This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Ebay "cargo safari roof rack" saga

Post by F9K9 »

Edited title and moved-HJ

Buy it now at $216.00 w/$35.00 shipping. I have wrote and asked for detailed photos but, worth checking out. Mrs. Hoff wanted ideas for a Xmas gift and I was just looking around.

ImageImage
Last edited by F9K9 on Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
gairbear
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gairbear »

That's COOL.....decent price too.
Black '02 crew cab-30" BFG's, K & N FIPK, Go Rhino step bars, 2" body lift
B-Man

Post by B-Man »

These are very nice racks i have one and its awsome you get the light tabs and tire mount and its all in one package for a good price. Very sturdy construction too.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Reed, you need some of those lime green streetlock beauty rings on your wheels. :D
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

B-Man wrote:These are very nice racks i have one and its awsome you get the light tabs and tire mount and its all in one package for a good price. Very sturdy construction too.
Sounds good, is there anyway to lock the spare and H-Lift?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

f9k9 wrote:
B-Man wrote:These are very nice racks i have one and its awsome you get the light tabs and tire mount and its all in one package for a good price. Very sturdy construction too.
Sounds good, is there anyway to lock the spare and H-Lift?
I heard back from the seller and he advised me that he'd email me additional pics. They do not have a method to lock the jack or spare but recommended bicycle cable type locks. I asked again if, it would work on our style racks but have not heard anything back yet. How is yours mounted B-Man"?
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

It looks good. I think you could be creaitve and fab an EZ lock system other than a cable lock using a long shank pad lock and drilling some holes in the rite places.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Walt wrote:Reed, you need some of those lime green streetlock beauty rings on your wheels. :D
Go ahead and

laugh Mr Katrina Surviver and new born owner. :wink: Mrs. Hoff was looking hard at this for my Xmas gift.

1999 jeep cherokee XJ
4.0L Auto
65,000ish miles
8+ inches lift
35"Boggers ON 5 RockCrawler wheels, black Streetlock Series 152 15x8 5 on 4.5 lug
SYE w/ HD out put shaft
Tom Woods drive shaft
R&P, Locker have less than 8,000miles:
*D30, 4.56 gears, new u-joints, Detroit TrueTrac., Riddler HD cast iron diff cover.
*CHRYS 8.25 (29 spline), 4.56 gears, Spider Trax wheel spacers 1.25", Poison Spider Rockring diff cover.
Warn rear bumper w/tire carrier
** Front doors slide off quickly like TJ doors. Brass bushings keep them aligned.

$5,500

He's willing to toss in 5 more steel rims for some sort of ATs to use on the street. I can't see driving 90 miles to toss on the boggers when I arrive and then switching back after a long day on a trail. Towing is becoming to look like the next step.

Why did I even look for this site? It will be my downfall for sure :lol:
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

f9k9 wrote:Mrs. Hoff was looking hard at this for my Xmas gift. 1999 jeep cherokee XJ...
:D You are a very luck man to have a wife who would suggest something like that. :wink:

Steve
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

:schwing: :drool:
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

killian96ss wrote: :D You are a very luck man to have a wife who would suggest something like that. :wink:

Steve
border man wrote::schwing: :drool:
:lol: :lol: You guys didn't realize the significance of when she forgot my birthday when it fell on Mother's Day (I can't even locate that thread) did. ya?

She's still trying to make up for it but, that jeep is not realistic w/o a full size tow rig and that isn't really in our budget. I have to admit that after wheeling a few times with the guys/gals in Hazard that I my appetite is somewhat stimulated. :D I never thought I would ever wheel at my own expense after I retired.

A member here talked me into a shield or two and then one thing or another lead me to trail riding. According to Mrs. Hoff when I plowed into the the first mud bog with the CC, the Jeep, Taco owners were aghast with the fact that my paint may suffer. Like WTF? We ain't never gonna get a trade in value close to our investment. Just have fun!
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

f9k9 wrote:Just have fun!
This is what it's all about! :thumb:

Steve
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Man.....you'd better keep this one Reed! :)
--Walt
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I'll check my calender.
B-Man

Post by B-Man »

Sorry i have not been on, F9K9 the way it mounts up is right to the factory roof rack cross members. The rack has these U shaped pices of metal with a bolt on the bottom end that you slide over the stock roof rack cross member and then tighten the bolt to secure it I had to do some adjusting to get it to mount well but its really secure now and easy to get on and off. I will try and get some pics when the rain stops tomorrow possibly, it will be easier to see what i am talking about.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Thanks alot.
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Hey B-Man, What part of Maryland are your from? I didn't pick up on it until you spoke of the rain.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
B-Man

Post by B-Man »

I am actually from Leonardtown in Southern MD. Right now i am at school in Northern NJ and it has been pouring all day long. but the temp has been nice so its not all bad. What part of Baltimore are you from?
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

White Marsh. I'm 5 min. from the Mall and still in the middle of the last farm area around. I hope to relocate to Sussex County De. before next summer.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

It's enroute :)
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

B-Man wrote:Sorry i have not been on, F9K9 the way it mounts up is right to the factory roof rack cross members. The rack has these U shaped pices of metal with a bolt on the bottom end that you slide over the stock roof rack cross member and then tighten the bolt to secure it I had to do some adjusting to get it to mount well but its really secure now and easy to get on and off. I will try and get some pics when the rain stops tomorrow possibly, it will be easier to see what i am talking about.
Dayem, it must rain alot in MD :lol:

Looks like the ducks are losing the waterproofing on their feathers :!: I wrote the seller three times and got answered once and was promised that he/she would get back to me and he didn't. My last message to the the seller concerned if, KC Dayliter "style" lights would fit because all they showed was the Hella 500s which are very shallow compared to the KC ones. Sure enough, the light tabs are not long enough and the light mounting holes are too small. The quality on mine is marginal, at best.

I wrote the seller explaining the situation but, am not optimistic after reading his feedback history. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt before I work through my wife's profile on ebay. Will probably have to return it at my expense and keep shopping.

Just my luck, I closed the book today on a five month battle over my BFG AT KOs and an hour later start a new one :bonk:
B-Man

Post by B-Man »

Ah i am sorry dude i hve been having digital camera problems. They do mix well with college keg races :lol: so I am trying to get a repacement. My one friend is comming back from his GFs school tomorrow and i am going to steal his digital camera when he gets here so i can snap some pics. Sorry for the delay.
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

I ran across this one last night. I'm not looking but thought I'd post it. Roof Rack
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Ross (thawedout) bought his at NAPA. He works there , so he got an employee discount. He paid $300. It really is a good looking basket. I wish I could remember the brand name. It was not one I had heard before.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

B-Man wrote:Ah i am sorry dude i hve been having digital camera problems. They do mix well with college keg races :lol: so I am trying to get a repacement. My one friend is comming back from his GFs school tomorrow and i am going to steal his digital camera when he gets here so i can snap some pics. Sorry for the delay.
Hey, I was messing with you :thumb: Promised photos is a running joke around here. :lol: Just harassing Steve, not you, Bro! You did fine and am sure your rack is good.

I have posted this before but,will again.......am sure the older members are rolling their eyes into the back of their eye sockets :lol: but. I spent over 2 1/2 decades in cop stuff, 18 months in SE Asia during an "unfriendly" era, foolishly rappelled out of UH-60 Black Hawk choppers in the nineties to eradicate a plant that most of the American population thinks should be legalized! I had some very good luck during those times and maybe what has befallen me now is a generous "payback? I have had more than any one man's share of good luck. I am glad my "luck" lasted as long as it did. If, an Ebay offered basket rack arrives a tad faulty........I just look back and think of the times where I just hoped to see the next dawn, let alone worrying about some Ebay transaction.

"You don't bring a knife to a gun fight!........The first rule of law enforcement: make sure when your shift is over you go home alive. Here endeth the lesson. "........Sean Connery's Malone character to Kevin Costner's Elliot Ness character in the 1987 movie...."The Untouchables"
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

f9k9 wrote:....I wrote the seller explaining the situation but, am not optimistic after reading his feedback history. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt before I work through my wife's profile on ebay. Will probably have to return it at my expense and keep shopping.......
I shopped (ebay, froogle & google) allot on the internet since I wrote this seller before last weekend. Any rack is going to be Over $500 bucks by the time you add in 3 pairs of light tabs, shovel mount, Hi-lift jack mount, a spare mount and often a conversion to our stock racks ($100+) :x

Sure, I can have the thing modified but, I have no access to a decent welding shop in my area.

Here is what I see are my options since, the seller doesn't bother to answer emails.

1. Start a dispute through my wife's ebay account and get her money refunded after I pay for return shipping.

2. Write him again ( have 3 times)

3. Return my Summit lights and KC covers and put that money towards the Hella 500s (about a $70 difference)

4. Return the rack and swallow an additional $300 plus for a decent rack.

5. Show my usual a_s, flame the seller and run over the rack several times with the CC and start from scratch.

I really think I am exhibiting unusual restraint in this latest situation and sincerely do not give a flip on which of the options are chosen. I just do not consider walking into another of the local "Holler sloth's" welding businesses to attempt to explain what is needed to be done after, I have had to deal with them in the past, as an option!
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

Reed,
Next week, my online acct will be finalized with my distributor and i'll be retailing Thule, PIAA, KC, Eagle Eye, etc... let me know if you need anything and i'll get you the best deal i can.
[size=75][url=http://www.synergyoffroad.com]Synergy Offroad[/url][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Jigg wrote:Reed,
Next week, my online acct will be finalized with my distributor and i'll be retailing Thule, PIAA, KC, Eagle Eye, etc... let me know if you need anything and i'll get you the best deal i can.
May take you up on that Justin :wink: I was looking for votes for numbers 1-5 of my posted alternatives or additional ones.

You can post "alternative #6" as "buy from me and get your email answered". :wink:

I'd gladly buy from you if, my email is answered promptly (which I know it will) and the price is decent. I pay more for the added communication and service :thumb:

I have had, at least, two purchases from Justin and rank him a solid 10 out of 10!
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

option #6 pack tubes full of thermite ,set cap,hit ignitor video the thing and put on youtube.Image
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

04crewvt wrote:option #6 pack tubes full of thermite ,set cap,hit ignitor video the thing and put on youtube.Image
That's my kind of Holiday Spirit, BrianImage
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Still no word from my Seller but I gave this seller Custom Rack Builder the dimensions of 45" x 50" rack with the options of mounting a, Hi-Lift Jack, Shovel, spare tire and the ability to mount four KC's on the front and two to the rear, to give an estimate. His stuff comes unfinished but, we'll see what he can do. I like the look of his stuff and his attitude.

And yes, I know the bottom block placement offsets his point that he is trying to make but, the size of the other pics on Ebay would have brought Brule's or Walt's editing tool to bear on me :lol:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That rack looks pretty good.
Some things to think about. This is not designed to encourage or discourage, just some thoughts.

The square tubing may or may not be a good choice. It is strong, but not as aerodynamic, harder to paint or coat. Holds moisture on the bottom side and has edges to scratch. Aesthetically it is not as soft and may look somewhat out of place? It may even create some disturbing wind noise? I can understand why it is used since it is strong and much easier to assemble.

Raw steel needs to be primered before painting and a rack with lots of tubes is difficult to paint at best. Getting good coverage can be quite an ordeal.
Powder coating offers a significantly tougher coating and resists scratching, as well as the fact that it, when done right, covers and protects better. Powder coating would cost $200-$300 (a guess) That may be why the "name brand" racks cost more?

This is all just things to think about. I have not done much research on safari racks. I looked into them briefly, but opted for the cargo box instead. It meets my needs better.

The wind noise issue could be solved by adding a faring. The issue of "look" may just be in the eye of the beholder. A case of paint, a good place to work and patience, anything can be adequately painted. Paint can be touched up from time to time.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:...................The wind noise issue could be solved by adding a faring. The issue of "look" may just be in the eye of the beholder. A case of paint, a good place to work and patience, anything can be adequately painted. Paint can be touched up from time to time.
HenryJ wrote: .............good place to work and patience"

Not exactly listed in my top 100 strong points but, the added valid input on these items made me aware of things that I had not even thought about.

I do not know why I am trying to cut corners on a basket at this point. I will try to return this basket if, the seller will refund her money. I may as well suck it up and maybe make one more stab at writing the seller to make it right or simply return it and get a commercial basket that will fit my needs.

I hope that reasoning makes sense to someone because I don't know if, it does to me :lol:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

A commercial basket may be no better. There are many variables to consider though.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:A commercial basket may be no better. There are many variables to consider though.
That is a given but, it all can safely be postponed until after the holiday :D

Happy Thanksgiving :wink:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Two more messages to the seller but, no responses from him. I have wrote Ebay explaining that the seller's 7 day return/refund has expired and that I do not know how to return it because the seller will not communicate with me or the buyer (my wife). Meanwhile this 68° weather is killing me knowing that it is going to change after the weekend and this junk is just sitting here. If, nothing is heard from the seller or Ebay by Monday evening, I am going to put it up on ebay using his pics (if, legal) for $ .99 with no reserve. I will make sure to point out what lights will work with it and what ones will not! I will also allude to where it came from and why I am selling it. Outside of the light mounting issues and some minor cosmetic problems it, is not a bad rack for the price. I am pretty sure that I am going with the Yakima Load warrior . Some mounting questions are not really clear to me at this point but, I have emailed some sellers trying to pin down solid answers.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:... I am pretty sure that I am going with the Yakima Load warrior ...
I think one of our members has one of those. mjmcdowell posted about adding a removable light to his rack, I think.

I have seen several expedition rigs with them. I believe that they are designed to be mounted via the Yakima load bars. Gm makes some bars that are more affordable. I am sure that there is a way to mount directly to your rack though. Seems like I saw a ZR2 Blazer that used u-bolts.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I am pretty sure fit will w/o much modding. Yakima has a fitment program that even lists our CCs but, not the load warrior by name. Seems most rack makers are catering to the bicycles, snow bunnies and kayaks now. It just takes a little digging and I have some emails out to sellers that encouraged me to write them. I wrote to a seller of the Thule MOABs today and was told it would fit but, I needed to stick with the OEM's wgt limitations, The Warrior with light mounts, shovel, Hi-Lift mount with spare tire carrier should be around $450 unless the universal mounts will not do the trick. Crying shame that I couldn't take advantage of this weather to get it on and lights working with my ride coming up on Sunday with the Jeeps.

With your knowledge and tools, you could have had it up and running with maybe $50 in additional materials and probably much less :lol: A mig welder is definitely looking like a tool I will have to get! :wink:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If it is a Christmas present. You are still almost a full month ahead of schedule. Patience, patience :mg:

The universal mounts should work. If you decide you need the round bars for attachment, look to the GM load bars.

The welder would be a nice tool for sure. It is quite an investment. One that I have yet make for the garage at home.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Just an update. The seller has not responded to several additional messages. Mr's Hoff's account has attained the Seller's name, phone number and address last Friday but we refrained from calling until this past Monday. The first 2 days we tried to call during during normal CST business hours without luck. I have called later since then. No answering machine or anything available. I already ordered a new Yakima Load Warrior rack with the extras. I am going to wear his phone out this weekend and if, we have no results then, we'll open a dispute on Ebay. A dispute is the last thing I want to do because he has not left feedback for Mrs. Hoff, the buyer. He'll be able to leave neg. feedback for her and that is not desirable.

News other than that, I have recently taught her immature African Gray parrot to say, "I'm Jarhead" and "AFLACK" :lol: I may not have much time left with the living :lol:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Dirty the ebay name and dirty the bird. You may be in for it. You know the saying- "They have half the money and all the ..."
Santa might want to be very good to her this year ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

"AFLACK" :lol: :lol: :lmao: I love it.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:Dirty the ebay name and dirty the bird. You may be in for it. You know the saying- "They have half the money and all the ..."
Santa might want to be very good to her this year ;)
I think you are witnessing quite a bit of restraint on my part during all of this :lol: Old dogs can learn new tricks but, I am at my limits :!: Mts. Hoff is always taken care of, btw. I am about to ask Border Man to research this guy and see if, any leverage might be attained. :!:
BADs Crew wrote:"AFLACK" :lol: :lol: :lmao: I love it.
It is worth the price that I am paying :wink:
mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Roofrack......02 worth

Post by mjmcdowell »

f9k9....by the way thanks for the "welcome home" as we are "brothers under the skin" for our experiences long ago as a buddy of mine says. Anyway I have a "Proline" basket on my crew mounted on "Yakama" cross bars with the fairing to go with it. I have had it mounted for 2 northern NY winters now and have not had a problem, as noted in an previous post I did however change out all the nut's, bolts etc. with stainless tho and I have had a lot of weight on at times as a rule I don't like lots of weight up top but the few times I did, not a problem, you can get an extension to make it longer also. Price was a consideration as was value, search "proline roof racks" you may find something you like, oh yes.... some time we will have to discus our respective vacation trip to the land of "Winken blinken end nod"! ha,ha, stay safe, mjmcdowell
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: Roofrack......02 worth

Post by F9K9 »

mjmcdowell wrote:f9k9....by the way thanks for the "welcome home" as we are "brothers under the skin" for our experiences long ago............. some time we will have to discus our respective vacation trip to the land of "Winken blinken end nod"! ha,ha, stay safe, mjmcdowell
You're very welcome and anytime you're ready to chat just holler at me. For some insane reason I took a second "vacation" there. It took me a couple of decades to finally turn around and face my demons but, I don't have a need to look over my shoulder anymore :D
mjmcdowell wrote:Anyway I have a "Proline" basket on my crew .................. search "proline roof racks" you may find something you like............
Thanks for the "heads up" but, you're about 19 hrs too late :bonk: I ordered the Yakima last night.

One last and hopefully final piece of news is that the seller finally answered a message. I am about 99.9% sure that he had someone do his ads for him and that "someone" should be enlisted to check his ebay and email daily because until I used his first name at the beginning of a message he wouldn't respond. The seller's message contained only his name and address (all lower case), which, I already had. I can only guess that means that the rack may be returned and Mrs. Hoff will have her money credited back.

The phone was never answered because they didn't recognize the number and I bet couldn't speak English.

I also suspect that Mrs Hoff has tricked me once again because every time I find a gift for her to get me online they do not accept either of her two cards (Am Ex) and (paypal credit). :lol:

I use my accounts to purchase the "gift" and the subject is never brought up again. No transfer of funds, cash or checks appear for reimbursement and I ain't going to say "Honey, what about the money you owe me?" Maybe it is a way of blessing what I spend on mods :lol:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

No reimbursement for Mrs. Hoff yet but, the rack arrived back to the seller last Thurs. 12/7/2006.

The Yakima Load Warrior is here and everything but the lights are installed on it.

ImageImageImage

I am still not convinced about this mod. Yakima recommends 30" between bows and I don't hardly have that much distance separating them. I can hang on the sides with no movement but, I am able to make it rock fore and aft with some effort. Lights will only add more weight. I'll run it for now and I am in contact with Yakima customer support. The are first class and will respond within 4 hours 8 AM to 5 PM PST. I may have to look at eliminating the oem bows and try other options if, I have to.
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Looks sweet. Now I want to see back up lights that will melt the snow off your driveway. :lol:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

BADs Crew wrote:Looks sweet. Now I want to see back up lights that will melt the snow off your driveway. :lol:
Thanks! Am still trying to get the base rack system stabilized I heard back from Yakima Support today and it seems like they won't warranty their basket on our oem cross bass bars and had a few suggestions but, this mod has skyrocketed out of sight.
Chris at Yakima Support wrote:Thank you for contacting Yakima Customer Support!
We recommend using the Lowrider tower system for your needs. The Load Warrior is not warrantied when attached directly to your factory crossbars. Your truck looks like it is ready for some mean trails. I would hate to hear that your basket came off in the middle of nowhere. Here is the info on how the Yakima Fit Team recommends you fit a Load Warrior to your truck:

Vehicle: CHEVROLET S-10 Crew Cab
Year Range: 2002-2004
Factory Rack: With Factory Rack Weight Limit: 150
Tower/Attachment: LowRider (MSRP $140, Found them for $74.95)
Rqd Accessory:
Crossbar Length: 48" CrossBars (MSRP $54.00. found them for $45.00)

Gear Baskets:
BasketCase
LoadWarrior (MSRP 299.00, found one for $229.00)
BasketCase Stretch Net
Destination 10 Soft Pack
Locking Bracket
LoadWarrior Stretch Net
Destination 7 Soft Pack
Light Mounting Bracket (MSRP $35.00, found them for $27.00)
Spare Tire Carrier (MSRP $75.00, found them for $60.00)
Hi-Lift Jack Bracket (MSRP $75.00 found one for $60)
Oh well, might as spend what I have :lol:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Case closed! Mrs. Hoff has her money back from the seller. :cheers:
CWard

Post by CWard »

I do a lot of mountain biking and have a Yakima roof rack. You have two options when mounting stuff on your roof. You can either mount it to your factory cross bars or you can get the "towers" which attach to the side rails and use load bars. My factory cross bars are not so sturdy so i went for the load bars since i have my bikes way up in the air and thats a lot of torqueing. I would suggest checking out www.rackattack.com because i got a great deal from them. I got my complete bike system for around 360 where it would have cost me 512 at the local bike shop. [/url]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

If, you read the email 3 replies up from Yakima they don't recommend the factory cross bars. I ordered the lowrider mounts and the 48" crossbars last week. They will probably arrive after the 70° weather leaves that we are currently enjoying here.
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

F9K9,

I have the lowrider towers with 60" cross bars on my CC, lowrider towers with 48" bars on my Subie and a basement full of accessories for my bikes, boats and camping gear. Yakima makes top notch equipment. My CC is my fourth vehicle to be outfitted with a Yakima rack. All accessories are interchangeable and the lowrider towers will fit almost any factory roof rack. Your CCs roof will peel off like a sardine can lid before the Yakima stuff lets go. I routinely ride two 16' canoes on the OEM/Yakima combo while driving 70 mph on the interstate. I have my lowriders mounted directly to the OEM roof rack brackets, I don't trust the wimpy members that span between the brackets. You will be happy with the investment. Good luck!
[size=75]03 ZR5 Crew Cab[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Thanks for the info, Cajun :D
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

Soooo...What's the latest on your roof rack project?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Money and rack returned. I went with the Yakima basket and your set up.
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

Photos...Please!

I am very courious to see how things turned out!
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

f9k9 wrote:Pics of lights installed but, not wired yet.

Close to the bottom of this thread.
--Walt
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

IF, the rain holds off tomorrow, I may get the final wiring done if, no freakin' ducks get adopted :lol: I am not really happy with the lights on top the rack (due to their 6" size) and may sell them and get rectangular ones that can be mounted below the top of the rack. That Yakima fairing swivels down to expose the lights that would normally be hidden behind it. Just imagine the lights mounted under the light bracket. I have seen pictures but, cannot locate one now.

Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

Very Nice!!! :bounce:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Thanks :D The problem is I had to relocate the spare back to it's bed Baja spare carrier due to the front end being lowered from the weight. I have tweaked the TBs since then to eliminate some tire rubbing issues from the weight. It may work now with the spare back on top but, without the spare the lights look a little too much for me. I'll try to grab a pic of the basket sans spare and see what you think.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Reed, no duck funerals tomorrow? :lol:
--Walt
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Walt wrote:Reed, no duck funerals tomorrow? :lol:
Better check the electrical mod section. I just lost 100 IQ points.