This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Air Filter Restriction Indicator/Gauge

Post by HenryJ »

Anyone install one?

Some of the fullsize have them stock. They can be picked up at the salvage yard with the grommet for under $5.

I thought it would be a good idea to know when there is some restriction in the aircleaner.
With the FIPK, some dirt actually helps to filter the air by trapping more dirt , if that makes any sense?
But in this dusty , dirty , high desert environment how do you know when it is getting too dirty?

I had to go to the salvage yard today to pick up a replacement indicator for one of the fleet rigs, and thought it would be a good idea to have one on mine too.
So here's what I did-

I drilled the 11/16 inch hole for the grommet and installed the indicator.

"Easy as pie" and another low buck mod that would work equally as well installed in the stock or modded air box.

One more thing. I still have the IAT relocation wiring that I made for the stock box. Since this grommet is also the correct size for the IAT sensor, when I get Autotap , I will be able to swap the IAT and the Restriction indicator to see if there are any gains.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

cool! I've seen them on some aftermarket intake systems(airraid I think) but not on the s10 airraid system. What vehicle did you get that off of? Or do you know where to buy a new one? Def. very interesting.

Thanks,
Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Conman wrote:...What vehicle did you get that off of? ...
'96-2000 Chevrolet Full size pick-up w/Vortec V-8 (I'm sure there are other years/models, that is just what I had to choose from) .
It is mounted right on the airbox, before the MAF sensor.
The older ones were a little different style, but fit and perform the same.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

Awesoem tip, never evne thought of doing this, will definitely have to look for one the next time I'm at the pick your part.
[size=75]1 of 6 Wheatland Yellow Sonoma's in Canada

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290324509]Truck Pics[/url][/size]
ExMoparMan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ExMoparMan »

The only thing to be careful about with this style restriction gauge is they have a tendency to stick, so you need to push the reset button every now and then to reset it to see what the readings are. almost every piece of heavy equipment has these style of gauge and I have seen several come in for service indicating the filter was okay but after a reset they went to a red indication, but most of those were working in high dust conditions for a period of time. Just a minor point I think on these applications and an excellant idea :D again a low buck mod from the low buck mod guru :lol:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

ExMoparMan wrote:The only thing to be careful about with this style restriction gauge is they have a tendency to stick...
Agreed.
Probably would be a good idea to clean it out, or replace, if it does get "sticky".

I found one that was cracked (damaged) and allowing dirt to pass :shock:

- ThunderII KE7CSK