Lift, Lower, or remain unchanged.

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Lift, Lower, or remain unchanged.

Post by 2kwik4u »

SO I've been contemplating the path to take with the ZR5. I have a couple thoughts, but can't decide which way to go.

With winter coming the Xtreme is going into hibernation for some mods (Front suspension rebuild, big brakes, new motor, etc), so the ZR5 is back to my primary driver. I like the truck, but it needs something. I'm just not sure what.

My first thought is to drop it about 3-4 inches, throw some nice 17's on it, add a sway bar to the rear, and enjoy driving something that handles a good deal better. My ONLY concern with doing this is that the ZR5 has the side steps, and the nice wheels. I hate removing things that I'm sure I paid extra for. However I surely don't need the steps if the truck is 3-4 inches closer to earth (plus the switch from 28" tires to 26" tires getting it closer to the ground). I'd definately either put some airshocks, or airbags on there to keep the load capacity since I do tow/haul every so often with it.

My other thought is a BL, T-bar crank, and shackles. Still add a rear bar, and then add some nicer sized tires. Not sure how big to go, but nothing crazy. My ONLY reservation on this is that in a daily driver application, and with a truck that RARELY if ever sees the offroad area, I almost feel as though I'm wasting the cash on something I'm never going to use in the urban jungle where I drive 99.9% of the time. Quite literally I've used the 4wd 12-15 times this year, and 11-14 of those times I was fetching the trailer from the wet grass, where the rears were spinning a little, and I didn't want to tear up the turf anymore than I had to.

My third thought (which is a longshot to begin with as the modding bug pretty much stays with me), is to leave it the hell alone, drive the wheels off it, fix what breaks, and put all my mod money/time into the Xtreme. Like I said I think this is a longshot, but this is what all the local S-series guys are telling me to do.

Anyone have any thoughts? Suggestions? Comments? Boos? Cheers?
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Money is best focused on one project.

If you want to make the crew cab look more like a truck add the bodylift and some 30's. Leave it at that and focus elsewhere.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kermit »

lift it and then put 17's on it!

nah.. I'd agree w/ HJ on this one. As much as I'd like to see another CC modded, the less you spend on it, the more you can trick out the Xtreme.
2003 Dark Green S-10 Crew Cab 4x4 with 265/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 17x8 Black Rock Type D Series 909B Wheels, TB crank, Boise Spring Works rear leaf spring kit, 2" PA body lift, Skidz Custom Cut-Out Fender Flares
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:If you want to make the crew cab look more like a truck add the bodylift and some 30's.
This is what I would recommend as well, although it would be cool to see a CC converted from part time 4 wheel drive to AWD and lowered about 4". 8) I realize some people only use 4 wheel drive for the snow :roll: , however an AWD lowered CC makes more sense to me. :wink:

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

killian96ss wrote:
HenryJ wrote:If you want to make the crew cab look more like a truck add the bodylift and some 30's.
This is what I would recommend as well, although it would be cool to see a CC converted from part time 4 wheel drive to AWD and lowered about 4". 8) I realize some people only use 4 wheel drive for the snow :roll: , however an AWD lowered CC makes more sense to me. :wink:

Steve
Just a little history before anyone considers a jump into AWD from 4WD. I had a 1st gen Eclipse turbo FWD platform. It got a solid 29 mpg! I traded it for the same year AWD version and lost 9 mpg. Was it worth it?

He_L YES!!!! :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

Thanks for the thoughts fellas, Keep em coming.

I've been talking with JSM all afternoon, and while a Sy-Clone CC project was defiantely high on the "way cool ideas" list, we both agreed, that the Xtreme needs a year of TLC before I do anything.

Come spring time, I'm going to throw a rear sway on the crew, some tint, and a sub....call that good for awhile, and concentrate on a successfull Autocross season with the Xtreme. All new suspension and brakes, and the GT28RS I've been eyballing on ebay for a few months will finally get that install I think. 225WHP goal for the Xtreme should be plenty O fun with prolly 250-275lb-ft in a 3,000lb truck should make for an enjoyable truck, and plenty of power for either SM or SM2.

Once the Xtreme is in ALOT nicer condition, I'll look back into making the ZR5 into a nice AWD Boost-mobile :D
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]