. I'll be sure to snap some pics for everyone.

Tonight performance will dictate if I keep the crew or not. I bought it with the intention of repairing my credit. So in April it's either getting traded off, or refinanced with a better interest rate......Kinda hoping it tows well, as I like the truck, but at the same time, I know a fullsize would be a better tool for this particular job.
I towed a VW VR6 Jetta for 100 miles on a dolly. On the flats were fine but hills were no fun. I'd do it again if I had to, but wouldn't make a regular practice of it.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

This will be on a full trailer, and the Xtreme is prolly a bit lighter than the Jetta, but the trailer is overkill.....I'm very curious how it's going to work out.
Jim

Post by Jim »

2kwik4u wrote:This will be on a full trailer, and the Xtreme is prolly a bit lighter than the Jetta, but the trailer is overkill.....I'm very curious how it's going to work out.
Jetta was heaver than I thought. If you have 3.73 gears and not many hills you should be fine. I assume the trailer has brakes?
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

Nope no trailer brakes tonight. Trailer has them, but no controller in the crew at this time.

I'm using tonight as a worst case test. No tranny cooler, or temp gauge, no WDH, no trailer brakes.

If I don't scare the ever loving hell out of myself, then I'll keep the crew for some time, and refinance it in the spring. If I scare the piss out of myself, then I'll dump it in April, and get a Silverado.
Jim

Post by Jim »

2kwik4u wrote:Nope no trailer brakes tonight. Trailer has them, but no controller in the crew at this time.

I'm using tonight as a worst case test. No tranny cooler, or temp gauge, no WDH, no trailer brakes.

If I don't scare the ever loving hell out of myself, then I'll keep the crew for some time, and refinance it in the spring. If I scare the piss out of myself, then I'll dump it in April, and get a Silverado.
The Crews brakes will be good for one fast stop but may fade as they heat up. Another stop too soon after the first you may need to change your shorts :oops:
Best Regards, Jim
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

Well, I towed the Xtreme with the ZR5 last night. I have to say I'm somewhat impressed by how it handled, and dealt with the ~5k lbs trailer setup without a problem.

I didn't use a WDH, Trailer brakes, or any additional springs. BONE STOCK ZR5 setup, and it towed just fine. I was actually VERY impressed with the brakes, they stopped the truck and trailer fine, although I will admit to not having a panic stop on the 40 mile trip, and I'm sure that will change things.

I towed in 3rd, although I think D would've been OK, as there were very few hills. I dropped into D for a short while on the expressway, and the convertor locked/unlocked a few times, but it never dropped to 3rd with the cruise set on 65. Not sure what the tranny temps were, and I went back to 3rd as soon as I got into any sort of traffic or hills. Future plans include getting a trans temp gauge, a superginormous cooler, and a tune to remove TM, add tow/haul button finctionality, and bump the line pressure a small amountfor some holding power.

Suspension I think I'm going to leave mostly stock, however I most likely will add some over-leaf airbags just to help the appearance when towing. I'm sure a WDH will help with that quite a bit as well. Trailer brakes are also going to be on the trailer that I purchase with and accompaning controller in the truck.

In the end I feel alot better about that capability of the ZR5 after last night.

Pics can be found here
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The brake control is a good investment. Even if you decide to go fullsize it can be transferred.

How often do you plan to tow and what distance?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

HenryJ wrote:The brake control is a good investment. Even if you decide to go fullsize it can be transferred.

How often do you plan to tow and what distance?
The Xtreme will end up on a trailer probably 3-4 times a year. From louisville to Atlanta, St. Louis, and Columbus......Atlanta being the furthest, and most "severe" trip. I think between my buddies and I, we tow something like 20-30 times a year, with the average distance being about 120-150 miles, and the longest being closer to 650 or so.

All of this is subject to change if I get a boat in the spring. Then it will be easily once a week average within a 250 mile range one way for 5 months a year.