Bedliner coating on toolbox

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Bedliner coating on toolbox

Post by Walt »

Hey everybody, I've been thinking about spraying my toolbox with duplicolor (I think) spray on bedliner coating. My tool box is the only thing on my truck besides the bumper and grille bar that is chrome, or alteast not black or sandlewood. My toolbox is not a very heavy one, so there is some flex in the lid when it opens, would this cause cracking or chipping? Also, would the coating adhere to the toolbox surface very well?

Thanks!
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

I don't think the duplicolor would stick very well, those alluminium toolboxes are pretty ummmm, slick.

I would think it would peel off very easily unless you sanded it a lot but that would be hard to do on diamondplate.
[size=75][url=http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/coffeedrnkr15/]The Crazyblaze[/url]
d44/d60 5.13's, atlas 3.8
[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The problem with painting aluminum is that it oxidizes so easily. New aluminum is not bad and properly primed paint will adhere fairly well.

You are going to have a tough time getting the paint to stick on the used box though. For one it is going to be tough to get clean. Diamond plate has lots of irregular surface to retain silicates and other contamination.

Powder coating is the best option, but I am afraid that it may exceed the cost of a new box that is already black.

If you really don't care much when the coating peels off, go for it! Clean it as best you can with a good wax and grease remover. Prime it with a primer that will self etch aluminum and is compatable with your chosen top coat, then coat it with what ever you want to.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Find you a good automotive paint shop nearby...preferably a PPG one (my loyalties are coming through :D )...and get a bottle of wax and grease remover, a bottle of aluminum prep solution (to etch the aluminum), then ask for a good single stage (one part, non-catalyzed) primer and see if they can put it into some spray cans for you. First clean it with the wax and grease remover, then etch the aluminum per the instructions on the prep solution, then prime it, then paint it. Easy as pie! 8) They could probably even get you a decent single stage automotive paint put into a spray can to either match your truck or whatever color you choose.

Go here to find the PPG distributor nearest to you. It will probably cost you about $50-$100 for everything, but that's probably cheaper than powder coat.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]