Thermostats

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Thermostats

Post by SONOMA915 »

Does anyone have the part number for a Jet thermostat or a PP3 thermostat for an 04 GMC Sonoma, 4.3L? I have been to both manufacturers sites and have come up with zip. :x Did a search and still nothing. Thanks. :o
[size=75]2004 GMC Sonoma ZR5 (Sold)
2005 Toyota Tacoma[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

This is listed for a 2002 but, this 180 degree Jet will work Summit part #JET-10171 Summit
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

Thanks F9K9, I'll be ordering one on Monday.
[size=75]2004 GMC Sonoma ZR5 (Sold)
2005 Toyota Tacoma[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

SONOMA915 wrote:Thanks F9K9, I'll be ordering one on Monday.
Double check me on the part number. I may have screwed up but, they do have them :D
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

might find it cheaper on ebay
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

isnt it on the modification page? with part number?
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

a2b wrote:isnt it on the modification page? with part number?
I think Brule just referred to a thermostat from Jet Performance. I can't navigate on the home page now to recheck it.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Just FYI just installed my PPIII the other day and the instructions state that for the 4.3l they recommend the factory 190 thermostat. Not sure why unless lots of people have been getting SES light with 180 stat.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

04crewvt wrote:Just FYI just installed my PPIII the other day and the instructions state that for the 4.3l they recommend the factory 190 thermostat. Not sure why unless lots of people have been getting SES light with 180 stat.
Am familiar with that problem. The IAT needs to be relocated as close to the actual air intake as possible. :D
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

03 HPP III & 160 thermo
HenryJ wrote:I don't know for sure about the 2003 HPPIII , but there is no option for a colder stat in the 2001 model.

The 180* stat worked for me until I went to the larger radiator, so it is "borderline"

The PCM uses the IAT (Idle Air Temp) sensor readings in conjunction with the ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) sensor to determine how long it should take to reach the temperature threashold of 173*.

Earlier HPP's lower the threashold to allow use of the 160* stat.

Jet performance sells a 180* stat.

Summary: I'd wait on the HPPIII before ordering a stat, but if you really want one , you can order the Jet 180* #10171 for about $20
As I understand it the "story" is that no signifigant gains were seen from adding a colder stat. It may be due to maintaining emissions standards though.

I did the cooler stat to maintain a cooler running engine, primarily.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

04crewvt wrote:Just FYI just installed my PPIII the other day and the instructions state that for the 4.3l they recommend the factory 190 thermostat. Not sure why unless lots of people have been getting SES light with 180 stat.
The 180* t-stat will work fine, it's the 160* t-stat that will turn on the SES light because the computer senses that the engine never reached the minimum operating temperature.

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

killian96ss wrote:.........The 180* t-stat will work fine, it's the 160* t-stat that will turn on the SES light because the computer senses that the engine never reached the minimum operating temperature.

Steve

I must be the exception with the activation of a SES light. I relocated the IAT forward in my Airaid intake (apparently not far enough) and still threw a light at our first cold snap 2X in the same day. I will move it further towards the inlet when time and temperatures permit.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

With the stock radiator you may get away with the 180 stat. Some have been able to run one without setting the MIL.
I was not able until I moved the IAT sensor to buy some more time to reach the threashold. 173 degrees is pretty close to the 180 stat and if yours does not warm up fast enough you will set the MIL. It takes a week or so to light for me. I don't remember then number of failures it takes to set the lamp.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

killian96ss wrote:
The 180* t-stat will work fine, it's the 160* t-stat that will turn on the SES light because the computer senses that the engine never reached the minimum operating temperature.

Steve
Afraid that the climate difference from CA to VT would be plenty to cause problems. It's not unusual for my stock stat to take as much as 7 or 8 min to open when the temp is -32F. Changing the stat would just about guarantee a problem.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

04crewvt wrote:...Afraid that the climate difference from CA to VT would be plenty to cause problems...
Actually there should be no difference due to climate.
The PCM uses the readings from the ECT and IAT sensors in a formula to determine the amount of time needed to reach 173 degrees.
If the outside temperature is below zero it will know that it takes longer to reach the threshold, just as when it is 100 degrees outside it knows that it takes less time.
You run into problems when modifications are made, or if the system just doesn't naturally warm up quickly enough. Coolant, system condition, and maybe to some extent the weather conditions , play a part in this.
Seven degrees is cutting it close here. That is why some have had the MIL illuminate.

Keep in mind that a 180 stat is fully open at 180. It starts opening at that range and likely a little before. It may not maintain exactly 180 degrees.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

In another thread I did grouse about how slow my truck heats up. Of course I do still have the dex-crud in mine so that might be part of my problem. I think I will be better off safe than sorry in mine.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I have a 180* t-stat with the IAT sensor in the stock location. I have never had the SES light come on due to the t-stat. I have run it this way for 2 years now with no problems. My t-stat opens at 185* and maintains this temp really well except during 95*+ weather which causes it to run around 200*. The coldest weather I have driven the Crew in is 18*, and even then no SES light. I have the stock radiator and clutch fan and use a 50/50 mix of distilled water and regular green Prestone anifreeze with 1 bottle of Redline Watter Wetter. I really want to do the electric fan mod like HJ has. The electric fan will give you more hp, faster warm ups, better cooling with 2 fans, and the ability to turn the fans off for deep water crossings. :D

Steve