Roof Racks

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Roof Racks

Post by barch97 »

Justin's dual-exhaust thread was getting a bit off track. I figured this could send it even further off...

warnoffroad wrote:
barch97 wrote:
Justin wrote:barch97...I like the idea but my truck has the roll bar with lights...kinda defeats the purpose....
Well, you could move the lights to the front of the roof rack. Making them even more effective.

Where did you find that pic of that light on that rack? Im looking for a roof racm that will fit on my truck, and I want to put 4 lights up there.
That particular pic was from overlander.com but, I've seen several of these basket style roofracks with light mounts and othe assorted accessories. Will post more links/photos as I find them.
Last edited by barch97 on Thu Feb 27, 2003 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Think this is same manufacturer and different retailer. But, really diggin' the Optional SR-AX100 AX & Shovel Mount

barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Wilderness Safari Roof Racks

This one's got all the gadgets :)

ImageRoof rack light brackets are also a very cool feature we like. Sold in pairs and designed to bolt or clamp into existing holes in the rack, they are powdercoated with grade 5 zinc hardware. Designed to fit any light with a bottom stud mount. Bolt-on, $22 (pair). Clamp-on, $17 each
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

i think that would look the coolest. i wanted to do it for so long now but it will just cut down on my fuel mileage and one of the parking garages i go into isnt high enough for one :cry:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

If I were to get something like that, what would the purpose of my roll bar be for? Rear facing lights to piss people off on the highway :twisted:
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Justin wrote:If I were to get something like that, what would the purpose of my roll bar be for? Rear facing lights to piss people off on the highway :twisted:
hmm... roll bar? purpose? I wonder... :roll:

seriously though... I love the look but, haven't seen one on a crewcab... anybody gets one, I demand that they post some pics to help me decide if I should get one.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Here is one on ebay: Surco rack for sale

It is 45x60. And here is a 40x50 with a $135 buy it now price: Surco aluminum rack

Has anyone determined what size would be the best?

Personally, I use a cargo box on mine since the Desert is pretty dry the last few years ;)

I have this thing about sleeping in a dusty sleeping bag :lol:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

what did you type in the search box?
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

HenryJ wrote:Here is one on ebay: Surco rack for sale

It is 45x60. And here is a 40x50 with a $135 buy it now price: Surco aluminum rack

Has anyone determined what size would be the best?

Personally, I use a cargo box on mine since the Desert is pretty dry the last few years ;)

I have this thing about sleeping in a dusty sleeping bag :lol:

45x50 would be perfect the 40 would be about 3 inches to short and that extra inch on each side would cover up the adapter ( I emailed the guy and thats what he told me).
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

Which adapter would be the best if you already have a roof rack? The $33 or the $88? Thanks
Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Brad »

Scored a rack off of a 85 2 door blazer for 11 bucks. Will install soon.

Brad
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

warnoffroad wrote:Which adapter would be the best if you already have a roof rack? The $33 or the $88? Thanks
I'd choose the $88

It just looks like a sturdier mount to me. It looks much like the Thule mounting system.

Personally if I was going to get one I'd get the rack first and see if something as simple as u-bolts could used to secure it.

Just thought of one more mounting option. Check Sears automotive center for the cargo box mounting systems. They have some odd shaped mounting adapters.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

i know im digging up an old post but had anbody though of securing one to like a fiberglass bed cover i mean then you could run aux lights for backing right on it and not worry about smashing them when your on a really steep hill i dunno just something i was kicking around in my head let me know what you thing
thanks
brian
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

weird that you mention this, cause I spotted Hobie's (a2b) Crew this morning - it's new owner has added a fiberglass bedcover, and has some sort of factory-looking roofrack crossbars mounted to it - you could easily mount a utility basket to it now, my only question is how much weight can the cover take before the fiberglass or gelcoat starts cracking.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

well i can say that i had a buddy with a dakota and he had a hard cover on it and i stood on it once to wax the top and rain-x the back window and i was about 210 then but its something worth looking into i dont know when ill be back from iraq but sometime in november when more progresses or when someone gets tired of waiting for me please let us know i think it would work out well i mean how much weight do you guys carry on top of the truck on average???
Maximous
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Maximous »

i thought i was alone here, i am wanting to put a basket on the roof and a factory rack on the tonnou(bedcover)
[size=75]Driver carries no money, he's a Government employee[/size]
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

if anybody does it i would love to see pics i have a small sound system in the bed under the cover and i open it when i go fishing and camping so the extra space would be great and i think it would look sharp
Maximous
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Maximous »

i am at a loss though, what it the thule, and the nagasaki or whatever it is, is that the rack, or is that like a mount kit, little help,once again i fall behind
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

yeah i have looked at that rack with all the addons and it looks good but im curious as to how the attatch even to the roof i mean i dont know how excited i would be to drill through my cab... tonneau no biggy i can just squeegie it out hehe anyone have a little blupr on how the go on...?
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

It looks like most of them have two options for roof mounting. 1-clamp onto existing roof rack or 2-clips that fit in the channel between the top of the door and the roof.

This one looks like the door channel clips are little more permanent: page 72 page 74
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

well where there is a will (and a drill) there is a way :lol: just gonna take some planning i have a post about running power to the lights in the electrical posts just to get everything ready....im getting really excited to go home now
thanks guys
brian
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Thule and Yakima make roof racks and roof rack accessories.

Just a tip -- start using Google when you see a manufacturer you don't recognize.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

i was thinking about this last night and i was looking at gaylords lids and it struck me what about opening the cover i mean would it be too heavy to have it stay open while you are fishing around for your stuff...dunno if its gonna be a great idea or not guys
Maximous
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Maximous »

thats why i had decided to put a factory rack on the cover and the basket on the roof, the factory rack would be plenty light enough for the top to push open, i orginally wanted the basket on the cover because it would be so much easier to get to, but not only being way too heavy, it serves more of a purpose on the roof, forward lights, backward lights, whatever accessories, i was thinking last night about mounting side lights, like some 3x5 lights, one on each side, kinda like "alley lights" for any "cops" or "rescue" on here, maybe that would be a little exseccive but i like exploring at night, and if its rains and night, it gets hard to see, so you need light,
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

sounds like a plan thanks for the update max i think im gonna shoot gaylord an email and see about the capabilities i still want to look into it shoot me some pics youll prolly have yours b4 i can even get back to alaska to look at mine thanks man
brian
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

OK, since there are no solid bolt on bull bars or safari bars readily available for our rigs I am looking for a modestly priced roof rack like the Surco for a light platform and spare tire carrier. :)

I know that a lot of you have welders laying around in your garage and can just about fabricate anything you want but, I am not that talented nor even have a garage to do such modifications. :lol:

From my few "searches" looks like Summit has the best price. I have a OEM roof rack to attach the Surco to but, am just curious which members have actually installed the Surcos and what you think about them.

If you have one and have the lights mounted, how did you wire them and what would you do differently if you had it to do over?

Am under the gun to pick out my Xmas present (again) from my wife (again) and just once, don't want to be rushed or disappointed.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Maximous
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Maximous »

from my wife (again)
:lol: :lol:

this is what i am looking to buy right now also, summit is very well priced, Im not to "up" on my roof baskets though so not real sure on how good the less expensive ones are? some one with expierance wanna help us newbies out