Moderator: F9K9

AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Color match painting flares and preparation

Post by AZS10Crew »

Split topic (easier to find when it's not buried in another thread)-HJ
HenryJ wrote:
AZS10Crew wrote:...you can paint that plastic no problem...if you have the PPG One Choice plastic prep system. [/product plug off] An added benefit of working at an automotive paint store.
Good to know, thanks.
I have been out of the painting long enough that the technology has gone way past my expertise I am sure.
I was concerned with fisheye since there are so many small areas to trap contaminants, and no way to properly prepare them for good adhesion.

If someone wants to paint them body color we will start a thread and you can fill us in on the specifics :thumb:
It's a pretty simple system...wash with special scotch brite sponge pre-soaked with cleaning solution, wipe with plastic adhesion wipe, then spray with adhesion promoter. After that just paint it. :)
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

i want to get mine painted body color but i dont even know where to get it done.

think a body shop would do it?
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

bubaloo1983 wrote:i want to get mine painted body color but i dont even know where to get it done.

think a body shop would do it?
Sure they would...and they'd charge an arm and a leg to do it. :)

You can do the whole thing yourself with rattle cans, as long as you don't want to clear coat them. E-mail me if you want detailed info. :wink:
[size=75]Mark
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

i would like deatiled info lol. but what about color matching?
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

bubaloo1983 wrote:i would like deatiled info lol. but what about color matching?
All you need is the color code off of your build sheet in the glove box. Go here to find the PPG dealer closest to you. Go there and ask for an SU4901 (plastic prep sponge), an SU4902 (plastic adhesion wipe), and an SUA4903 (advanced plastic bond aerosol). Then ask for a pint of color to match your vehicle in single stage (no gloss clear required) or if it doesn't come in that, then regular basecoat. If you had to get basecoat and want a sheen other than eggshell, get an aerosol clear (satin, gloss, or whatever you want). Then go home and apply everything per the directions you get with the product. It took me about 30 minutes to prep and put on 3 coats of paint on my flares before I installed them. it's that simple. :mrgreen:
[size=75]Mark