Gear Upgrades?

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Gear Upgrades?

Post by killian96ss »

I want to replace my stock 3.73 gears with 4.10's. My question is do I need to change gears in the front as well for the 4 wheel drive to work. I know on solid axle trucks you do have to match the front gears with the rear ones to work correctly, but I've never dealt with IFS systems. I'm sure someone has done this mod, so if you have, can you please help even if my question is a dumb one? Thanks, Steve
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Yes...you should change both at the same time.

Hobie changed his to 4.10's and said it was a PITA.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

ya the only difference between solid axel and IFS is the process at which the wheel travels up and down...the drvie train doesnt change.
GM did not make our s-10 with gear changes in mind. changing the gears is not recommended and if you do it, you better find a reputable shop who has done IFS gear swaps before. they are a PITA and will not like you for bringing the vehicle in. it will cost around 1k for parts and labor. i wouldnt do it unless you go to 33s or higher.
yes 4.10's rock with 31's but i dont know if its worth it when you already have 3.73's
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Really sucks for us guys with 3.42's and no posi trying to run 31's
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

adrenalnjunky wrote:Really sucks for us guys with 3.42's and no posi trying to run 31's
yep, that was me
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Gear Upgrades?

Post by quickbiker »

killian96ss wrote:I want to replace my stock 3.73 gears with 4.10's. My question is do I need to change gears in the front as well for the 4 wheel drive to work. I know on solid axle trucks you do have to match the front gears with the rear ones to work correctly, but I've never dealt with IFS systems. I'm sure someone has done this mod, so if you have, can you please help even if my question is a dumb one? Thanks, Steve
You may be happy just to get the HPPIII and change the shift points. I was wanting to change from 3.73 to 4.10's but the HPPIII fixed all the issues I had with 31's on 3.73. It made me very :D
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Did you notice a big difference after installing the PPIII and changing the shift points? I installed a PPIII on my 96 Impala SS and could feel the difference in power, but playing with the shift points didn't seem to change anything much. I'm also wondering which part of changing the gears is a PITA. I'm guessing that the front gears are the problem, because I've swapped many rear end gears in other cars and trucks with no problems.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

The front is the PITA. You have to drop the entire front end to get at the gears.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

AZS10Crew wrote:The front is the PITA. You have to drop the entire front end to get at the gears.
the entire front end.

its not like the full size where you can tilt the diff and get it out. you have to take everything out....
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

killian96ss wrote:Did you notice a big difference after installing the PPIII and changing the shift points? I installed a PPIII on my 96 Impala SS and could feel the difference in power, but playing with the shift points didn't seem to change anything much. I'm also wondering which part of changing the gears is a PITA. I'm guessing that the front gears are the problem, because I've swapped many rear end gears in other cars and trucks with no problems.

If you off-road alot, the gears would be nicer of course for a lower range. My big beef when I went to 31's was that I was down shifting more than I like out of OD at highway speeds. So I corrected the 1-2, 2-3 shifts to shift more accurately, and for the 3-4 shift, I'm at like -14 or something, so I am holding OD just like before. And it doesn't need to be accurate for 3-4 cause I'll never do a WOT 3-4 shift.

As for gears, if you got the confidence to do it, tools, time, and maybe a second ride to chase parts when you find out someone sold you the wrong part, go for it. I just did my rear locker, and I've never done anything with a differential before, and it was no big deal, just took my time. But then I got lotsa tools and already had everything to do the job. Most of what I had was the same stuff I used for working on Harley trannies, etc.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]