31" Or 32" Tires......Can I Get Some Opinions Plea

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

31" Or 32" Tires......Can I Get Some Opinions Plea

Post by gocntry »

My Game Plan For The Crew Is A 6" Superlift Suspension Lift, I Do NOT Want To Do A Body Lift With It. I Am Going To Do The Realift Torsion Bar Relocators With It. As Far As Tire Size Goes I Have The 3.73 Gears And Was Thinking 265/75R16 (32 x 10.50) And Going With The 4.10 Gears BUT Is An Xtra Inch Worth The LOTS Of Extra Money?? I'm Now Thinking Stay With The 3.73 And Go With A Set Of 31 x 10.50/15 Tires Instead. What Do You Guys Think??
With The 32" Tires There Is A Lot Of Added Expense That Seems To Go Along With Them Along With Some (Maybe) Rubbing Problems Also So I'm Thinking Stay With The 31" But Will They Look Big Enough With The SL??
Man I'm So Confused :crazy:

Thanks For Any Help And Opinions.......
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

IMO - go with the 31's.

I doubt that for serious off-roading that the 32's are going to get you any further down the trail, but that extra inch in diameter is going to hit you in the wallet when it comes time to hit the fuelpump, and try to drive it at 75 on the highway with cruisecontrol.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

go with the 31's. 32's would only work on stock wheel maybe. i went camping over the weekend and with the gear and tent camper i was only gettine about 9mpg. :twisted:
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd
tzdevill

Post by tzdevill »

i love my 31's. my next set of tires will be 30's ( only because i work at a junk yard and get a damn good deal on a complete set) but i want and will have 31's as much as possible.

and i still get normal gas mileage!!!!!
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

i say stick with 31's, just my humble opinion.

you won't have clearence issues
your 3.73 gear will drive them fine
you'll have a wider choice of rim options because you can have basiclly have any backspacing.
a slight advantage in gas MPG in 31's over 32's
a narrower stance will yield less wear and tear on the front end as well.
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Quickbiker's CC has the 5"TM lift and 31's and looks good. The 1" difference between the 5" TM and 6" SL isn't going to be that noticeable. I think it'll look fine with the 31's.
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Don't give me sh*t Jeggers but another reason to post a picture.

6" Superlift with 31x10.5's my rims have 3 3/4 inch backspacing. Superlift suggested running 33's with, I believe, 4 1/4 back spacing, but I don't see how that would work. I had to trim 3/4 inch off of the rear of my front fender because it was rubbing while turning and going over dips. It didn't tear up the tires or anything, you could just hear it rub and then see tire marks on the inside of the fender, but I also have the Bilstein shocks which maybe aren't as stiff as the Superlift shocks, but it makes for a good ride. IMO go with 31's. Also I have 3.42 gears you have 3.73's you will be sitting nice with 31's no need for gear change.

Steve
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

nice truck too :D
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

depends with tire you go with. some 32's are 31's....its not that big of a deal. width is what you need to pay attention to.
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
apcrews10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by apcrews10 »

What about a 31x10.50 on a 16" rim?
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Like a2b said - might depend on the manufacturer - although generally I havent seen 31's offered in a 16" rim size - you could go to a 265/70/16 and have a tire that is almost the exact same diameter and width as a 31x10.50x15 but on a 16" rim.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

If you don't mind the extra money, then it all depends on the look you want.

I kinda like Quickbikers truck on 31's. It reminds me of a stock Dodge RAM 4x4 (the 1999-2001 models) that sit very high from the factory. But then again, Steve's truck with offset wheels looks very good as well.

And of course, Bubaloo and KCustom's rides look sweet as well. I know I'm not helping :lol: :lol: Guess it all depends on the look you want :D
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

I heard a rumor of an s-10 on 37s....with 3.73 gears...yeah...do that.....(I think Justin said he saw a truck like this). It had a 3" BL modded to work (now modding a crucial part like the body mounts really doesn't sound "safe" to me) with the 6" SL, and some huge shackles and a major t-bar crank (can we say alignment from hell). But I bet it looks awesome. What size tires did Bad have on his SFA?
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Thanks For All The Opinions.....Looks Like My Best Bet Is The 31x10.50/15's. Goal Is To Be Lifted By The End Of July / Beginning Of August.....As Long As The Game Plan Goes Smoothly...And The Wife Doesn't Get Too :x.................... :lol: :lol:
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

If you use stock rims (I did), you will need spacers up front and back to avoid frame rub. I used 1.25" in front and 2.25" in rear. Good luck!

My trucks pretty much sit'n till I get funds together for SFA. I beat my front up to much and am so tired of IFS. It'll do great though if you don't wheel like me. :lol:
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

quickbiker wrote:If you use stock rims (I did), you will need spacers up front and back to avoid frame rub. I used 1.25" in front and 2.25" in rear. Good luck!

My trucks pretty much sit'n till I get funds together for SFA. I beat my front up to much and am so tired of IFS. It'll do great though if you don't wheel like me. :lol:
paul, if you drive out here. i will do the sfa with you in my garage or kitchen, depending on how you look at it :lol:

we could knock it out in a week. throw on some 37's and go run the hammers! (one of the most difficult trail collections in america)
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Hobie, you got PM
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Quickbiker wrote:If you use stock rims (I did), you will need spacers up front and back to avoid frame rub. I used 1.25" in front and 2.25" in rear. Good luck!
I Was Gonna Get New Rims That Have A 4.5" BackSpacing And Run My 1.25" Spacers In The Rear So That Should Be About The Same.
Quickbiker wrote:It'll do great though if you don't wheel like me.
I Was Hoping To Be Able To Do About 50% Of What You Do :lol:
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

quickbiker wrote:I beat my front up to much and am so tired of IFS.
Hmmm, and I was about to ask if you want to sell the front diff....
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Rusty wrote:
quickbiker wrote:I beat my front up to much and am so tired of IFS.
Hmmm, and I was about to ask if you want to sell the front diff....
I should re-word that. I beat up the lower a-arms and bent the TM lift stuff. The front diff, cv shafts and ball joints are in excellent shape.
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

steve wrote:Don't give me sh*t Jeggers but another reason to post a picture.

Ha ha ha ha lol
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd