What do you do when the 17 year old brings his truck home...

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

Jim

What do you do when the 17 year old brings his truck home...

Post by Jim »

with half the right rear tire melted all over the wheel well & quarter panel. He picked me up from work today & I asked him when I got in where did you do the burn out? He's like what huh, I said yea you 've got rubber all over the back wheel well. When we got home we inspected the black build up. I asked him if he had removed the 140 LBS of sand before hand he said no. He has a 2.2 98 S-10 At work truck with almost 100,000 miles on it. Not much tread left on the tire, he was sent promptly to Sears to purchase a replacement with his own money. He said he's practicing for Trucks at Carlisle.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:!:

I bet you parents will laugh and say .."payback!" I'm pretty sure that mine would ;)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Does that 2.2L have a 5 speed? 8) Maybe he needs a rev limiter? :lol:

Steve
Jim

Post by Jim »

killian96ss wrote:Does that 2.2L have a 5 speed? 8) Maybe he needs a rev limiter? :lol:

Steve
It's an automatic. He said he thinks it has a rev limiter because he did the burn out in first gear & it seemed like it would rev & slow down & rev again.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Jim wrote:It's an automatic.
:shock: It's even harder to do a burnout with the automatic :thumb:
Jim wrote:He said he thinks it has a rev limiter because he did the burn out in first gear & it seemed like it would rev & slow down & rev again.
That's definitely the stock rev limiter. What is the redline on the 2.2L? I'm assuming he was doing this with the brakes on right? :?

Steve
Jim

Post by Jim »

killian96ss wrote:
Jim wrote:It's an automatic.
:shock: It's even harder to do a burnout with the automatic :thumb:
Jim wrote:He said he thinks it has a rev limiter because he did the burn out in first gear & it seemed like it would rev & slow down & rev again.
That's definitely the stock rev limiter. What is the redline on the 2.2L? I'm assuming he was doing this with the brakes on right? :?

Steve
I really don't want to think about it. I've told him many times how hard it is on componants from the engine to the axel seal. I don't know what the redline is on the 2.2 ...no tach. Yes with the brakes on.
Best Regards, Jim
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

well....maybe.....he needs a rear locker!! :lol: then he can pay for both rear tires!! :lol: :lol:
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

just kidding!!!!!!

i dread the day my 12 year old wants to drive!!!!! i'll be going through the same thing!!!!!!!
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

HenryJ wrote:I bet you parents will laugh and say .."payback!" I'm pretty sure that mine would
Fortunately, I have a while to wait before my son starts driving (he turns 5 in May). However, I have no doubt that when he gets his license he will be "my fathers revenge". My Dad passed away last August, but even so, I can imagine the look of amusement on his face and the "now you know what I had to put up with" speech! :roll:
Jim

Post by Jim »

top_sgt wrote:well....maybe.....he needs a rear locker!! :lol: then he can pay for both rear tires!! :lol: :lol:
I asked him if he was going to clean the rubber off or was cool to keep it on. He said only if it were on both side would it be cool :roll:
Best Regards, Jim
Jim

Post by Jim »

Anybody know if you can get a ticket for smoking the tire on private property? If so I guess it couldn't be a moving violation if the only thing moving is one wheel :roll:
Best Regards, Jim
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

if he's on private property...i don't think he can get a moving violation!
but...............he could be cited for noise!!!! might let him know that!!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

top_sgt wrote:if he's on private property...i don't think he can get a moving violation!
but...............he could be cited for noise!!!! might let him know that!!
By "Private Property" if, you are referring to a parking lot and it is designed to be used by the public you can get cited for any traffic violation in KY. You can be "hammered" on your Murray riding mower in your own yard and "could" get yourself a DUI/DWI as well here :!:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

My neighbor got a ticket for a burn-out on private property. It was a parking lot at the mall though.

He had such a cloud of smoke going that he never saw the patrol car until it pulled up along side him. He though all the people waving were egging him on and on :roll: :lol:

Ever heard of citation for "Failing to be reasonable and prudent" ? That is what a friend got for doing a burn-out leaving the pay-n-pack. When he went to court the judge asked him if he smarted off to the officer. He replied, "No, of course not." The judge threw it out. :D

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Jim wrote:I really don't want to think about it. I've told him many times how hard it is on componants from the engine to the axel seal. I don't know what the redline is on the 2.2 ...no tach.
Point out to him that it is very hard on the rear brakes as well. The torque converter won't be happy for very long either. I don't do burnouts very often anymore, because as I've gotten older I realize just how much a tires life is shortened by a simple smoke session. One good burnout can take off 10-20k miles. :( Luckily my CC isn't all that powerful, so burnouts don't ever really happen. My SS however smokes them too easy, and the tires I'm running right now cost well over $200 per tire. :( My son is only 4 and swears he will be driving a green Nascar when he grows up. :shock: It doesn't help either that his mom works at Infineon Raceway (Sears Point). :roll: BTW here in CA a burnout will get you an exhibition of speed ticket even if you aren't moving. :lol: Unless you are on your own property you will get a ticket, especially here in Napa. :? I'll never forget the time during a local cruise night that a guy brought out his Pro-Stock car and smoked the tires for almost a full block before being surrounded by the NPD. 8) I'm actually surprised they could find him in all the smoke. :lol:

Steve

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:
Jim wrote:I really don't want to think about it. I've told him many times how hard it is on componants from the engine to the axel seal.
... I'll never forget the time during a local cruise night that a guy brought out his Pro-Stock car and smoked the tires for almost a full block ...
There you go. How about channeling these energies?
If the kid likes the smell of tire smoke (and who doesn't) , why not build something for doing that?

I will admit that I am a hotrodder at heart, and I have a couple cars in the garage to satisfy those cravings.

You can build a decent bracket car for $5000 if you can do the work yourself. And working on it is half the fun. Instead of harping on deaf ears , lets get him excited about building a real tire smoker :)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:You can build a decent bracket car for $5000 if you can do the work yourself. And working on it is half the fun. Instead of harping on deaf ears , lets get him excited about building a real tire smoker :)
This is a great way to spend time with a son or daughter if she's interested. The learning process is good and the fun is even better. A bracket racer is a good idea, but a powerful street legal tire smoker might not be a good idea right now. :lol:

Steve
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

My little 2.2 s-10 couldn't do a burn out on dry pavement and it had a 4.10 rear and automatic. Maybe I just didn't try hard enough.

I think the tach on mine redlined at 6000.
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

Now this is a burnout

From Famoso, CA (Bakersfield) last Saturday.. 68 Cougar..
Itbacked that burnout up with a 9.56 run!
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]