transmission cooler

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

jeremy
Regular
Regular

transmission cooler

Post by jeremy »

Are transmisson coolers available for 02 cc, if so, whats a good brand.
jeremy
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

jeremy,
go to napa, ask for a tranny cooler. pay 50 bucks. then follow the instructions on how to put it in. should take 30 minutes :wink:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
jeremy
Regular
Regular

Post by jeremy »

im having trouble getting my grill off, :shock: it is aggravating, help.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Just grab it and pull. It's only snapped in with little clippy things.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
jeremy
Regular
Regular

Post by jeremy »

ok, :? , so do i realy have to cut the transmisson lines. :( , i dont want to inflict any pain on my truck, it has feelings you :poke: know. :P ,
jeremy
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

so i take it you got the grill off. just pry it off at the ends and top..it will eventually pop out. and yes, cut the tranny line :wink:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
jarhead
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jarhead »

jeremy wrote:ok, :? , so do i realy have to cut the transmisson lines. :( , i dont want to inflict any pain on my truck, it has feelings you :poke: know. :P ,
jeremy
:D :cry: :o
2001 pewter crew She's for sale
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

jeremy wrote:ok, :? , so do i realy have to cut the transmisson lines. ...
Nope, I didn't cut mine.
I wanted to be able to put it back to stock and bypass the cooler in the event of a problem.
My cooler came with an adapter fitting for the radiator, I then just slipped the trans line fitting back far enough to put the hose on and clamp it.

It is a pita, but I would suggest putting the cooler in the bottom line so that the stock cooler in the radiator tank can return the fluid to operating temperature for faster warm-ups, which promotes longer transmission life.
Last edited by HenryJ on Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

HenryJ wrote:
Nope, I didn't cut mine.
I wanted to be able to put it back to stock and bypass the cooler in the event of a problem.
My cooler came with an adapter fitting for the radiator, I then just slipped the trans line fitting back far enough to put the hose on and clamp it.

It is a pita, but I would suggest putting the cooler in the bottom line so that the stock cooler in the radiator tank can return the fluid to operating temperature for faster warm-ups, which promotes longer transmission life.
hmmm. i remember something like that. mabey i didnt cut mine either i just pulled it off and attached another hose...

FYI: brule hooked his up different, its a better way but different from what the instructions prolly told you to do. i did mine the easy way
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
jeremy
Regular
Regular

Post by jeremy »

ok, so you recommend attaching it to the bottom trany line, well im glad you told me, i haven't put it on yet, so ill do that. thanks
jeremy
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I had my grille and bumper off , so I thought I'd add a picture of my transmission cooler-

It is a "sandwich" or "aircraft" style cooler.
Last edited by HenryJ on Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Is it your photo editor or is water a premium in Oregon? :lol: :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:...is water a premium in Oregon?
The weather here is terrible. I almost didn't take the pics since everything is coated with a layer of mud. :!:

I'll hose it off tomorrow if we reach above freezing ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

i GOT SNOW .. DID U BRULE?
BACK TO THE TRANNY COOLER.. CORRECT ME IF i AM WRONG.. BUT IF YOU LEAVE THE TRANNY LINES ON THE ORIGINAL RADIATOR COOLER.. WOULDN'T YOU HAVE TO RUN A RUBBER HOSE ALL THE WAY FROM THE SIDE OF THE TRANNY TO THE FRONT OF THE VEHICLE? :?:
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

2bunik wrote:i GOT SNOW .. DID U BRULE?
BACK TO THE TRANNY COOLER.. CORRECT ME IF i AM WRONG.. BUT IF YOU LEAVE THE TRANNY LINES ON THE ORIGINAL RADIATOR COOLER.. WOULDN'T YOU HAVE TO RUN A RUBBER HOSE ALL THE WAY FROM THE SIDE OF THE TRANNY TO THE FRONT OF THE VEHICLE? :?:
[whispering] yes, we got snow ;) [/whisper] (no need to SHOUT ;) )

I am running the lines in series with the stock cooler. The rubber lines just go from the aux cooler to the radiator cooler connection that I intercepted.
Rubber lines all the way back to the transmission would also be a bit risky. Steel or braided stainless steel wrapped would be better if indeed the occasion should arise.

It flows like this: lower line pumps fluid from the transmission to where I attach the hose and route it to the aux cooler. It then leaves the aux. cooler and returns to the lower connection on the in tank stock cooler. Flows through it and back to the transmission via the upper steel line.

This allows the fluid to be warmed to operating temperatures during cold weather as well as reducing the temperatures and transferring less heat to the coolant during hot weather.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

oohhhh I like that setup ... its simple.. very simple setup. cool.. Sorry for yelling..
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
anthony

Post by anthony »

holdon there hoss,i see it might be too late but dont cut those lines if i dont want to...if u wanna run rubber lines(foolish)get a brass barbed nipple fitting to fit into radfiator,the a brass connector to fit on the end of your trans line and another brass barbed fitting for the other ond of the connector..this way u get leak free fitting with no cutting.return to stock just remove nipple and screw trans line back in......what i did was get brake tubing with the right size connectors on it,a cheap tubing bender and some patience and ran some nice prebent lines which hooked directly into radiator and trans line,thru the opening behind battery,up front and ddirectly into coler..no rubber lines to worry about breaking,no sharp edges on core support to cut lines..and the way it was bent around battery u think it was stock..and the cost was minimal...i would send a pic but right now s10 is at body shop getting repair after some dude ddecided to turn left right in front of me..
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

anthony wrote:holdon there hoss,i see it might be too late but dont cut those lines if i dont want to...
:wave: You're right ;) ^
a2b wrote:
HenryJ wrote:
Nope, I didn't cut mine.
My cooler came with an adapter fitting for the radiator, I then just slipped the trans line fitting back far enough to put the hose on and clamp it...
...mabey i didnt cut mine either i just pulled it off and attached another hose...

- ThunderII KE7CSK
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

Could those of you that have installed a transmission cooler please
post the make and model. I want to do some comparing.......thanks
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

This may have been the first trip that I have had time to pay attention to the transmission temperature.
The auxiliary cooler is of utmost importance.

I was not loaded heavy, as most of the expedition gear was left home. The temps were consistently in the 90-100º range. Primarily highway driving. I did have the cargo box on top. On a good hard pull I was able to get up to 220º trans temp. It cools down rapidly within a few miles. I would say it easily cools down as fast as it heats up.
Most of the time it runs probably 10-20º below engine temperature. On a good hard pull it will swing the other side about the same amount.

This was all with a small load. I can not imagine what it would do with no aux cooler , and pulling a load.

Those who have yet to install a cooler....move it to the top of your list.

- ThunderII KE7CSK