HPPIII, 93 octane and the price of gasoline...

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

Rusty

HPPIII, 93 octane and the price of gasoline...

Post by Rusty »

I don't know how many of you out there are using the HPIII and have your trucks programmed for 93 octane. I tried it on mine in the hopes it might help the gas mileage, at least enough to offset the higher price of the 93. It seems to run better for the most part although I haven't really noticed the mileage getting any better. What I have noticed is a lot more problems with the occasional bad batch of gas than I used to have running 87. It usually crops up in the form of hard starting and rough idle and lack of performance that comes and goes with each tankful. This made me think about the spiralling gas prices and the possibilities of the more expensive stuff not selling as fast and going stale in the tanks at the gas stations. I think I'm going back to the stock programming. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I run the 93 setting and always use the 93 octane , but I can tell you I get better MPG from the Shell 93 Vpower gas.

replace those stock plugs and wires rusty and dont forget that old fuel filter :)
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

jeff024 wrote:replace those stock plugs and wires rusty and dont forget that old fuel filter :)
Tune-up is in the works. Also, unfortunately, I'm nowhere near a Shell station. Exxon and Citgo are the only ones close to me.

I guess what I was trying to get at is the idea that most people won't spend the extra money for the 93 stuff with prices going through the roof and the possibility of it going stale. I'm thinking I'm better off not chancing getting a tank load of garbage and to stick with 87 for now. Just curious what anyone else thought.

Besides, the Scottish side of me is rebelling for spending the extra $.20 a gallon! :lol:
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

You may be on to something there, Rusty. I was gonna fill up with 93 the other evening but about half way through the financing application, I came to my senses. :lol:
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I paid $2.69 for 93 today
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

barch97 wrote:...I was gonna fill up with 93 the other evening but about half way through the financing application, I came to my senses.
:lol: :lol:
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

jeff024 wrote:I paid $2.69 for 93 today
Did YOU have to get financing for that fill up??? :lol:
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

saw $2.69 for regular 87 :shock:
drove around 'til i found a station for $2.55 and filled up.....$40!!! first time I've spent $40 to fill up....the way things are going, deffinitly won't be the last :(
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I went over to mow around my Mom's house this morning. When I went past the gas station on the way there, it was $2.59 for 93 and on the return trip, 3 hours later, it had changed to $2.65. :shock:

I don't know if anyone has noticed but I've seen a lot of these electronic price signs springing up at the stations. I guess it makes these mid day price changes easier. :?
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

I mentioned it already in the other thread but I am paying the equivalent to $4.15 Per Gallon here . HOly Crap !
I spend about $10 a day on gas . 87oct .
The Cheveron stations and husky stations around here give you 90 octance for the price of regular
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I have my HPPIII tuned for 93 but, I have run the 89 octane fuel from the "get-go" w/o any pinging issues. I usually run the Shell brand.

Just as the world changed forever after 9/11, I am beginning to wonder if we are in the midst of another permament change.

I know that I should post this in the NOS gas prices section. Sorry, I am really holding back on a serious soapbox session!

Anyway, using the 89 octane fuel with the HPPIII set for 93 is not helping or hindering the fuel economy on my particular crew.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

f9k9 wrote:Sorry, I am really holding back on a serious soapbox session!

You have my curiosity!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Rusty wrote:
f9k9 wrote:Sorry, I am really holding back on a serious soapbox session!

You have my curiosity!

Will go on in the other topic when I collect my thoughts. :D

Will give you a short hint :D

I love what Tony Blair is attempting to do :D

I had about 15 National Guardsmen and 2 state troopers with me on the morning when 9/11 happened when my permanent mounted gov't cell phone rang. It was my boss who. was also our aerial dope spotter/observer.

I was having a very good year at poker and we waiting on our air support. :o

My cell phone went off and I answered it to be asked if I had my radio on. I was thinking ground to air radio and said "yeah". He dropped the bomb on me about the twin towers, the pentagon and PA and advised me that all aircraft were grounded and to make my way back in.

The bottom line is that I told the crew that life will never be the same as it was before that phone call :(

The young trooper advised that. he has heard stories about the moon landing, JFK being assasinated, MLK being assasinated and how all that the people that could remember is what they were doing at the moment that the story broke.

He was just trying to convey that all he had to remember was losing to me in cards :o .

Dagnabit, I tried.....sorry, Brule
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

I mentioned it already in the other thread but I am paying the equivalent to $4.15 Per Gallon here .
you're talking canadian money right.....i hope :? still i think that comes to around 3.50ish american dollers???? sheeeesh.
time to buy a Geo Metro
There :D that's better!
:lol:
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

I suppose it is in candian dollars : 1.10 Per Liter x 3.78Liter for one gallon = about $4.15 a gallon . Then convert to USDollars
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

Pauleo wrote:
jeff024 wrote:I paid $2.69 for 93 today
Did YOU have to get financing for that fill up??? :lol:
no paul I dont pepsi pays me 40.5 cent a mile so they pay for my gas :)
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

bwenny247 wrote:time to buy a Geo Metro
There :D that's better!
Love it! Only decent thing I've ever seen anyone make out of one of those cars! :lol:
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

gone up again......$2.80/gal here for regular, $3.00+ for premium
:( :cry:
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I paid 2.84 a gal today for 93 octane
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Everyone knows about GasPriceWatch.com right?
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I Just stop when I need gas not gonna drive outta my way for a few cent
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Gas is $2.75 here in the suburbs of Cleveland for regular, so I've just been riding my mountain bike to work now. It's a little over a 5 mile ride, but I can use some exercise!
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

jeff024 wrote:no paul I dont pepsi pays me 40.5 cent a mile so they pay for my gas :)
jeff024 wrote:I Just stop when I need gas not gonna drive outta my way for a few cent
When I said "everyone" I meant everyone that actually pays for gas. I've seen as much as a thirty cent difference in price within the the same city. Maybe an extra five dollars a tank means nothing to you but then don't complain about a fifteen cent per gallon increase over four days.

And, no doubt the price of pepsi will be rising soon to compensate for fuel expenses.
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

the gas is almost like buying PEPSI , we can train the consumer to pretty much pay what we wanna charge yeah there gonna be pissed for awhile but a true pepsi only drinker will start to pay the prices pretty much what there doing to us with gas
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

hey what do ya know, nobody buys gas when it's $2.80/gal and the next day it's down to $2.65/2.66/2.70/2.74/2.78 all depending on where you go in town.

hmmm......$.25 increase one day, $.15 decrease the next, i can't wait for tomorrows episode of the gas price soap opera, stay tuned!
Maximous
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Maximous »

they tired that here, i was in Kuwait, they sent out an email Air Force wide advising no one to buy gas on (well say the 7th) so it would hurt the gas company so bad they would have to drop thier price from $1.16 or what ever it was, so like the drones we are no one bought gas thinking they were making a positive change, needless to say the gas companies saw it differently and the next day (the 8th) gas was at $1.35, kinda messed up that idea didnt they
[size=75]Driver carries no money, he's a Government employee[/size]
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

down to $2.55 :D looks like i can go fill up again, YEAH!
LOL......or maybe if i hold out, it will keep going down :lol: