Firmer Tranny Shifts

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Firmer Tranny Shifts

Post by Walt »

Hey everybody, another stupid question that has been answered somewhere else I'm sure. I'm looking for a way to firm up my transmission shifts a bit, but not to the point of breaking the tires loose. I don't want to mess with the B&M deal because of the pump, but I'm apprehensive about a tranny shifting kit. How hard are they to install? Is there anything easier? Also, it cannot in any way void my warranty.

Thanks!
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Does the Power Programmer involve upping the pressure in the Transmission? If so, I'll pass on it. Although I would like to drop my shift points by about 500 RPMs.

Thanks!
--Walt
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

wamason wrote:Does the Power Programmer involve upping the pressure in the Transmission? If so, I'll pass on it....
Why?
Is increasing the pressure to prevent slippage a bad thing?

What do you think the "Tow Mode" on the fullsize does?

Fear not the HPPIII, for it functions without savaging your transmission ;)

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I have a friend with a 99 S-10 X-Cab 2wd that used a B&M shift improver, and after putting about 80K miles on the truck with the B&M device in use, the started having major Tranny problems. I don't remember what exactly, but the B&M device was found to be the problem.
--Walt
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I had a B&M shift improver on another truck I had. With it set at level 1, it really didn't shift any harder then the HPP3 does. Level 2 was quite harsh though. If your friend drove around in Level 2 all the time then I could see how it would trash his tranny. Even B&M said not to use that level all the time.

Oh and Henry, it's "Thou shalt not feareth thy HPP3 for it doest not savage thy transmission". Man, don't you ever read Shakespeare? :lol: (too bad the spellcheck doesn't work on that cause I probably got it wrong too)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

wamason wrote:I have a friend with a 99 S-10 X-Cab 2wd that used a B&M shift improver, and after putting about 80K miles on the truck with the B&M device in use, the started having major Tranny problems. I don't remember what exactly, but the B&M device was found to be the problem.

I don't have any personal experience with the B&M shift improver, but like anything if not used as directed it may indeed shorten the normal service life.
There is no way of telling if there were other circumstances that contributed to his problems.
I personally do not believe that a little increase on transmission pressure is a bad thing for our stock 4L60E. However, the pressure can be raised to the point of creating problems, in continual use, of that I'm sure.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

The thing with the B&M as far as I know is that it's either at no extra pressure, or it bumps the transmission to max pressure. And max pressure on low throttle takeoffs for 80K miles is a bad thing. The HPPIII is better because it's not at max pressure all the time...and it's adjustable so you don't have to set it at max firmness if you don't want to.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Well, that does make me feel a little better about it....now to find the $300 bucks.....I guess I could sell something....but what? This will take a little more thought. Thanks for the help!!
--Walt