Code Scanners - Opinions?

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

Rusty

Code Scanners - Opinions?

Post by Rusty »

Since there are a couple of tool topics going, I thought I'd add another one. I need to get a decent code scanner for reading codes on OBD I & II systems. I know several people on this site have them and I'm curious as to what brand/model, what features, how much, any limitations, and how do you like them. Also, where is a good online place to buy one. I want to try to find something that's not too expensive but I don't want something that's too basic either.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I am using the Actron CP9145. I found it miss labeled @ Pep Boys for $169. I think the MSRP is more like $299.

Features:

Read & erase generic OBD II trouble codes (including pending codes)
Read & erase GM/Ford/Chrysler OBD II manufacturer-specific codes
Optional cables available to read & erase OBD I GM/Ford/Chrysler trouble codes
Large easy-to-read LCD screen that provides Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) and their definitions
Turn off Check Engine Light (Malfunction Indicator Lamp or MIL)

Extremely user friendly menu provides:

Monitor Status and I/M Readiness to determine if vehicle is ready for an emissions test. I/M Readiness is an excellent function to use prior to having a vehicle inspected for compliance to a state emissions program
All emission testing facilities will fail a vehicle which has the "check engine light" lit at the time of the test
Alerts user to any pending Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs), and reads Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) status
Built-in help screens
View live engine data parameters (PIDs)
View freeze frame data
Review data
Code definitions are stored in the tool
Ruggedly built for both shop and road test use
Tool is fully upgradeable, accommodating future vehicles (including C.A.N.)
1 year warranty
Assembled in U.S.A.

Benefits:

Step up from a simple code reader to a scan tool at an affordable price.
OBD I and OBD II software built in: no additional cartridges to buy
Expandable to cover OBD I vehicles with optional cables
Internal 9 volt battery stores latest test results for later review

Includes:

SUPER AutoScanner CP9145 Base Unit
OBD II Cable
8-Foot Extension Cable
Manual/CD-ROM with over 5,000 code definitions
Soft Carrying Case

I am very happy with this scan tool, and I like all the extra features which most of the cheaper scan tools do not offer. :D

Steve
Last edited by killian96ss on Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

I Have An Autoxray 6000.

They Are Not Real Cheep...699.00 On Their Web Site But I Got A New One On Ebay For 450.00 Shipped, I Registered It On Their Site And Got A Free 3 Year Warrenty With It From The Company.

Auto Xray 6000
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I just found the Actron CP9150 at Amazon for $265. Basically it's the CP9145 but with all the extra adapters in a complete kit with carrying case. I think that's the way I'm going to go. It won't totally destroy my budget and it will pay for itself when I can fix my own problems and not have to take the cars to someone else.

Actron CP9150
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

This is what the CP9150 looks like.

MSRP is like $400, so you got a good deal at only $265. :thumb: I think you will find this scan tool very helpful. :D

Steve
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Another good tool to have is a multimeter. I am using the Actron CP7677.

Tests engine RPM and dwell
Measures AC/DC voltage, DC current and resistance
Tests diodes and continuity
Tests starting & charging, ignition and fuel delivery systems
24 Ranges for more accurate measurements
Locate faulty wiring and components
Audible Tone
Extra-large, easy-to-read digital LCD
Hold button retains display data
On-screen test leads connection reminder
Automatic reverse polarity indication
Automatic zero adjustment for volts and amps for accurate measurements
Low battery indication for user convenience (9V battery not included)
Overload protection on all ranges
Fold-out stand for better viewing
Includes protective boot, detachable color-coded test leads and alligator clips
Comprehensive user manual with illustrated step-by-step automotive test procedures and examples in English, Spanish and French
1 year warranty

There are several other companies that make multimeters. I just happen to have this one because I have always been happy with Actron's quality. :D

Steve
Last edited by killian96ss on Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

killian96ss wrote:Another good tool to have is a multimeter. I am using the Actron CP7677.
I have one I got not too long ago that I used to adjust my back-up generator. It wasn't running quite at 60hz so my computer had fits when it had to run on generator power (which thankfully doesn't happen often).

http://www.extech.com/instrument/produc ... 2-816.html

It isn't the greatest but it works pretty well for what I've needed it for.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I've always been partial to Fluke....I've got three, and one of them is eight years old and still kicking (after being run over once, and dropped 35 feet). :)
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I think it all goes to what you want to do with one. If you have a laptop, Autotap (OBD II) is really nice since it offers so much more than a handheld scanner.

A handheld is nice since it can be grabbed quickly set up and read. Quick and easy.
I have an AutoXray at the shop. It works , but is frustrating sometimes since it does not go far enough. It is an older unit and does scan codes as needed. I can't rave about it, but it is pretty good.

On the subject of multimeters. I did lots of looking for an affordable clamp on DC ammeter. Craftsman was all I found.
It is great! If you are shopping for one , try to find one with a clamp on DC ammeter.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

HenryJ wrote:I have an AutoXray at the shop. It works , but is frustrating sometimes since it does not go far enough.
"Does Not Go Far Enough"......What Am I Missing With My AutoXray?? Can You Explain A Little More Detail As To What I Should Be Looking For? :?:

Mine Will Link With My Laptop. I Just Havent Really Had A Chance To Play With Its Full Capabilities Yet.
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

gocntry wrote:"Does Not Go Far Enough"......What Am I Missing With My AutoXray?? Can You Explain A Little More Detail As To What I Should Be Looking For?
I would like to see it retrieve transmission codes, allow for phasing the camshaft position sensor, read out 02 sensor voltages for all the sensors at the same time, Heck even to view more than one sensor reading at the same time would be nice and a few other "small" things.

I too bought the PC link software. It is a must to keep the unit up to date. I have not found much use for viewing captured data on the computer though.

AutoTap with the enhanced GM data kind of spoils you. I can read and clear codes as well as view over 4600 different parameters. I can choose as many or few as I want and also the format in which I wish to view these. I can have digital gauges reading engine horsepower, torque, rpm, voltage, advance, intake air temperature , transmission temperature, mph, etc. all on the same screen and view the relationships with the engine running.

I tend to be a somewhat "visual" person, so the small LCD readout on the AutoXray is a little "ho-hum" to me. The full screen set of gauges with a mix of analog, digital and graphed readouts is :schwing:

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:I did lots of looking for an affordable clamp on DC ammeter. Craftsman was all I found.
It is great! If you are shopping for one , try to find one with a clamp on DC ammeter.
Does this look similar to the Craftsman with the clamp on DC ammeter?

This one is made by KAL Equip. Part # KAL 3001 MSRP $210.

This auto ranging multimeter has all the best features required for today's professional technician. Special quick path buttons and rotary dial make this an excellent diagnostic tool for today's computer controlled systems.

DC Volts range: 400mV - 1000V
AC Volts range: 4V - 750V
OHMS: 400 - 40M
DC Amps: 4mA - 15A
AC Amps: 4mA - 15A
Dwell; 4, 5, 6, and 8 cylinder
Tach/RPM
Duty cycle
Continuity
Diode check
Frequency
Temperature

Features:

Automotive reverse polarity protection and overload protection
Automatic zero adjust
Automatic power off
Audible tone for continuity
Data hold
10M input
Autorange
BarGraph
DIS on Tach
Temperature probe
Inductive tach pickup
Min/Max measurement
Capacitance
Memory recall
Protective boot and rugged plastic housing
Low battery indicator
Soft case

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:Does this look similar to the Craftsman with the clamp on DC ammeter?
Not really-

I paid $99 for it. Here is the thread.

The amperage reading on that KAL multimeter does not go nearly high enough to be useable in an automotive application, IMO. The Craftsman will go to 600A AC or DC.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:
killian96ss wrote:Does this look similar to the Craftsman with the clamp on DC ammeter?
Not really-

I paid $99 for it.
Wow that is a nice meter for only $99. :thumb:
HenryJ wrote:The amperage reading on that KAL multimeter does not go nearly high enough to be useable in an automotive application.
Good point. :) My Actron multimeter doesn't read amps that high either. :(

Steve