A-Pillar Trim

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

A-Pillar Trim

Post by SONOMA915 »

Can someone with a 2000-2001 Crew Cab please post a few pictures of their stock a-pillar trim. A few different angles would really help me on my little project. Thanks.
Last edited by SONOMA915 on Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]2004 GMC Sonoma ZR5 (Sold)
2005 Toyota Tacoma[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Is there a difference in 2001-up? I know the headliner changed starting in 2002, but was unaware of a-post trim changes.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

As far as I know the plastic panel is the same.... :)
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

A-Pillar trim panel is different shape on the 2003-2004, found that out when I tried to install guage pods. The pods are supposed to fit all s-10/blazer from 95-2001 but have the wrong profile for the 2003-2004 and I have not found anyone making one to fit them at this time.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Link the brand you bought.

What about replacing the whole trim piece like I did?

Or could you use a heat gun to make it pliable and form it to yours?

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

04crewvt wrote:A-Pillar trim panel is different shape on the 2003-2004, found that out when I tried to install guage pods. The pods are supposed to fit all s-10/blazer from 95-2001 but have the wrong profile for the 2003-2004 and I have not found anyone making one to fit them at this time.
I'm trying to fit the trans. gauge that I bought on the pillar, thats why I need some pics of the older a-pillar trims. I will post my install as soon as I find something I can work with.
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

HenryJ wrote:Link the brand you bought.

What about replacing the whole trim piece like I did?

Or could you use a heat gun to make it pliable and form it to yours?
Do you know the name of the company and the part number of that a-pillar trim? That would work perfect.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Gauge pod

I picked mine up used from a ZR2.com member.

LMC does list a dual partial one for '94-'03, but you may already know that.

They also have a full pillar dual gauge pod #37-8261 for '94-'98 , that may be what mine is?

StewartWarner lists a couple add on pods, but there are no photos.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Ok lets see if I can show where the problem lies:
A-Pillar in Truck
Notice bulge in pillar
cutaway of guage pod
profile is close
this area interferes with bulge in A-Pillar and does not allow pod to sit flush. I think cutting out the offending area on the pillar would work but I don,t want to have to replace it if I messed it up.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Boy you are right they did redesign that trim piece. The headliner looks a little different at that point as well.

Looks like cutting is your only option. Maybe see if you can find a used one to destroy...ur, uhh...modify?

One like I have may work, but it would have to be tried and definately would not match the other side.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Yup once again the 03-04 have to deal with the last model year changes which have not had as many aftermarket parts designed for them. My guess is that the entire pillar is a different shape so even getting one from a junkyard won't work to get a matched set for both sides. That's why my triple guage pod was cut down, to see if I could somehow cut and fit to the pillar with no luck.
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

HenryJ wrote:Gauge pod

I picked mine up used from a ZR2.com member.

LMC does list a dual partial one for '94-'03, but you may already know that.

They also have a full pillar dual gauge pod #37-8261 for '94-'98 , that may be what mine is?

StewartWarner lists a couple add on pods, but there are no photos.
I'm trying to find the full pillar, so I wont have to do too much cutting or heating. If worse comes to worse I'll have to improvise.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Mine started off life as a triple pod that ran from the headliner to the dash. They do not have the extension that travels down the side of the dash along the door weatherstripping so I would have had to cut that off the pillar trim. Also the angle of the a-pillar did not allow the pod to sit evenly even without the trim piece installed.There seems to be a slight twist in the angle of the pillar that interfered with the base of the pod.
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

When I figure it out I will post pics and install tips.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

sounds good I have a trams temp and oil temp guage just sitting around until I could figure this problem out myself. Maybe with two of us working on it one of us will figure something outImage
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Here is 3 pic of my 01. Its dark out now but I did the best I could.

[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Yup, totally different profile what a PITA
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Why don't you email the S-10 warehouse from eBay and see if he can get you a pair of the 01 piller covers.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

Thats a good idea, I totally forgot about them. I wonder if they are direct fit?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

BADs Crew wrote:Why don't you email the S-10 warehouse from eBay and see if he can get you a pair of the 01 piller covers.
That may not work? The headliner is different. I don't think the top portion would fit properly and look right. Check out the profile in the comparative pictures-

ImageImageImage
Last edited by HenryJ on Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

Maybe the a-pillar is all that is different?
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Unfortunatly I think the pillar itself is a different shape so the older trim won't fit. If I could find a loose piece cheap I might try it but I don't want to buy a set that will end up in the seemingly endless supply of parts that didn't work or didnt fit I seem to be accumulating.Image
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

I would think that they would be able to tell you.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

BADs Crew wrote:I would think that they would be able to tell you.
Unfortunately you guys probably know way more about this than anyone else.

- ThunderII KE7CSK