WAAG Sportster

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

WAAG Sportster

Post by Walt »

Hey everybody. I bought the WAAG Sportster push bar from latruck.com (See Conman's post on the Classified's forum).

I have 5 images posted here: .http://www.wacocog.net/amason/categories.php?cat_id=1

The mounting system is pretty nice. I'll post a full review soon.[/url]
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Make sure you get some pis up after you install it -- I wanna see how it looks with the BL.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I will.

Now that I have more time to type, I can give me impressions. I've already installed it, but I may take it off to and do it again because I haven't put on the u pper bumper braces.

The installation was very simple. And in my opinion, the push bar looks better mounted normally with my body lift. The top horizontal bar (with the WAAG logo on it), comes just above the top of my bumper, exactly how I wanted it. The mounting bars look like they hand too low, but they're actually about even with the botton of the plastic skid plate. They could definitely help decrease the damage your front skidplate would take in a bottom impact such as hitting a ditch or scraping the ground when driving fast over dunes or hills. It won't help with large rocks or things like that, but on inclines or nosing down when rock climbing.

The mounting bars seem to be VERY sturdy. I think they're 1/4" thick. The vertical bars on the push bar itself are also 1/4" thick. The top horizontal bar (where the lights mount) is probavbly 1/8" thick, and the bottom horizontal bar is probably 1/4" thick.

Overall very nice quality. This thing is tough enough to push another vehicle, as well as absorb the impact of a low-speed crash (5 mph).

It doesn't not interfere with your tow hooks at all.

The only downside is: The plates that bolt to the frame (that are attached to the mounting bars) have to be REALLY torqued down if you are not using the front bumper braces (you can't use them with a BL without some mods). I'm thinking about modifying the brackets to move the whole thing up two inches to be able to use the bumper braces to add even more stability. The main thing required here is to cut both of the 1/4" mounting plates in one place, then drill new holes.

All in all, more than worth $100 shipped!

Will post truck and install pics when I take them :-) :D

Now I just need to get some lights. I'm thinking about KC hilites 150 watt black 6" lights. Another suggestions?

Thanks!
--Walt
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

My ProComps were great until I crushed them into that Yukon's rear bumper.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

KC 150w Daylighters

Post by Walt »

I just ordered a pair of black 150 watt KC Daylighters to go on the sportster. Has anyone used these lights before? I know KC to be one of the best, and I opted for the higher wattage lights to get more light :D Any thoughts?
--Walt
doughboy

Post by doughboy »

i've been all over the internet trying to find a sportster and no luck. am i an idot or did everyone quit selling them?
[size=75]2002 s-10 crew,stock except for the coors light.[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I doubt you'll find the Sportster anymore.

Conman originally posted a link to it at latruck.com in the classifieds forum a while back. I checked it out and went through hoops to get it. Well, mostly just a long wait. After talking with Irma at WAAG one last time I learned that WAAG had discontinued the Sportster for the S-10/Envoy, and had sold all their remaining stock. They had to make me one since latruck.com had already placed the order. I guess you could say I snagged the last one.

EDIT: If I can ever find myself a black Warn Trans4mer/Winch Carrier for cheap, I'll sell you my Sportster cheap :D
--Walt
doughboy

Post by doughboy »

just my luck, find something i like and they stop making it. does anyone make a similar one?
[size=75]2002 s-10 crew,stock except for the coors light.[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

http://www.waag.com/closeouts/

Go there. Look under "Sportster", and find this part number: 17783

It's for a trailblazer, but it might work. Mine was originally for an Envoy, but fits perfectly. Try calling WAAG and see if they can tell you if it will fit another vehicle.

Unless they've changed something in recent years, the frame at the front of a CC and Envoy/Trailblazer should be the same width. Plus for $39, that's a steal!
--Walt