An annoyance at high speed

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

An annoyance at high speed

Post by Walt »

This is somewhat related to the post I just made in the N.O.S. forum about our ordeal today with one of my little girls.

On my way to the hospital, which is about six miles away, I pretty well kept my foot on the floor, but my truck never went above 95 mph, which was pretty frustrating. I didn't notice it at the time, but now that I think about it, I think the torque converter is engaging (or is it disengaging) at 90-95 mph, as my truck will accelerate quickly to 90 mph, but after that, the engine seems to slow down a bit, and getting to 95 mph takes forever, and 100 mph is out of the question. I don't regularly drive at these speeds, and I know that this is a minor annoyance, but it's an annoyance just the same. I may have to bite the bullet and do Brule's torque converter switch mod. Would that be the solution, or should I try something else?
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Glad to hear your girl is ok. If it was me I don't think I would worry to much about going 95 mph a S-Crew. I think your family needs you more than that....
Just my opinion.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

What is your rev limiter set at? What is your speed limiter set at?

Both settings can be adjusted with the HPPIII.

Does the converter lock at WOT?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

BADs Crew wrote:Glad to hear your girl is ok. If it was me I don't think I would worry to much about going 95 mph in an S-Crew. I think your family needs you more than that....
Just my opinion.
I agree, especially in cases like rushing to the hospital, one is usually preoccupied with the thoughts about the loved one, and not on the task at hand, as in driving. What would the extra 5 to 10 MPH save you in a six mile drive? Like 20 seconds!!! Not worth the risk to me. However, I understand your where you are coming from.
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Yes, the HPP3 is set to 110 mph. Rev limiter is set to 5600rpms, and I'm at WOT, still in 3rd gear. Even if I manually keep it in 3rd, it still does it. But it never shifts into overdrive.
--Walt
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

Stock shift tables will never let it shift into OD at WOT......Just like Torque Management, it's a tranny "saving" feature.

Likewise the TC should be unlocked at WOT, although that might be tickling a lockup point, and slightly bogging the motor making you lose the power required to maintain that speed (with your tire/gear/mod combo that I'm not 100% clear on).

Just some thoughts.
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Walt wrote:Yes, the HPP3 is set to 110 mph. Rev limiter is set to 5600rpms, and I'm at WOT...
Time for a tune-up? Check the ignition system (cap-rotor-plugs-wires) How is the fuel pump and fuel filter?

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Fuel pump and filter are brand new. Plugs and wires are only a few months old as well. Haven't checked cap and rotor. That'll be on my list of things to do next.

The drop off of power isn't gradual, it happens at just above 90 mph, with the same effect as when the TC does it's thing in OD, the RPMs drop a bit, as does power.
--Walt
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Do you have a HPP III? If. not when the max speed is reached, it just shuts down. Even the police packaged Tahoes did at 99-100mph. My 97 zr2 shut down at 90. Scare the H out of you until you realize what is happening.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:Do you have a HPP III? If. not when the max speed is reached, it just shuts down. Even the police packaged Tahoes did at 99-100mph. My 97 zr2 shut down at 90. Scare the H out of you until you realize what is happening.
Walt wrote:Yes, the HPP3 is set to 110 mph. Rev limiter is set to 5600rpms...
He does.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:......He does.
:oops: Sorry, I missed that.

Well, I guess that is all I can say about that :oops:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

f9k9 wrote:
HenryJ wrote:......He does.
:oops: Sorry, I missed that.

Well, I guess that is all I can say about that :oops:
:lol: :lol:

Your effort is appreciated nonetheless. :)
--Walt
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

My 97 S-10 with the Hypertech will not shift into OD over 98 mph either. The way its setup now it will run out of HP at about 115 and 5,500 RPM's in 3rd. If I let off the gass it will decelerate hard till 98 when it pops into OD. Although I did take the crew to the fuel shut off at 98 once it was definitely working harder to get there and much less stable at speed. I would guess into a head wind, up hill, with 3.42 gears, or needing a tune up it might not even make it to 100.

I second the statments above about running the crew over about 80. Its an SUV...
[size=75]"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Bash.org[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Mine accelerates strongly until I get between 90-95mph, and it starts to taper off, and barely makes it to 95mph with enough room. Before the HPP3, it would shift into OD at 90mph or so, but I still had the power loss between 90-95mph.
--Walt
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Ok, another update. At roughly 90-05mph, the engine speed drops by just over 100 RPMs suddenly. This isn't noticeable except for a gradual loss in power/acceleration.
--Walt
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

How is the condition of your cap, rotor and fuel regulator?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Still need to check those. We're in the process of moving, and I'm still working full time, atleast until next Friday :D, so I've been busy. I'll try to take a look ASAP.
--Walt