valve stem caps

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

duce
Crew
Crew

valve stem caps

Post by duce »

ok so I put after market valve stem caps on last summer and today I went to put some air in my tires and I cannot get the to rear one,s off :twisted: tried wd40,oil,cursing,but no go can anyone suggest something :?: I was thinking of replacing all of the valve stems with after market ones but not sure if its something I can do my self or have to get someone to do..dose anyone know...
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: valve stem caps

Post by barch97 »

duce wrote:ok so I put after market valve stem caps on last summer and today I went to put some air in my tires and I cannot get the to rear one,s off :twisted: tried wd40,oil,cursing,but no go can anyone suggest something :?:

you asked for suggestions to get the valve stem caps off. that'll work.

I can't gaurantee that your tires will hold air afterward though.

As far as replacing the valvve stems altogether... this is a relatively simple task. assuming of course you have or have access to the proper equipment to remove the tire from the rim and replace it. Any garage that does any sort of tire work will have this equipment on hand and will likely charge you only a few bucks to pull the tires, replace the stems, remount and balance the tires. in the 5 to 20 dollars per wheel range depending on where you go.
Scott03
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Scott03 »

Yeah that same thing happened with my g/f, only 15 bucks to replace the valve stem...not too bad.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

i dont ever have valve stems on any of my vehicles. fist thing i do is take them off, even if they are chrome
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

David A. Wright wrote:Airing down my tires for trail use, I’ve lost a valve stem cap a time or two. I generally place the valve cap on top the tire inside a deep tread groove to hold it in place, but it’s easy to forget it and leave it there in my haste to get my tires aired down and get on to the next tire; driving away results in a valve stem cap left behind.

In the past, I usually pick up a few caps – either find them or buy them – and keep them for those times I loose one. However, recently I heard about a website called OffRoadRecovery.com and browsing that site came across a product called NoLoss valve stem caps. These looked like a reasonably priced product of practical value.

Basically they are simply an brass cap with a rubber tether, which fits down over the stem and keeps the cap attached to the valve stem. In addition, the cap is brass and rated strong enough to hold air in case of a total valve stem failure; each cap has a rubber O-ring which creates a strong seal. The company claims that if you accidentally forget to replace the valve stem cap, its tether is strong enough to stay in place at speeds to 80 mph.

Their price is $11.99.

I purchased a set of NoLoss valve caps from OffRoadRecovery.com’s website, along with another product on Friday, February, 10, 2006. There was no sales tax since I lived outside of OffRoadRecovery’s native state of Colorado. UPS ground shipping charges were a bit more than $8 for both items. As is usual ordering off line, an email was automatically generated that gave me details of my order. The following Monday, I received another email from OffRoadRecovery notifying me that my order was shipped, along with a UPS tracking number to allow me to check on the progress of my order as it made its way to me.

On Thursday, February 16th, the UPS dropped off a small padded envelope with my NoLoss valve stem caps. On Friday, February 17th, I installed them.

Installation was straight forward and easy. The open end of the tether is tight and it’s easier to screw the tether in place than it is to push it down over the stem. I also speculate it’s easier on the tether to screw it in place and not stretch or tear it up by pushing it over the threads of the valve stem. Once it gets beyond the threads, it pops into the groove below the threads, where it will stay put. Installation took less than five minutes for all four caps, and that was because I accidentally installed the first one without watching how the cap was positioned – when it was in place the cap was upside down – and I had to unwind it and reinstall it correctly. The other three went on without problem.

The displaced four standard valve stem caps went into the small zip-lock baggie that the NoLoss caps came in, and into one of the tote boxes I keep on board in my truck at all times. Just in case in the future I loose one (I'm sure in time the rubber tether will sun rot and eventually break), break one or someone else needs a cap.
I think they are a good idea. I bought mine through the ebay store of Mesa4x4.comthey were $9.95 plus $4 priority postal for a total of $13.95 to my door.
From order to having them in my hands it took three days to Oregon.

The card says Extreme Outback Products http://www.extremeoutback.com country of origin: UK
No Loss Valve Caps (Qty 4)
Holds Air - Even without a Valve Core!

Imagine never losing a valve cap while airing up or down on your off-roading adventures. These caps are built for NATO military vehicles. Seems they want a valve cap that can hold tire pressures even if the valve core fails. Not a bad idea.

The No Loss cap is all brass with a knurled outer surface. Brass will not stick to your brass valve stem threads like those cheap aluminum caps. Road salts, road chemicals and moisture can set up electrolysis and actually fuse the aluminum caps to the brass valve stem threads. Can’t check your pressures if you can’t get the valve cap off, can we?

Inside the No Loss cap is a quality o-ring for a positive air tight seal. Guaranteed not to leak even if the valve core is missing.

Great for off-roaders that are airing up and airing down huge tires numerous times per day. If running low pressures off-road, just remove the core. Your compressor will thank you and your air down times will be much faster.

The retaining strap keeps the No Loss cap attached to your valve stem. No more losing caps, storing them in your mouth (yuck!) or fumbling in cold weather with gloves on. Forget to screw your No Loss caps back on?? Retaining strap is strong enough to withstand 80 mph speeds with the No Loss cap just hanging there!!

Can be used on any valve stem. The list is endless. 4WD’s, RV’s, sports cars, motorcycles, ATV’s, Semi Trucks, construction equipment, farm equipment, planes, mountain bikes, go karts, drag cars, etc.

Made in Great Britain.
The knurled caps are plated and hard to tell for sure, but by the weight I would guess that it is likely that they are indeed brass. I like that idea, and the prevention of electrolysis.

I invested in another set so that my spare has one as well. A set of five would have been nice.

I have had these for about a year and a half now. They really do work well. I found one that I forgot to thread back on. Who knows how long it had been loose. The tether works.
ExpeditionsWest wrote:Great little units. You can buy them directly from Extreme Outback Products in CA.

I did a little review a year ago on them http://www.expeditionswest.com/equip...ma/NoLoss.html

I even did a leak down test with the valve core removed and had no leaks

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

I would try a little bit of heat. Maybe a soldering iron rested on the top of the cap. Just enough heat to expand the cap to loosen it and not melt the rubber seal on the needle valve.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]