? on my rear end

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

? on my rear end

Post by 04crewvt »

Ok my truck just turned over 14k and I am starting to look at what servicing will be needed in the near future. I know I will want to replace the fluid in the rear diff and while I am doing that I need some info. When the original owner of this truck ordered it he got all the options except for the g80 locker. In the blazer I had before this I had the rear diff/carrier/axes rebuilt due to water damage and for $150.00 more than standard I had the eaton locker put in (same as GM I believe). My question is what should I go for if I have the chance to put anything I want in the rear, keeping the same gears 3.73s/factory axel setup? My basic driving conditions on this truck are as follows: primary DD 75% highway 20% washboard dirt road/broken asphalt 5% two track/farm field,
6 months or so of real winter weather. I would like to hear what you think.

Edited-HJ
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Personally I like the Eaton gov-loc. The serious rock crawlers don't like them, but mine works for what I do.
I'd have someone install one. If you pick up a used one be sure to use your ring gear, even if it is 3.73. The sets are matched.

You could install a different limited slip, or locking carrier, but the eaton should be much cheaper.
Last edited by HenryJ on Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

And remember concerning the gears, if you want to change the gear ratio in the rear end, you'll need to do the same in the front, which is a bit more of a headache :lol:
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

yea I did that with my old 84 GMC Jimmy may it rest in pieces. Had the 2.8l with lots of mods and had the 4.11 front and rear diff gears from a 86 transplanted into it. Not very fast but man could it climb.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Hey ,How bout some answers that I was looking for in the heading. The skid plate stuff is needed but I really would like some opinions on what posi/locker people use and or recommend.
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

I Have The Factory G80 In Mine W/ 3.73 Gears No Problems With It Yet
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

04crewvt wrote:Hey ,How bout some answers that I was looking for in the heading. The skid plate stuff is needed but I really would like some opinions on what posi/locker people use and or recommend.
Understood. We will try to keep this thread "on topic" for the title.
I split the topic to help :mg:

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

My Eaton and I get along just fine. It can be a bit unnerving when you feel and hear it kick in if one tire is spinning....

It definitely helps traction in both 2wd and 4wd.

My only real complaint (since I can live with the thump and clunk), is that if I make a sharp turn from a dead stop, the locker engages and the tires chirp a bit. But it goes away once you straighten out a bit.

All in all, works great. I don't see a need to get soemthing else considering what I do with my truck. :D
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

looks like the eaton g80 or the powertrax unit are my best choices. I don't worry about noise. the anti-noise rotary control work fine for that.
I have run the old chevy posi-traction unit on my full size and the eaton on My 95 blazer so the weird feeling /understeer in corners and in snow is familiar.
will keep looking at advice until the fluid needs changing then will go with amsoil synthetic and summit cover with whichever I decide on. G80 safe bet ,Powertrax ?

And thanks for splitting topic
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:hand WAY up: I vote NO on the Lockright Powertrax.
They are harsh and really pound things in street use. Mine tore the clutch springs out of my old truck. I would not do that again.
It was awesome offroad, but just not very street friendly.

Detroit would be the choice for a locker. Any limited slip diff should serve your purpose. Look to what is the most cost effective, but add a real carrier, not the add-in powertrax.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

How about something like this?
detroit locker[/url]
looks like it could be the best of both worlds ls all the time, locker when you really get into it.
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

henryj...what about the powertrax traction system??? i know the lock right is good for off roading,,,,but not so for a daily driver! i'm thinking of doing a locker for my truck next spring!! i'm open to suggestions!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Personally I would go with a Detroit Truetrac. It is a helical gear posi that automatically splits torque to both wheels, and doesn't engage harshly like the factory G80. The G80 is harsh on drive train components because of the way it engages suddenly. The Truetrac is always engaged which eliminates any harsh locking. My factory G80 has worked pretty good for me, but it also has shown me its downsides in different situations. :x

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

top_sgt wrote:...what about the powertrax traction system?
Gotta link? If it is anything like the drop in powertrax that I had, I would opt for another choice.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HJ, I think this is what top_sgt is referring to. Richmond Powertrax It is very similar to the Richmond Lock-Right and Detroit EZ-Locker, except it is smooth & quiet. :)

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Looks like a nice try, but it is basically the same. I vote no.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

yes....the powertrax traction is a "drop in" setup!!!
thanks for the advise....i'm going to look at the detroit truetrac!!!
then go from there!!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:Looks like a nice try, but it is basically the same.
Detroit EZ Locker (same as Powertrax Lock Right)
Richmond Powertrax

They are the same regarding how they install into the carrier, but their design is obviously different. My friend is running a Richmond Powertrax in his 94 Blazer (full size) and it seems to work well and you can't even hear it engaging or ratcheting. He definitely has better traction than me. In fact he has better traction in 2wd than I have in 4wd. :x I know the regular lockers are harsh, and i'm assuming this is what HJ is referring to, but I could be wrong. HJ, do you remember which locker you had in that old truck? Was it a Powertrax Lock Right? I have been contemplating a new rear end set-up and have been looking at the Truetrac and the Powertrax. Both seem good, but they behave differently. I am leaning more towards the Truetrac, because I fear the Powertrax will accelerate tire wear due to its design. :?

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I had the Lockright (powertrax) they are one in the same. I think they just kept changing the name, or the company was purchased.

The one I had , I believe is still being used by the person I sold it to.

Image Image

For offroad they are outstanding. It is the daily driven street duty that takes the toll.

Both the richmond Powertrax and the lockright Powertrax are the same style and function. I would use neither. Even a detroit locker is less harsh, and many times more predictable on the street.

The only difference that I see is maybe less surface area on the new versions teeth? , and spring loaded c-clip retainers.

You can learn how to drive them to minimize the damage they do to the rest of the drivetrain, and the instructions state how. You need to either power through a corner, or coast. If the teeth have not locked back in place when you straighten out be prepared for a jolt sideways like someone hit your axle in the side with a huge sledge hammer.

I don't remember now how long I ran it? Maybe 30,000 mi. ? It was awesome offroad! Locked most of the time, and much less harsh on loose material.

There was wear on the "super secret formula high-zoot material" and I had some of the tiny springs break. I can not imagine having more springs in the "new" version would be any kind of advantage whatsoever :roll:

If yours is a daily driver I'd avoid them. While the price and ease of installation makes them tempting, save your money and do it right the first time! Get a real limited slip carrier, or locking differential. They are not that much more and will be better on the vehicle in the long run.
Obviously those with a G80 will not be putting these in since the carrier needs to be an open carrier for these and I really don't think the G80 is all that bad for a desert running daily driver.

If you are thinking about the expense. Get a used G80 and have it installed. That should run half the cost of the Powertrax. If you want the best money can buy get a detroit locker for those who spend lots of time offroad. If most of the time is street duty think hard about the G80 or another limited slip carrier.

If money is no object what about a selectable locker? ARB or maybe one of the new electronic units?

If you really want to run one of the drop in Powertrax units don't let me stop you. They do work, and I did like mine. Long term they do take a toll though. If you are prepared for that, forewarned is forearmed :mg:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HJ, Thanks for the info and advise. :D I don't want anything harsh or unpredictable, that's why I have been looking at the Truetrac. I have one on my SS, but for a completely different reason. I like the fact that you can't feel anything engaging with the Truetrac. I have heard they are really good off road, but I have never experienced this for myself. The Truetrac is basically the same as the Torsen T2 which was factory option on some performance GM's like the Camaro SS, WS6 Firebird, and AWD applications. The best design so far for a street driven vehicle seem to be the electric locker with full time posi, however nobody makes one for our wimpy 7.65" rear end, only the 8.5". :( If they made one for our trucks, you can bet that's the locker I would get. :wink:

Steve