WHAT!! (speedometer correction)

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

gairbear
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

WHAT!! (speedometer correction)

Post by gairbear »

I just got back from the dealer where I bought my cc a few weeks ago and I wanted them to check some stuff for me. one thing was the speedometer setting. and he told me that they could NOT change the speedo programming to compensate for 30" tires...or any tires for that matter...they only have 2 steeing one for the stock wheels and one for 20' wheels....what does the wheel (rim) size have to do with speedo setting.,....I'm flaburgasted

Edited title-HJ
Black '02 crew cab-30" BFG's, K & N FIPK, Go Rhino step bars, 2" body lift
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

They may only be able to adjust for sizes that were available to them or as options.
A creative tech can use gearing a wheel/tire sizes to get you close. They do not have the options that we have with the HPPIII, I am afraid.
I know on the fullsize the 20" rims were available for the Railroad vehicles.
If you are just wanting to adjust from 29" to 30" tires, they may not be able to help you. They should be able to correct for 31's though , as they were available for the Z's.
Clock yours and see just how far off it is.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Get the HPPIII. I got mine calibrated for 35's/4.88's. The setting that worked for that was 32's/4.56's. Since the HPPIII can be set for a max of 33's and 4.56's, like Henry said, I still had to be creative with the combo, but it's right on the money.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

To my amazement, when I switched to 30" BFG AT from some very worn stock tires, my speedo was right on according to two GPS' and a calibrated speedo on a Crown vic Police interceptor.
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

border man wrote:To my amazement, when I switched to 30" BFG AT from some very worn stock tires, my speedo was right on according to two GPS' and a calibrated speedo on a Crown vic Police interceptor.
The same thing happened with my 30/9.50 yokohomas. Drove me nuts adjusting with my HPPIII programer. When I put the tire size back to stock it, was right on the money!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
gairbear
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gairbear »

How do you know it's right...how do you test it exactly??
Black '02 crew cab-30" BFG's, K & N FIPK, Go Rhino step bars, 2" body lift
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Last edited by HenryJ on Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Mile markers at 60 mph will give you an idea or borrow a GPS.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Yea, I use my GPS.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]