Duct tape body work

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Duct tape body work

Post by 04crewvt »

Split topic since this was getting a life of it's own-HJ

In VT the inspection law used to read that there could be no holes through the body panels but they didn't specify how the holes should be patched. My 84 s-15 Jimmy was badly rotted out along the rear fender wells and the fix for inspection was to create a duct tape form and fill it with an expandable foam core. Worked well until it was hit and it literally exploded on contact into a thousands bits.Image
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

That kinda sounds like the WV inspection laws. At least it is not OH laws, I don't even think they have inspections, but I'm not 100% sure. I've seen cars driven on the highways over there without any hoods, fenders, etc. :shock:
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

WVHogRider wrote:That kinda sounds like the WV inspection laws. At least it is not OH laws, I don't even think they have inspections, but I'm not 100% sure. I've seen cars driven on the highways over there without any hoods, fenders, etc. :shock:
Ohio had some of the earliest inspection laws (excluding CA) but, they may have weakened. I was required inspection stickers in the early to mid 70s in Ohio. I was born in MI and half raised in OH. TEH second Mrs Hoff was from Williamson, WV ( a direct decsendent of the founder). So, I may be somewhat of a basturd child.

Bottom line is I pulled the plug from my first gov't job in KY so, I will call KY my home. :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

Well, as I said, I wasn't 100% sure. I thought some of my buddies just had to have insurance. Wow--The 2nd Mrs. Hoff is from way down south WV near where my 1st and recent ex's grew up, Beckley, WV.

Basturd child... :lol: :lol: ...I thought that was my parent's nickname for me growing up.... :lol: :lol: J/K...

KY is beautiful. I drove across the whole state about a year ago a couple times. I had to go to Paducah, KY.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

WVHogRider wrote:I've seen cars driven on the highways over there without any hoods, fenders, etc. :shock:
:lol: I know this is a bit :offtopic: but you just brought back a funny memory for me. :lol: When I first met my wife I used to drive 40 minutes one way to her house in my 68 impala that had no hood, no fenders, no exhaust, and open headers. :wink: I did this for almost a month before I finally got the car put back together. :oops: Luckily the police never saw me. :lol: I must have been hooked or somethin. :lol:

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

No need to worry about offending me, few will dispute that I am weak at heart at offending others :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

I can picture it now Killian96SS. :lmao: I remember following my brother when he was driving our '72 Chevelle over to get paintedback in 1990. Looked probably about the same--except we had already removed both bumpers, grill, etc, and all the lights were just dangling around. :lol: :lol:
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Here in OH, they're pretty lenient, that is, the closer you get into the inner city and down town! I live a good 35 to 40 minute drive from downtown in an eastern suburb and you can definately tell the difference on how the police operate. But we have been driving the '52 Ford F100 around for a while now with no rear fenders. When we first got it running, there was nothing but a cab on it! We drove past a bunch of cops and none of them ever stopped us!

As for having holes in the body or damaged vehicles, just about every other car on the road near downtown / East Cleveland looks like it's been driven off a cliff! I've seen some pretty messed up cars on the road down there: bent frames, wobbling wheels, smoking cars that are burning oil, hanging exhaust, smashed windows, missing doors, bungie cords holding the trunk and/or hood down.... The list goes on!!! But the cops don't stop these people.

The only thing they're strict on now is the E-check for emissions. That's all they check at inspection.
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

Current WV inspection laws require that holes must be filled with some type of filler material. 100 mph tape was outlawed a few years ago.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

rlrnr53-You are correct in that you can't have 100 mph tape to simply cover holes in the body, but as 04crewvt stated making a form and filling it with foam, which is what I have seen some people do here in WV. Just make the form, fill it with something like the expandable insulating foam, let stand, remove tape, shave excess away, and then spray paint it. :evil:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Split topic since this was gettin a life of it's own-HJ :lol:

My, my, my, ain't we gettin' a tad picky :wink:
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

since were dealing with duct tape can this be a sticky.Image

Sorry, my bad !
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Nascar does it all the time, why is it bad on a personal vehicle? ;)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:Nascar does it all the time, why is it bad on a personal vehicle? ;)

There goes that strange form of auto racing again. Maybe 3x a year they are able to turn right and if, weather is unpleasant (outside of road courses) they postpone racing for a brighter day. Sounds like wussies to me :wink:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Probably right. It takes a real man to drive straight :mg:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:Probably right. It takes a real man to drive straight :mg:
:hehe:
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

I actually like watching NASCAR. It gives me another reason to drink cold ones with the guys. :cheers:
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Ah with all the regulations and the way the cars are crippled, Nascar has become too much like 500 miles of tailgating. Now if they went back to putting STOCK CARS out there and seing what happens then I would be more interested.
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

Now if they went back to putting STOCK CARS out there and seing what happens then I would be more interested.
Exactly. I'm not saying go way back in the day to drive your regular street car, but actually run a hopped up "Stock Car"-Like during Richard Petty's time. The cars running today on the track still use a carb.---Aren't Monte Carlo's and all these other cars now fuel injected that we buy at the dealers.

I know we are off :offtopic: again and that is how this thread got started so, I'll be quiet for now.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Yea but since it was split off as my topic I can take it anywhere right?Image
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

WVHogRider wrote:I actually like watching NASCAR. It gives me another reason to drink cold ones with the guys. :cheers:
We need a reason :shock: Image
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

Nope, I don't need a reason anymore. However, when I was married, I would just always told her that she was the reason. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

NOW THAT"S AN EMOTICON!!!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

04crewvt wrote:Image

NOW THAT"S AN EMOTICON!!!
It is an extension for the firefox browser Smiley Xtra
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Guess I just never found that one. I use that extension all the time.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

04crewvt wrote:Guess I just never found that one. I use that extension all the time.
You may want to go into it's properties and click on "Check for updates automatically" or whatever. I don't recall seeing it before either :wink:
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Ya mine is set to auto update. I just had never looked into the food and drink category.