intakes and mud/water

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

intakes and mud/water

Post by bwenny247 »

I have an offhand question for anyone reading...as far as intakes and wheelin go:

I've got the FIPK open cone filter and for going through mud/water-holes would i be better off using the stock intake box/filter because it's enclosed or do you think the open cone will be ok? I've wheeled with the K&N and haven't had any problems yet. but i always worry about getting water and muck in the engine or ruining the K&N filter.

anyone with experience or an opinion?
thanks! :D
Ben
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

How deep of a fording are you crossing and at what speed?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

I'm guessing (I've never stopped in the middle to see) no less than 24" and no more than 36" deep??? I usually crawl the front tire in, maybe 5MPH, and take off from there.

there's enough muck/water flying around to get the engine and underside of the hood wet and dirty. next time I'm out I'll have to get some photos.

Coffee or quickbiker, what type of intakes do you have. I know you've gone through some wild stuff. any suggestions.

Thanks
Ben
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I don't get a chance to make crossings like this very often-

That was done using the modded stock airbox. The bow wake tends to leave a low area behind the bumper. As long as you maintain forward motion there is little risk of water getting into the intake.

I would say that the stock airbox and a paper filter would probably be the safest option right now.
A snorkel would be very nice, but I haven't figured that one out quite yet. I'd love to have one, and have been trying to work one out.

OK, lost the track here :oops:

Cotton gauze filters do not stop water like the paper filters do. Water tends to go right through them. The K&N FIPK does have the conical filter sitting pretty low. The elbow probably sits 4" lower than the stock airbox intake does. This could be remedied somewhat by cutting the elbow shorter and raising the filter. The risk there is that it may be easier to transfer some filter oil to the MAF sensors.
Everything is give-and-take. One thing can effect another.

I would say keep the water from going over the top of your bumper and you'll be OK. Use caution.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

on a related note : Is there anything I , or anyone , should be sealing or protecting underneath the truck ? or is it all waterproof/non affected items under there ( not under the hood ) ?
I know the tranny has some electrical plugs and there are some other things to that look like they are proned to water damage , true ?
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

You do that deep water thing and assume water will work it's way in "waterproof" components.

Plan on seasonal fluid changes for everything and a careful eye on the axles.

Others may have better advice :D
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Check your drivetrain fluids warm and mixed. watch for excessive levels, milky consistency, and other signs of moisture.
Grease everything that you can , as soon as possible afterwards to push the water out of the balljoints.

Consider replacing the U-joints with greaseable units if you spend lots of time in the water. The "sealed" joints will draw moisture and fail sooner rather than later. Driveline vibrations are usually the first noticeable sign.
Pulling the shaft and checking them annually would be a good idea too , I suppose.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

sounds good , so there is nothing that is going to "short out" .?
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Blaze One wrote:...so there is nothing that is going to "short out" .?

Well... I haven't done anything in terms of preventative measures. Just make sure that your rear axle vet tube is routed up between the bed in the crew cabs, and do your best to get it up away from the dirt and water on a Blazer.
Don't situate it where it can get plugged by mud or covered in dirt/dust. It will either draw the contaminants in to the axle, or plug up and blow axle seals.

Most of todays electrical connectors are "weather tight". This is not so much to keep water out as to prevent corrosion from forming. If you are worried use some dielectric grease/silicone on all connections. It is a really good habit to get into for all electrical connections, including ignition wires.

I can't really think of anything below the bumper that would be very susceptible to shorting when subjected to water periodically. Heck I hose the whole engine down before I wash my truck.
I wouldn't worry too much about waterproofing the wiring under there.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

this is the hole in question
i didn't have anyone with me at the time so i didn't try and cross. I've made it before...but just barely! :yikes:
Last edited by bwenny247 on Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

maybe time for a winch
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

That's one reason I've kept my box stock closed. It's already proved me good when I drove through water up to the hood. I'd link the pic, but my 2.4k internet speed right now sucks. I've even disabled showing pics in the browswer. Oh, I guess you can see the pic on my icon to the left. lol
<--------
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

i must say.....that is a water hole!!!!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!