SS Skid Plate Polishing Question

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

SS Skid Plate Polishing Question

Post by Steve2003 »

I have the superlift Skid Plate and it is stainless steel. What I would like to do is shine it up a bit, maybee to match my alluminum wheels. I have a cheapy buffer and tried a metal pollish on it, no difference! Does anyone Know of a product or a way I could shine this up that wouldn't be to spendy?

Steve

Edited title-HJ
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

only thing you can do to stainless steel is electropolish it and if there was someone around there that could do it they would charge you about 200 bucks :( it would be shiny though ;)
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: SS Skid Plate Polishing Question

Post by HenryJ »

Steve2003 wrote:I have the superlift Skid Plate and it is stainless steel. ...Does anyone Know of a product or a way I could shine this up that wouldn't be to spendy?...
Check out Eastwood Company
You are going to need the rouge and a good buffer wheel. It can be done. It will take some work though.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

HJ

I like your Idea! I think that just might work. I just need to find someone that has a buffer wheel I can borrow for a day.

Thanks
Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It may take more than one day. Here is another site with some information : English Custom Polishing

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Bubaloo 1983

I know I told you I would get some pics of the sl skid and the way it mounts, just haven't had a chance. I'm do for a oil change, probabaly do that next weekend and I will take some pics of the skid and post them for you.

Steve
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

HJ wrote:It may take more than one day.
I see your point, although I am not after a mrror finish, just something a little more shiney.

Steve
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

hey steve no worries man when you get em you get em....have you looked into electropolishing? itw ill make your skid look pretty cool
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

bubaloo wrote:have you looked into electropolishing?
No, I haven't yet. What do you think of powdercoat chrome? I've seen some work this guy does out here and it looks pretty nice.

Steve
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

powder coat chrome? umm sounds pretty cool. but powder coating doesnt stick very well to stainless steel ( if this is really a powder coat thats just shiny) so if you chipped it, it would come off pretty quik. stainless is a tough one for finishing. powder coating doesnt work the best, electropololishing is expensive and hand work is near impossible because its so freaking hard! but powder coating for me is pretty cheap and i think for alot of other shops around her too so if its not that expensive why not give it a whirl? it would probably look really cool :D i would like to see it too because i have heard of it but never seen it before.

Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Bubaloo

I was talking to these guys as socal supertrucks about my ori light bar. I had originally ordered it in chrome and they called me back and told me they don't make it in chrome anymore because they were having problems with rust. So I was talking to this guy at supertrucks about my lightbar and he asked me about chrome powdercoat, and he took me back to his inventory shop and showed me some work they had done for him and it looked really nice, but I did not ask him about the stainless steel skid plate. Thanks for the info.
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

HJ wrote:Edited title-HJ
What's up with the SS skid plate?? Never heard of that :lol: Does that mean Supersport skidplate :wink:

Steve

Stainless Steel ;) -HJ
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

OK! I get it now :oops: I was thinking SL super-lift. :?:
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

if its cheap to get done like most powders i would get it steve. just because it will be hard to get it done any cheaper. pls i want to se ewhat it look slike :P