steering damper

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

steering damper

Post by top_sgt »

here's the steering damper i got with my pro-comps last year. i haven't found a center/drag link that will work on my truck.

yes,,,i know gen 1 will work....haven't found one though!!!

so........i saw at LMC trucks that the gen 1 used a similar setup to addon a damper. so...i fabed the plate and u-bolts... bolted it on...bolted to the frame and there i go!!!!!

will this work OK??!!??!! i don't do any "hard" 4 wheeling..........yet!!
what do you guys think???? i think it will be ok!!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Perfect! :bow: Well done!

I see no reason why it would not work under any conditions.
As long as there is clearance and the cylinder has enough travel , you should be just fine.

How do you like it so far? Mine has been a nice addition - Steering stabilizer Question and install

I can't tell from the picture, but did you use locking nuts? I would. Steel stop nuts or Nylocs would be fine, maybe even double nut everything instead? I would feel better if they were locked.
Last edited by HenryJ on Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Thats basicaly the way the Rancho steering stabilizer I have bolts up. I have had no problems with it. I would check for loose nuts occasionally and to make sure it hasn't shifted position which could cause steering bind. Other than that I think you are good to go.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

thanks, guys!!!! :D

and yes HJ...those are locking nuts!! would not have used anything else!!!

after i bolted everything up..i cycled the steering a couple of times to check clearances....all was OK!! :D

and i does make a difference.....steering seems more stable over city bumps....and i like that!!!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It should be a very good addition for use with larger tires offroad and on rutted highways.
Mine seems a little more stable on the highway. Who knows it may even prolong the life of the steering components by reducing vibration and dampening the shock?
Dunno, can't hurt though :mg:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Okay, I bought a steering stablizer off Ebay awhile back and it is definitely not for a 4WD 1st of 2nd gen 4WD. It does have a bracket to attach to the draglink that will accept a dampener with a straight threaded end for that connection. I am having problems finding a dampener that will work on the drag link end and be able to utilize the stock frame mount on our crews. The swapping of the drag link is not an option for me due to being unable to find at a yard that will pull it for me and the lack of older trucks lingering around before being sold for the steel.

Thanks
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]