Anybody know about different types of mufflers?

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Jim

Anybody know about different types of mufflers?

Post by Jim »

I picked this one up on Ebay...looks to me it may fit the crew cab. Look at the construction & tell me if this sucker will be loud with the straight through design?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... AMEWA%3AIT

Last edited by Jim on Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

:drool: sweet :drool:
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Anybody know about different types of mufflers?

Post by HenryJ »

Jim wrote:...Look at the construction & tell me if this sucker will be loud with the staright through design?
If there is no packing or insulation then I would say "loud and tin" would be my guess.

The perforated pipe will help some, and actually quite a bit if they are louvers rather than perforations.

With the cat in place it won't ever get horribly, rattle your brains loud, but that may tend to resonate at highway speeds. Heck you could probably run a straight pipe if you wanted to. This has to be better than that.

The bouncing or changing direction of the sound waves is what helps to dissipate them. If you bounce them against each other that helps too. Those have a straight shot out and if there is no insulation to help quiet them I would fear that they would sound like a blown glass pack.

Running the pipes all the way out the back will help. That way you will only hear what bounces off the car behind you ;)

I have never run or been around this design, so who knows I could be way off. :oops:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jim

Post by Jim »

Just got this thing UPS, It's solid feeling, heavy & goes thud when you flick it. It seems to be filled with stainless steel wool.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Jim wrote:... It seems to be filled with stainless steel wool.
Woo, Might sound really good :D

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jim

Post by Jim »

HenryJ wrote:
My son & I had a hollering contest no matter how loud we yelled into it a whisper came out the other end.
Best Regards, Jim
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

bonding between father and son :)
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

HenryJ wrote:
He has another one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 62776&rd=1
Along with a bunch of SLP stuff.
Best Regards, Jim
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

It looks like a MagnaFlow, but their cases are usually stamped with their logo. The straight through design looks a lot like theirs though.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

I just installed one of these on my CC. Anybody have any experience with them? I don't think I have any performance gains, and the truck isn't much louder. Yet the muffler shop told me it would open things up a lot more than stock. I guess we'll see.
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Yea, I have a V-force muffler on mine and I love it. I'm not sure if it's the same muffler as you got or not, but I have no complaints what-so-ever. The idle sound sounds like a V8 and at wide open, it sounds very aggressive. Cruising at 2000rpm on the freeway, you can barely notice it.

What shop did you go to to get it put on? Did you just install the muffler or did you do an entire catback exhaust. I have new larger pipes all out the back with 3" chrome tips. The exhaust tips help create sound as well. If you just replaced the muffler with the old one, I would suggest getting new custom bent pipes out the back to widen it up some. I didn't notice too much of a change when I did mine, but the guys at Rainbow Muffler said that it would be a 5 to 10hp increase with the whole system.

[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

BobbleSmitty wrote:Yea, I have a V-force muffler on mine and I love it. I'm not sure if it's the same muffler as you got or not, but I have no complaints what-so-ever. The idle sound sounds like a V8 and at wide open, it sounds very aggressive. Cruising at 2000rpm on the freeway, you can barely notice it.

What shop did you go to to get it put on? Did you just install the muffler or did you do an entire catback exhaust. I have new larger pipes all out the back with 3" chrome tips. The exhaust tips help create sound as well. If you just replaced the muffler with the old one, I would suggest getting new custom bent pipes out the back to widen it up some. I didn't notice too much of a change when I did mine, but the guys at Rainbow Muffler said that it would be a 5 to 10hp increase with the whole system.
I had a small shop called Muffler Man do mine. I did the muffler only. Single exhaust. They told me there that the straight tail pipe wouldn't make much of a difference. And for an additional $60, I wasn't going to argue. Now I'm thinking I'd like to try it. Or maybe just a new tip?
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Our stock exhaust pipes are smaller in diameter than the ones that I had custom bent and installed. You need to open up the back to allow more air flow (Same as doing it under the hood...maybe cutting an opening in the airbox)

There's a ton of options for the exhaust tips. The exhaust travelling through the different sizes and shapes of exhaust tips create much different sounds. To get a somewhat noticable difference in performance and sound, I would recommend losing the stock pipes.
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

not only are the stock pipes smaller there not mandral bent .
with the mandral bend the air flows smoother.
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

I had the chance to do some cruisin' around today and I must say that I do notice a slight difference in performance. I also went & bought a new 4" tip with baffles. I can hear the difference now.

When I get another 60 bucks to "INVEST" in my CC, I wanna get the custom pipe. I tried to tell my wife, "Honey! All the other crew cab owners are doing it!!!!" But for some reason that line didn't work! :lol: She said, "If all the other crew cab owners told you to jump off a bridge, would you do that too?" To which I promptly responded, "NOT AGAIN!" :shock: :lol:
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Pauleo wrote:I tried to tell my wife, "Honey! All the other crew cab owners are doing it!!!!" But for some reason that line didn't work! :lol: She said, "If all the other crew cab owners told you to jump off a bridge, would you do that too?" To which I promptly responded, "NOT AGAIN!" :shock: :lol:
Yeah, that one never works on my wife either! In fact that bit about jumping off a bridge (cliff or whatever) never works because she replies with "Go ahead! I have good insurance on you!" :shock:

I ordered the Magnaflow cat back for mine the other day, using my "secret cash stash" and am trying to figure out how to explain the difference in sound that she may notice. "Honest Honey! We must have hit a rock on that last trail ride and it punched a hole in the muffler!" :roll:
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Rusty wrote:
Pauleo wrote:I tried to tell my wife, "Honey! All the other crew cab owners are doing it!!!!" But for some reason that line didn't work! :lol: She said, "If all the other crew cab owners told you to jump off a bridge, would you do that too?" To which I promptly responded, "NOT AGAIN!" :shock: :lol:
Yeah, that one never works on my wife either! In fact that bit about jumping off a bridge (cliff or whatever) never works because she replies with "Go ahead! I have good insurance on you!" :shock:

I ordered the Magnaflow cat back for mine the other day, using my "secret cash stash" and am trying to figure out how to explain the difference in sound that she may notice. "Honest Honey! We must have hit a rock on that last trail ride and it punched a hole in the muffler!" :roll:
Uh Oh...How The H*ll Am I Gonna Explain The Cowl Induction Hood That Suddenly Appears On My Crew :?:

Rusty, Let Me Know How That Magnaflow Goes, I've Been Looking At A Stainless Cat-Back System.
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I'm just hoping that it does something to improve gas mileage so I can use that as a "defense" when she finally does find out. :lol: Like I said in another post somewhere, I really hated that "clogged vacuum cleaner sound" I got at even half throttle when I had the windows down. After seeing pics of the inside of the stock muffler somewhere on this site, I figure it's gotta help somehow.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Well, i just finished putting my Magnaflow cat back on and test driving it. It does seem to run a bit better. I followed the instructions and disconnected the battery for a few hours to reset the computer so it will "re-learn" the new setup so it may get better, or not, we'll see. Sure sounds better though! Nice low rumble but very mellow. Roll up the windows and you can hardly hear it but stomp the throttle and it has a nice "growl" to it. I like! :D