self supercharging

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

self supercharging

Post by camelott112 »

just curious about how difficult installing a supercharger is bc in alaska you cant find a shop that will do it... :x
KCustom
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Supercharger...

Post by KCustom »

It took me about 8 hours to install mine....If I had to do it over again I probably would not go with the Powerdyne unit. They advertised that it was a bolt on and needed no additional parts or programing to work great and that was absolutly not the case and there techinicl support is very little help. There are other brands that I have seen great review on that are for our trucks and they have little or no problems. As far as the install goes, if you have a good set of tools and understand the mechanicals of the truck you should have no problem....I would very highly recomend FASTCHIP to do the PCM edit if you put one on your truck. the guys there are the greatest!!!!!!!
2003 Sonoma Crew Cab, Superlift 6", PA 2" BL, KMC XD Enduros, BF Goodrich 315-70-17s, Powerdyne SC, JBA wires,headers and catback, CAI, Crossdrilled & Slotted rotors, Prerunner bar W/ fogs, bed mount spare, Custom rear buckets...
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

Kcustom.... what kind of problems did you run into with the install? I ran a paxton on my 87 z . I had built a 383 with mini ram intake and accel digital fuel injection set up.
KCustom
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

problems

Post by KCustom »

All the problems that I had were software and fuel presure related...The mechanicals were fine. powerdyne told me that I did not need an aux. fuel pump and I did and they told me that I would not have to reprogram the computer....It is absolutly necessary to reprogram the computer to set new values for the MAF,Map, open the pulse width on the injectors, retard timing and so on. If not you will constantly pull DTC codes and run the engine lean....Lean is not good....All in all I spent an additional $300 on a pump and $650 on the reprogram and $20 on as new set of plugs...Cant run platnum with a SC, you will need copper tops gaped to 30thds instead of 60thds......
2003 Sonoma Crew Cab, Superlift 6", PA 2" BL, KMC XD Enduros, BF Goodrich 315-70-17s, Powerdyne SC, JBA wires,headers and catback, CAI, Crossdrilled & Slotted rotors, Prerunner bar W/ fogs, bed mount spare, Custom rear buckets...
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

:lol: yeah that kills me how you can run into problems like that with a "complete boltin kit with everything you need to do it that weekend" :roll: Yeah a guy I worked on drag cars with owned a shop and his friend had a dyno so he programmed my set up on the old camaro.
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

supercharging is easy -- go to sears, buy a 250 mph leaf blower for $49. Buy several really long extension cords, and a roll of duct tape.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Coda
Crew
Crew

Post by Coda »

So KC what supercharger would you personally recommend? And also how much hp did you get from it?
KCustom
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

HP....

Post by KCustom »

I went from 156 hp (rear wheel) to 224 at the rear wheels......If I had to do it over again I would go with the Vortech set up........
snowsurfer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

install sc

Post by snowsurfer »

On my 03 it took about 4-5 hrs to install the Powerdyne. another 30 min. changing plugs, not real difficult. Just a tight fit I would say...
Power wise it's an increase, not break your neck speed but not bad..
I've since added MSD6BTM, wires, LS1 edit and exhaust which I believe helps alot...
The good side is that if anything goes wrong with Powerdyne you can still run your truck with out it without any major work...
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

you guys are on a whole nother level well when i do it im gonna have the instructions in one hand and a laptop in the other hopefull if i hit a kink i can find help here
snowsurfer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

SC install

Post by snowsurfer »

I noticed that you live in Alaska, we're in similar situations I guess, Not Alaska but I live in Hawaii. Parts and info in alot of these modifications are not that easy to come by in our area, I would assume the same for you.

Can't speak for the other SC's but the Powerdyne was not real difficult to install, directions suck but the unit is pretty much straight forward..
I'm sure you'll get more power on a Vortec than on a Powerdyne but ZI use my truck as a daily driver and not for racing. Just wanted alittle more power. I've owned and done 6 V8 swaps in S10's in the last 15 years so if you want power that's the way to go in my opinion.
The Powerdynes are a simple mild upgrade, fair priced, easy to install, no intercooler (1-2 hrs less install time) but of course no a neck breaker for power. I guess it all boils down to what you want your truck to do..
Powerdyne, exhaust, msd6btm, ls1 edit and you're pretty much set.
Good luck....
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

haha well i can turn a wrence and follow instructions and as long as its not directions to a place with my wife in the car im good at asking for help but as for the v8 swap i wouldnt even know where to start (although all the military comest to alaska and trash their sport cars....lots of big 8's in the salvage yards.....)
Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Brad »

Chech out www.ststurbo.com

Brad
Freinds don't let freinds crank torsion bars.
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: install sc

Post by kf6kmx »

snowsurfer wrote: The good side is that if anything goes wrong with Powerdyne you can still run your truck with out it without any major work...
Same thing with the ProCharger thats on the '90 mustang.. if the belt fails or whatever, just pull the hose at the inlet side of the MAF and it reverts to a regular (bust in the pro street mustangs case, MUCH SLOWER) engine... we've had a couple belt failures on it in the past when at a cruise night, etc.. You can actually drive it home with the blower connected and not turning, but its a little restricted and drives like it has a plugged aircleaner..
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]