Additives

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Additives

Post by Cajun »

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post but here goes.

Part 1 - This thought started when I brought my crew to the dealer for an oil/filter/lube and to change the tail gate cables under warranty. With almost 50k the service manager recommended transmission service and a fuel injector cleaning service. I will probably do the transmission service as soon as I verify that it is a full flush and filter change. Is the injector cleaning necessary? All modern gasolines contain detergents and I replace the fuel filter ever 12k.

Part 2 - I scanned the additives isle at the local auto parts store and it seems at face value that all fluids need something added to them. Does anyone consistently use any type of additive? Lucas makes an oil stabilizer, Upper Cylinder Lubricant & Injector Cleaner and a Transmission Additive just to scratch the surface.

I'm just wondering which products and services are legit and which are pure snake oil, pardon the pun.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Sea Foam is something I use in the fuel and through the intake on a regular basis. It sounds like snake oil and I was skeptical but, am a believer now. Do a search here of sea foam or seafoam and see what pops up.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Additives

Post by killian96ss »

Cajun wrote:Is the injector cleaning necessary?
It won't hurt anything, but I don't believe it is absolutely necessary unless you are having fuel related problems. :wink:
Does anyone consistently use any type of additive? Lucas makes an oil stabilizer, Upper Cylinder Lubricant & Injector Cleaner and a Transmission Additive just to scratch the surface.
Lucas makes good stuff and I have used all the treatments you listed above with good results, especially the transmission additive which I am normally skeptical about. :wink:

Most of the name brand cleaners are good, but I would avoid Chevron Techron because it seems to clean so well that it strips the gasoline of its natural lubrication properties which can cause fuel pump and injector problems. :roll:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I believe in a maintenance dose of injector cleaner at oil change time.
I use the cheap stuff. Valvoline Synthetic has been working well in the fleet.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

Thanks for the replies guys!

I am jumping on Brule's band wagon of treatment at 3,000 mile oil change intervals. I couldn't find Reed's Sea Foam, but will keep looking, so I added a bottle of Lucas "Tune-up in a bottle" injector cleaner, upper engine lube and octane boost on my last fill-up and will begin using some type of product at oil change intervals.

So, does my engine oil need stabilizing? Does my transmission need any snake oil products?
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Cajun wrote:So, does my engine oil need stabilizing? Does my transmission need any snake oil products?
No to both ?'s. :wink:

Steve
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

excellent!!!