This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Tune up

Post by WVHogRider »

Split topic-HJ

OK..Looking for all "Top of the line Tune up parts & opinions" ...As I've been avg'n around 14mpg & now I'm :x ..I checked for the light show from the plug wires, that HJ mentioned, & zip, zero, nadda. At ~80-85K, I think it's time to upgrade. I think I would like to go with the Taylor wires, AC Delco Rapid Fires, & possibly the Accell cap/rotor, as well as cleaning/swapping the trans. fluid/filter, transfer case/differential fluid, etc....& Yes on fluids being Synthetic. If I forgot anything, please remind me..., but fuel filter was just changed at late summer, & MAF/IAT sensors & air filter are cleaned every oil changed. I'll need to clean the PCV valve & IAC sensor, (according to Killian96), but he could be sending me on a snipe hunt...j/k... :wink: ...I know what a PCV valve is (& where it is on the '72 Chelleve/older V-8's, but not what it does or anything,....or if it's in the same place on the CC, as I haven't looked for it yet), but never heard of an IAC sensor. All opinions/suggestions are appreciated.. :thumb:
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

WVHogRider wrote:..Looking for all "Top of the line Tune up parts & opinions" ...
My recommendations would be:

MSD Super Conductor 8.5mm Plug Wires (They are a little expensive, but they are also by far the best plug wires made) :wink:
AC Delco Double Platinum Or Rapid Fire Plugs (I had serious problems with the NGK's in my CC :twisted: )
Accel Cap & Rotor (Check your distributor vent screens for blockage) :wink:
AC Delco Transmission Filter (DO NOT USE FRAM filters) :roll:
Redline, Royal Purple, or Mobil 1 Gear Oil (75/90 or 80/90 and DO NOT ADD friction modifier) :wink:
GM, Castrol, Valvoline, or any name brand regular ATF (DO NOT USE synthetic tranny fluid) :wink:

Steve
Last edited by killian96ss on Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

WVHogRider wrote:never heard of an IAC sensor.
IAC sensor = Idle Air Control Sensor

This sensor is located on the throttle body and controls the amount of air entering the throttle body for a smooth and consistent idle. :wink:

The IAC pintle and throttle body (pintle seat) gets some gunk on it over time which can change the airflow slightly causing a rough idle. :wink:

Steve
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

I'm now debating between the Taylor 409 Pro Race 10.4mm wires and the MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Wires. Has anyone used or tried to install the 10.4mm wires on our turcks before? I'm still planning on getting the Accel Cap and Rotor.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

WVHogRider wrote:I'm now debating between the Taylor 409 Pro Race 10.4mm wires and the MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Wires. Has anyone used or tried to install the 10.4mm wires on our turcks before?
I would get the either the Taylor Thundervolt 8.2mm wires or the MSD 8.5mm wires.

The Taylor 409 Race wires are more for high output ignition systems on race vehicles, but if you really like them they will work fine on your CC.

I have used the MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor wires on several vehicles with good results. :D

I have the Taylor Thundervolts on my 88 S10 Blazer and they seem nice as well. :D

When buying spark plug wires always look at the resistance in ohms and RFI/EMI suppression.

As ohm resistance goes down the voltage to the plugs will increase. :wink:

The MSD Super Conductors and Taylor Thundervolts are about the same with 50 ohms per foot of resistance. :wink:

Steve
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

Accel Cap and Rotor, MSD plug wires, AC Delco Rapidfire plugs and fuel filter ordered. Looks like I may be getting dirty hands this weekend. :wink: