4.3 with a Turbo

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

4.3 with a Turbo

Post by jeff024 »

Need some info as to if this can even be done and if so where to start.

My buddies going to Twin Turbos on his cummins and is willing to just give me the 1 on there now I just need to know if its possible to pipe this up to my truck?

What other GM V6s are turbo?

Seems like the Major part needed here is the Manifold.
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: 4.3 with a Turbo

Post by F9K9 »

jeff024 wrote:Need some info as to if this can even be done and if so where to start.

My buddies going to Twin Turbos on his cummins and is willing to just give me the 1 on there now I just need to know if its possible to pipe this up to my truck?

What other GM V6s are turbo?

Seems like the Major part needed here is the Manifold.
Do I hear ghosts or Syclone, Typhoon and Grand Nationals?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

yeah I figured those 3 im wondering how close there manifold is to my 2004 4.3. This turbo would really put some life into my truck :)
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Since the Syclones and Typhoons were 4.3 also, the manifold would probably not be a problem...but you'd probably need to strengthen your pistons, rods, and crank to handle the extra HP under boost. The 4.3's in the Sy/Ty might have even had an upgraded main bearing cap. I think there's a Sy/Ty message board out there somewhere. I'd check that out and compile as much info as you can.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

I rode in a 99 ZQ8 turbo s-10 from these guys a few years ago.

http://machperformance.com

I don't know much about the co. Their web site looks a little out of date but they say they have a turbo and supercharger kit for ALL S-10's 97 - 03.

I must say, 310 hp makes a s-10 a very fun ride. His license plate was

5 L EATR.

I think if he could ever actually get hooked up it might be true.
[size=75]"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Bash.org[/size]
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

The 4.3 can be turboed ( spelling?) but you would need to limit the boost if you stay with stock internals . Follow the above advice and check the Cyclon/typhoon forums . Most will have a classified section , you could probably find a used turbo there , since alot of people upgrade turbos for bigger ones .
I am not sure about the cummins turbo , you may need to custom fab stuff ( almost sure you will ) to make it work . and in the end it may be better to sell that dodge turbo and use the cash to buy a new or used s10 setup .
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]
snocat1
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by snocat1 »

Try and find a cy/ty engine to put in your truck that might work.The dodge turbo might to big to use for are engine ?
[size=75]2001 crew cab with a quick hatch tonneau cover
235/75/15 bridgestone dueler at revos[/size]
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

Blaze One wrote:The 4.3 can be turboed ( spelling?) but you would need to limit the boost if you stay with stock internals . Follow the above advice and check the Cyclon/typhoon forums . Most will have a classified section , you could probably find a used turbo there , since alot of people upgrade turbos for bigger ones .
I am not sure about the cummins turbo , you may need to custom fab stuff ( almost sure you will ) to make it work . and in the end it may be better to sell that dodge turbo and use the cash to buy a new or used s10 setup .
It can be done to the 4.3,, but the Dodge turbo isnt a good choice $ wise... Its bore and compression/specs are for a diesel.. lower RPM, more exhasut flow,etc etc.. I think by the time it was converted to 4.3 specs it would be close to a 4.3 specific kit.

Hot rodders used to get the blowers off diesel engines and change them for gas use (they are simialr to a 6-71 blower), but even that a lot of times ended up costing as much as a real 6-71 blower..
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

good info it was the cost I was most worried about
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Back in 2000 - Car and Driver had thier annual no-holds-barred Supercar shootout. Lingenfelter brought their usual kick-arse Vette - but they also unloaded a different vehicle. A vehicle that some of the other competitors thought was some sort of support vehicle, or maybe just something to run buy beer in - I believe that one of the other teams actually asked - "Wait - you're actually entering that?" - the Response - "Yep"

here are the specs on it.....

Specifications:

Vehicle type front-engine, 4-wheel-drive, 2-passenger, 2-door truck

Price as Tested $137,027 (base price*: $132,336)

Engine type twin-turbocharged and intercooled pushrod 16-valve V-8, aluminum block and heads, GM/LPE engine-control system with port fuel injection

Modifications (all parts made by Lingenfelter Performance Engineering except as noted)

Engine and transmission
blueprinted GM Motorsports aluminum block, computer-balanced forged crank and pistons with billet connecting rods, custom camshaft, ported C5R aluminum heads, custom valvetrain, twin Garrett turbochargers, twin air-to-air intercoolers, Walbro fuel pump and Bosch injectors, custom exhaust with high-efficiency Emitec/Engelhard catalysts, pickup-bed-mounted radiator with Spal fans, heavy-duty transmission with Yank torque converter, GMC Sierra Denali full-time 4-wheel-drive transfer case, $100,000

Suspension
Penske double-adjustable external-reservoir shocks, Baer Racing front spindles, custom torsion bars and rear leaf springs, Hotchkis Performance anti-roll bars, $5000

Brakes
$5000

Wheels and Tires
custom cast aluminum wheels, 10.5 x 18-in front, 9.5 x 17-in rear; BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KD tires, 295/35ZR-18 99Y front, 275/40ZR-17 98Y rear, $2900

Body and Interior
carbon-fiber tonneau cover and low-profile driver-side mirror, $2350

Displacement 427 cu in, 6993cc

Power (mfr's claim) 700 bhp @ 5000 rpm

Torque (mfr's claim) 650 lb-ft @ 4700 rpm

Transmission Rossler-modified GM Hydramatic 4L60-E 4-speed automatic

Front brakes Brembo 14.0 x 1.3-in vented and cross-drilled discs; Brembo 4-piston calipers

Rear brakes Baer Racing 11.6 x 0.8-in vented, grooved, and cross-drilled discs; stock 1-piston calipers

Anyone want one :-) I'm trying to find a link to the magazine article.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

mmmmmm......Lingenfelter
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]