Ham Radio Software / programming

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Update: The HTX-202 is here and almost ready to go. I am waiting on a new battery pack.

I broke down and bought a Yaesu VR-7R since it looks like I will need the VHF/UHF for a mobile repeater.

I have lots of APRS, IRLP, Ecolink dreams, but right now I need to figure out operation and programming of these.

What do you program on yours? All the local repeaters?

I have quite a few emergency channels that I would like to set in memory too.

Is there a good software solution, or is taking the time to put them in manually the way to go?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

HenryJ wrote:Update: The HTX-202 is here and almost ready to go. I am waiting on a new battery pack.

I broke down and bought a Yaesu VR-7R since it looks like I will need the VHF/UHF for a mobile repeater.

I have lots of APRS, IRLP, Ecolink dreams, but right now I need to figure out operation and programming of these.

What do you program on yours? All the local repeaters?

I have quite a few emergency channels that I would like to set in memory too.

Is there a good software solution, or is taking the time to put them in manually the way to go?
Figures the battery would go bad.. It was working, but the last 6 or 8 months the pack hadnt been used.. :(
Good choice on the VX-7R :thumb: :thumb: I have had great succes with that radio.
I have heard of other people saying they had problems with it, but I have had no problems, and at least one other person here locally that bought one right after I did has had zero problems. Its been the most reliable handheld I've ever had, second only to the HTX202, which is like a rock, they exchanged fancy features for the high reliability on the 202.

On the progrgamming, the BEST programming software for the VX7 is actually free.. Yaesu sells one for about $45 with a cable, but its pretty limited software.
Jim Mitchell (KC8UNJ) writes a program called "VX7 Commander' that has much better control over the programming, and also does 'extras' that the other software wont do.
You get the software from Jim's homepage
You can get the cable from RTS systems.
Order just the cable kit (they make a software package for the VX7, but its costs more $ and is not as good as the Commander in my opinion. The cable kit is CT-29D.

In mine I have the local repeaters programmed for here at home, and over at the coast where I go the most. Also have recieve freqs in for CB (the Commander software has a lot of freqs that it will preload as an option.. CB, GMRS, FRS, and more).
Then I have all the freqs we use at the base for the F18's 8) , and the local PD, Fire, CDF, CHP, and such in it.
I have the radio memories broken down into 'groups':
1-100 Repeaters
101-102 are the primary simplex freqs for Hanford and Visalia areas we use the most
103-200 are 'non ham public' freqs
103-107 are MURS channels (loaded from Commanders preset freqs)
108-121 are Family Readio Service channels (loaded from Commander)
122-133 are GMRS freqs (from Commander)
134-173 are CB channels 1-40 (from Commander)
201-300 are area PD, fire, public emergency etc
301-400 are civil aviation freqs for our local airport, etc
401-445 are the NAS Lemoore freqs
449-450 are the remote extender presets for my FT8800

It would be a nightmare programming all those by hand :shock:
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:thumb:

I found Jim's Commander software before you posted :D Glad it sounds like the right stuff!

I ordered a USB cable from ttl2usb.com since a portion of the profits support Jim Mitchell's Commander software.

I am pretty sure that I also need the CT-91 cable to connect to the radio, so ordered one of those too.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

HenryJ wrote::thumb:

I found Jim's Commander software before you posted :D Glad it sounds like the right stuff!

I ordered a USB cable from ttl2usb.com since a portion of the profits support Jim Mitchell's Commander software.

I am pretty sure that I also need the CT-91 cable to connect to the radio, so ordered one of those too.
I'm going to probably order the tt2usb setup also.. I've been using a friends cable on mine, but its pretty inconvienet to have to track him down to borrow it :)
I'm either going to try and build my own, or most likely go the USB route so its easier to use in the truck without having to unplug the APRS from the only serial port that laptop in the truck has :)
Although I dont relaly program it very often.. with 450 memories, and 100 set aside for repeaters, I still have about 35 free in my 'repeater group'..
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Commander questions?

Post by HenryJ »

Across the top of the commander window , some I understand, some I don't.

Freq= The desired frequency
Mode= AM, NFM, or WFM
Scn Md= Default is OFF , but what does it do?
Step= Not really sure what this is doing. Maybe the increments it will adjust from this frequency?
Masked= False This must mean hidden or not hidden?
RPT SH= SIMPlex , or Repeater shift + , -
Shift=0.000 Does this need to be changed when using a + or - repeater? How do you know the value?
TS/DCS= Dunno? default is OFF
Tone=100.0 this must be the PL tone?
DCS= what is this? default is 023
TX Pwr= output level L1-MAX
Dev= Not sure what this does? default is NORM
Clk Sh= What is this? Default is OFF
Icon= This must be to insert an icon? Default is 13 Is there a numbered list?

Hope you understand some of this :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Commander questions?

Post by kf6kmx »

HenryJ wrote:Across the top of the commander window , some I understand, some I don't.
I'll see if I can remember off the top of my head.. That program in a windows one, so I run it on my laptop which I dont have in front of me right now (my main computer is in Linux).

Freq= channel recieve freq
Mode= AM, NFM, or WFM
Scn Md= if I rememberright it controls if that channel is skipped when scanning memory channels
Step= frequency step size, how big is the step when you turn the diall in VFO mode
Masked= I dont remember, buts its False on all of mine
RPT SH= simplex + or - repeater
Shift=The shift for the + or - repeater; default for 2m is 0.600(148.880- recieve is 146.280 xmit) 440 is 5.000 (442.950+ rec is 447.950 xmit)
TS/DCS= this is the PL (CTCSS) tone, or DCS tone control for the repeater. Controls send, send/rec PL, or DCS mode
Tone=pl tone for setting above
DCS= DCS setting is above is set to DCS. I use DCS control to my FT8800 extender mode, DCCS is rare, at least around here, so it makes it very unlikely anyone else will have a DCS on to interfere with my input channel to the 8800
TX Pwr= each memory will remember the power level you want for it
Dev= controls the radios deviation, I have it set to norm all the time
Clk Sh= shifts the radios internal clock if you are getting 'birdie' interference from the radio itself on certain freqs.
Icon= you can pick from a list that is on page 73 of the VX7 manual. (I think you can get the manual in PDF for from Yaesu's web site to read before the radio arrives.)

Did any of that help? :D
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Outstanding! :thumb:

That does clear up quite a bit.

Do you know if the same software mods are available for the FT-8800?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

HenryJ wrote:Outstanding! :thumb:

That does clear up quite a bit.

Do you know if the same software mods are available for the FT-8800?
Dont think you can mod the 8800 by software.. you can by hardware (done it to mine :) ). Its pretty easy.. There is a small curface mount resister you take out to do it.
I did it with a jewelers screwdriver and a low-setting on my soldering station.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Cable arrived from Seattle today. ttl2usb.com does a nice job :thumb:

Using Jim's Commander software I programmed the VX-7R easily! This thing rocks!

- ThunderII KE7CSK
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

HenryJ wrote:Cable arrived from Seattle today. ttl2usb.com does a nice job :thumb:

Using Jim's Commander software I programmed the VX-7R easily! This thing rocks!
I was going to ask how that cable worked.. I'll probably order one this month.
So, you like the VX7?? 8)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

kf6kmx wrote:...So, you like the VX7??
Oh yeah!
Now that I can TX FRS I won't need to pack two radios while hiking. Until my better half decides to study for the license :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK