Simple toolbox mod

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Simple toolbox mod

Post by mjmcdowell »

Hello all, I have found that with our trucks we need all the usable space to carry gear/supplys when we go on any extended trip say of 5-6 days. To this end I was out in the garage and was looking at the truck and thought that the top of my toolbox could be usable space to carry gear. A quick measurement or two, off to the hdw. store and vola !, a short time later I had 2 tie down rails on each top lid. I made them out of 1/2" flat stock aluminum each w/3 tie down holes per rail and used 1" alum. spacers for stand-offs on the ends of the rails with proper size bolt's etc.to raise them 1" above the top of the box, you don.t want the so high as to prevent the top's from opening all the way. If anyone does this mod. the Id. of the spacers, bolt dia., nut's ,washers etc. can be of the size you prefer. Each rail of mine is 22" long, w/about 11 1/2" between them width wise. This will enable me to carry the awning poles and rolled up awning along W/2 sleeping pads and probably the tent in a space not used before. Free's up the roof rack for larger duffle bags and water containers. Mabey this mod is something some of you can use. Your specs/materials could differ of course but this is an idea. Oh! the toolbox itself is a Delta composit gull wing opening top's very strong, and not shiney!!! ha!, stay safe, mjmcdowell
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

I feel your pain, i just got this for some extra cargo room:

Another thing that helped clean up my cargo area (shameless plug coming up) were these:

Quickfists at Synergy Offroad
[size=75][url=http://www.synergyoffroad.com]Synergy Offroad[/url][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Jigg wrote:I feel your pain, i just got this for some extra cargo room:

Another thing that helped clean up my cargo area (shameless plug coming up) were these:

Quickfists at Synergy Offroad
I used 3 or the 6 I purchased from you on Jeremy's shovel mod. I like 'em :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]