dumb question, shock mounting position

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

ejxjohnson
Regular
Regular

dumb question, shock mounting position

Post by ejxjohnson »

this is a dumb question, but im gonna install my new shcoks soon (rancho 5000) and they didnt come with nay sort of instructions.....and i was reading on the other post that your suppsoed to install the frotn shocks upside down? but i cant find it anywhere else saying you have to install them that way.

so my question is which way do i install them?

Edited title-HJ
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Actually the Bilstein HD rear shocks are installed with the reservoir up (upside down)

I would think most shocks are mounted with the reservoir down unless otherwise specified.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I run Rancho RSX's and yes the front shock does mount upside down. I do not think there is enough room to mount them the other way round and if I recall they have a different mount on the one end than the other which will make it easy to install the correct way. I would run out and double check for you but it is currently -25 with wind chill outside :shock:
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

My RS5000's in the rear install with the reservoir down, they can only be installed one way.

The fronts on the other hand can physically be installed either way. I do believe that the recomended way is to have the reservoir up, but if you do that the shock boot will not clear the CV and you will have to run without one. Or, you could just do what I did and intall it with the boot and with the reservoir down.
[size=75][b]1991 GMC Sonoma Extended Cb[/b] - 4.3L Automatic, 2" BL, 31" BFG's.
[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
[b]1999 Oldsmobile Bravada[/b] - Wifes truck, all stock.[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Snoman002 wrote:My RS5000's in the rear install with the reservoir down, they can only be installed one way.

The fronts on the other hand can physically be installed either way. I do believe that the recomended way is to have the reservoir up, but if you do that the shock boot will not clear the CV and you will have to run without one. Or, you could just do what I did and intall it with the boot and with the reservoir down.
Quoted for truth :thumb:
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

Typical shock installation outside of the automotive world is reservoir UP. This keeps the dampening fluid near the seal, and keeps that seal lubricated. If that seal dries out you will have a leakage problem. I've designed 5-10 products in the last few years with gas/oil assisted, and dampened shocks. EVERY occasion that the reservoir was down I had a leak issue.

With that said, follow the MFG recommendations, and if in doubt put it reservoir up.
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Rancho shocks are installed reservoir down on the front and rear. :wink:

Steve