anybody have a ladder rack on theirs?

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

anchor signs

anybody have a ladder rack on theirs?

Post by anchor signs »

great site guys!

i dont have a crew cab YET (driving a 95 k1500) but i'm considering an s-10 crew for my sign business and daily driving. my question is, does anybody have a ladder rack on their cc ? i'm talking about a bed mounted ladder rack, not a roof rack.

also, i tow a 4500# boat about once a month, i know the trailer ratings, but just because the weight is ok doesn't mean it does a good job. the hp and torque ratings are pretty close to the 305 in my truck, and it does fine.

thanks guys,
eric
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:wave: Welcome

I don't know of anyone running a rack, but here is a photo from the gallery-

A rack like that would be pretty easy to build.

As for towing 4500#. Brakes would be a must, since the truck only weighs 4400#. Make sure to get the 3.73 gears or you will be sadly disappointed.

For towing daily it would be better suited to a fullsize. But ocasionally would not be too bad.
Last edited by HenryJ on Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
anchor signs

Post by anchor signs »

thanks for the reply henry. the trailer has hydraulic (surge) brakes, so stopping is not a problem.

that rack may do the job for me, as long as i know i can carry 4x8 material (plywood, lexan, etc) occasionally. i COULD buy another fullsize, but the crew would be great for my 2 year old daughter, and they just look so damn cool!

eric
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

anchor signs wrote:... the crew would be great for my 2 year old daughter, and they just look so damn cool!
Plan on about $3000 for the "cool". It takes a few mods to get them to a satisfactory performance and appearance.
I have had quite a few smaller trucks and I like this one the best.

There have been quite a few here who tow and sold the crews for fullsize trucks, or Avalanche's.

You really need to like a little truck to be happy with these. For a small truck it has pretty good room.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

There's a guy I see around town once in a while that does have an aluminum ladder rack mounted to the bed rails of his crew cab. I never paid too much attention to what brand or model it is. I'll try to get a pic next time I see him.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Did anyone ever install a Ladder / Contractors rack?

Something like this would come in handy for hauling wood. Add some bars , or expanded metal to the sides and you could easily stack cab height.
A member getting ready for hauling a tree soon is what made me think of this.

I know of one rig that uses this style rack for an observation / sleeping platform.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

I have a light bar/roll bar that I built for the front of the bed. I use one of the bed extenders in the up posistion for hauling my kyacks, skis and row boat.

Linked image. 100k forum limit-HJ
[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Looks handy. How did you attach the front bar?

You look younger than I thought you were. Who is your friend standing on the back of the truck :lol:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

I welded a piece of angle iron to the bottom of the 1" square tubes. I then bolted the angle iron to the bottom of the bed. I also bolted through the front of the box. It actually gave the front of the box less flex. I had already bent it foward with my dirt bike tire. Now it doesn't flex toward the cab when the bike is tide in. It's sturdy. If you push or pull on the light bar, the beds rocks back and forth. It's NOT a roll bar by any means.
[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]