Small diesel pickup

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

ChadneyG5
Regular
Regular

Small diesel pickup

Post by ChadneyG5 »

I'm still mourning GM's decision to replace the Sonoma/S-10 with girly pickups with 1 LESS cylinder and 1000 lbs. LESS towing capability. I like the size of the new "mid-sized" pickups (Colorado/Canyon), and the increase in gas mileage is great, but I need to tow. Is there any chance that the popularity of diesel engines in full sized pickups in the US (not to mention the popularity of small diesel pickups internationally) might persuade manufacturers to offer them? Gas mileage would be awesome, longevity increased, and torque could be abundant. I'm not a prophet, but in the 80's I wrote GM asking them to make a 4-door version of the S-10. GM was the last to offer a 4-door small pickup, and never offered a V8 (as did Dodge). I've got a '02 Sonoma CC and I love it. I just wish they wouldn't have whimpified its successor. I remember that Toyota produced a 1-ton (that's right) diesel compact pickup two decades ago. And I saw Chevy and Ford small trucks in Brazil with diesel engines recently. In fact, I ran across this Isuzu version of the Colorado offered in England and it has a diesel ( http://www.isuzu.co.uk/index.htm ). What's the deal? It seems GM already has what it needs to produce this niche vehicle and perhaps get on the front end of a fad. I know I would buy one!
Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Brad »

Swap in a GM6.2 deisel. It is about the size of a big block. The lack of turbo is simple and standard chevy belhousing pattern will mate with your 4l60E. I have been thinking about it for a later project. Then add a sidewinder turbo from Banks. Any comments or additions.

Brad
Freinds don't let freinds crank torsion bars.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

ya, they are getting to it. gm will prolly be last though :lol:

the liberty next year will have a 4banger deisel. basically it will be the first to step out there in the suv world with a decent light weight motor. i have seen the rest of the jeeps coming out and they all are going to have deisels. the auto industry only gives what the main public wants, as deisel becomes more popular finally, they will make more of them. but gm will take its time. i heard that toyota isnt researching deisel right now cuz they have so much money wrapped up in hybrids. they have a 1ton protoype hybrid truck that supposedly has alot of power. personally i think its all BS
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Small diesel pickup

Post by Conman »

ChadneyG5 wrote:I'm still mourning GM's decision to replace the Sonoma/S-10 with girly pickups with 1 LESS cylinder and 1000 lbs. LESS towing capability. I like the size of the new "mid-sized" pickups (Colorado/Canyon), and the increase in gas mileage is great, but I need to tow. Is there any chance that the popularity of diesel engines in full sized pickups in the US (not to mention the popularity of small diesel pickups internationally) might persuade manufacturers to offer them? Gas mileage would be awesome, longevity increased, and torque could be abundant. I'm not a prophet, but in the 80's I wrote GM asking them to make a 4-door version of the S-10. GM was the last to offer a 4-door small pickup, and never offered a V8 (as did Dodge). I've got a '02 Sonoma CC and I love it. I just wish they wouldn't have whimpified its successor. I remember that Toyota produced a 1-ton (that's right) diesel compact pickup two decades ago. And I saw Chevy and Ford small trucks in Brazil with diesel engines recently. In fact, I ran across this Isuzu version of the Colorado offered in England and it has a diesel ( http://www.isuzu.co.uk/index.htm ). What's the deal? It seems GM already has what it needs to produce this niche vehicle and perhaps get on the front end of a fad. I know I would buy one!
Like those Isuzu trucks as well, esp. since it has the TD engine. Rumor is that when the new low-sulfur Diesel fuel comes in 07, many more TDs engines will come to the States. Those TD engines they use overseas need that type of fuel to run.

Now if you need a TD now and don't want a fullsize pickup, look at that VW Toureg with the TDI V10!!!!!!! Talk about a sweet engine!!

Cheers,
Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

look..0-62mph in 22 seconds...haha..That would not sell in the US
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
ChadneyG5
Regular
Regular

Post by ChadneyG5 »

Yall should read the article that just came out in Truck Trend magazine. It seems that Jeep and VW are on to something. They predict that virtually every manufacturer will offer smaller diesel engines for suvs and trucks. I'm feeling like a prophet again!javascript:emoticon(':lol:') Even GM has a plan to put them in every truck (I assume this includes the Canyon/Colorado)! I owe the General an apology. I can't wait...I hope it is true!
Maximous
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Maximous »

just to give you guys a heads up, the isuzu colorado thing, yeah that is about a piece of crap, thats what im driving here in kuwait, and i Kantwait to get out of it, they are so cheaply built, the shocks are produced by flintstones inc. thats right there are four solid rocks where the shocks should be, point black period end of statement, they suck
[size=75]Driver carries no money, he's a Government employee[/size]