B&M shift kit

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

B&M shift kit

Post by Warnoffroad »

I just put on my B&M shift kit. Im seeing a little faster shifts on mode 1, and it does seem faster. But on mode 2 scared the $hit out of me at first. Does anyone have that problem with this kit? Im sure its normal, but will it hurt my truck?
[size=75]02 ZR5 CC, SFA D44 front, D60 rear, 40" IROKs, np200 2nd t-case. SOLD
05 F-350 CC FX4 Diesel, 7" lift 37" toyos, 14.18 1/4 mile ET[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

You're talking about the Shift + right? The little switch box thing that splices into the computer wiring harness? I've always heard they're not good for the tranny. That's just word-of-mouth though...no first hand knowledge.

I would recommend an internal shift kit for long term use. I had the Trans-Go kit on my Z-28 and it totally rocked.

Internally shift kits are usually better for durability because they replace some internal springs and re-route fluid flow in the valve body for better shifts. All the Shift + really does is boost your fluid pressure to give you firmer shifts, which could be bad for durability.

Just my $0.02
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

I would agree, an internal shift kit is better for long term use, although the electronic (b&m shift plus and Hpp3) one will help the life of your clutches if you drive hard.
[size=75]1 of 6 Wheatland Yellow Sonoma's in Canada

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290324509]Truck Pics[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

AZS10Crew wrote: All the Shift + really does is boost your fluid pressure to give you firmer shifts, which could be bad for durability.

I have an opposing view.

By increasing the pressures you are allowing less slipping, which generates heat and wear. Same thing for the quicker shifting less slipping.

If it is a bad thing why do the fullsize with the same 4L60E have the switch for "Tow mode" ? It does virtually the same thing.

I would not advocate huge increases in line pressure, but the HPPIII shift firmness is a big improvement over stock, IMO.

Steven had the B&M shift plus, maybe he'll give his opinion.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I can see your point. Like I said though, that was all word-of-mouth info from FBody message boards that I was on. I never witnessed any problems myself. I did talk to several transmission people when I got my internal shift kit installed, and they all seemed to think that the internal kits were much better in the long run (and they all sold the B&M ones too...so there was not really any bias).

I'm far from a tranny expert though. :)
[size=75]Mark
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

If you want, I can ask my buddy who's the Dodge tranny tech at a local dealership...just say something....he "hot-rod's" on the side, so he won't be biased towards the dealer's point of view.
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
Steven
Crew
Crew

Post by Steven »

Yeah I had it on my s10 for about 1-1/2 years and it worked just fine. I never ran it in "race" mode. With my new silverado., I'm running the hpp3 and feel that the B&M did a little better as far as firmness. And Now I have the option of race/tow mode built right in.

I wouldn't be afraid to use the B&M in mode 1 but not mode 2. I think long turm in mode 2 it would hurt, but with mode 1 it just removes all that slop that GM builds into the 4l60e tranny.

Enjoy the quicker firmness and dont be afraid.
[size=75]Throttle Body Riser, CFM-Tech High Flow Throttle Blade, K&N Gen 2, JetChip Stage 2, IAT Relocated, Power Pulleys, Mod'ed MSF Sensor, Flowmaster 50, HD Radiator, MSD6AL Ignition w/MSD Wires, E-Fan, Aux. E-Fan, HD Trans Cooler, 180 Jet Power Stat, B&M Electronic Shift Improver, 2" Body lift[/size]
Steven
Crew
Crew

Post by Steven »

When I sold my S10, I pulled out the b&M Electronic shifter, I'll sell it to someone if your interested.

swharshbar@hotmail.com

Thanks

Steven
[size=75]Throttle Body Riser, CFM-Tech High Flow Throttle Blade, K&N Gen 2, JetChip Stage 2, IAT Relocated, Power Pulleys, Mod'ed MSF Sensor, Flowmaster 50, HD Radiator, MSD6AL Ignition w/MSD Wires, E-Fan, Aux. E-Fan, HD Trans Cooler, 180 Jet Power Stat, B&M Electronic Shift Improver, 2" Body lift[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I think that's the difference...the people I knew ran it in race mode all the time. :?
[size=75]Mark
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

AZS10Crew wrote:I think that's the difference...the people I knew ran it in race mode all the time. :?

That's scary, they don't last on race mode for too long.
[size=75]1 of 6 Wheatland Yellow Sonoma's in Canada

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290324509]Truck Pics[/url][/size]
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

Steven wrote:Yeah I had it on my s10 for about 1-1/2 years and it worked just fine. I never ran it in "race" mode. With my new silverado., I'm running the hpp3 and feel that the B&M did a little better as far as firmness. And Now I have the option of race/tow mode built right in.

I wouldn't be afraid to use the B&M in mode 1 but not mode 2. I think long turm in mode 2 it would hurt, but with mode 1 it just removes all that slop that GM builds into the 4l60e tranny.

Enjoy the quicker firmness and dont be afraid.

Im not afraid of mode 1 at all. Its just that mode 2 kinda makes you wonder whats going on down there.

Does mode 2 make your truck faster? Or is it very hard on the tranny?
[size=75]02 ZR5 CC, SFA D44 front, D60 rear, 40" IROKs, np200 2nd t-case. SOLD
05 F-350 CC FX4 Diesel, 7" lift 37" toyos, 14.18 1/4 mile ET[/size]
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

Well, I talked to my tranny friend this morning. He said the shift kit does indeed increase the pressure. He said it made it easier on the soft parts (the linkage) because of the quickness in shifts, but harder on the hard parts (the clutch packs). But he also said that since we have a V6, as opposed to a V8, things won't be under as much force, but to be careful. One last thing, he noted that there have been many updates to our tranny design, but the 3rd gear is still the weak link. So be nice to 3rd, I guess.

To show his perspective on things, like I said earlier in the post, he is the Dodge tranny tech a large local dealership, but he and his brother entirely rebuilt and tricked out an early-90's IROC-Z (It is bad) and he is currently about to outfit his LT1 Trans Am with an LT4 cam and heads, among other stuff. He's well-rounded is what I'm getting at.
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
Steven
Crew
Crew

Post by Steven »

It just makes the tranny shift HARDER. much harder,... I'd stay away from it unless your racing.

I like the Hpp3 better cause you can increase the shift firmness along with shift location. Rasing the rev limitor helps you keep each shift in max. torque longer.

Good luck

Steven