Always use Protection...no, not those!

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Always use Protection...no, not those!

Post by bwenny247 »

I've ditched the composite front skid plate and now I'm using this 3/16 steel one i had made up
It wraps under the sway bar and goes outside edge to outside edge of the frame wide

I also had this giant skid made out of 3/16 to protect everything from the rear crossmember to the torsion bar crossmember (trannypan, front drive shaft, catalytic converters, transfercase) it too goes outside edge to outside edge of the frame rails.

no more worrying about logs and rocks hidden beneath the water/mud when I'm bombing a hole! :D
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Reminds me of the belly pan on the first gen VW Beetles :lol:

You should be safe with that armor :thumb:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

very nice, thats a wicked angle on that front skid, arent you going to basically plow into everything as oposed to sliding over it?
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

things might start to get hot underneath I would keep an eye on things for awhile
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

How do you drain the oil or change the filter?
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

AZS10Crew wrote:How do you drain the oil or change the filter?
Change oil?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

f9k9 wrote:
AZS10Crew wrote:How do you drain the oil or change the filter?
Change oil?
I've heard some people do it. Not sure why... :shrug:
[size=75]Mark
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

:roflmao:

Am sure I have not a clue either since I just bought mobil 1 for Mrs Hoff's cavilier and iit went up too.
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

hmmm superlift made one for there kit, bds???????? no skid. but i still have to take the d@m thind off to change the oil.
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

jeggers wrote:Image

hmmm superlift made one for there kit, bds???????? no skid. but i still have to take the d@m thind off to change the oil.
That would get old REAL fast for me. :!:
[size=75]Mark
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

thanks for the feedback and to answer a couple questions

Bubaloo: yeah the front angle is steep but we re-used the factory skid plate mounts. we used the front most bolt and could of had it start angling an inch further forward but that's about all.

jeff: the big "belly" skid will be put on for when i go wheelin'...which i have less and less time to do, now that I'm back in school :( i have driven it for 40ish minutes on the freeway with the skid in place with no problems yet. but, i will definitely keep an eye on it.

AZ: changing the oil makes a little more work, but that front skid comes off pretty easy, just 4 bolts and i can crawl under the truck easy enough. it is a pain, jeggers knows what I'm talking about.

Jeggers: i don't think i would want a skid from BDS if they even made one. most likely it would be another shiny high maintenance item that i grow weary of polishing already. Michigan winters aren't nice to chrome. I plan on painting mine black once the cold galvanizing primer gets wets and permanently bonds with the steel.
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

I think bds does make a skid but its a pos that goes inside the sway bar. yours is better then that bweeny :)

Now you should cut something in it to give it that custom look ;)
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]