Tire question after suspension lift

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Tire question after suspension lift

Post by SomeCrew »

Ok. I want to put 35" baja claws radials on my truck after I do the 6" suspension lift, and I already have the 2" body lift. Looking at KCustom's truck, he had a total of 8 inches lift like I will and people are telling me that the tires he has are 35's

However, this picture of Warnoffroad's old setup:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sra ... 9a1052.jpg

He claims that this is 12 inch suspension lift and 35" tires, and they look like them tires are sitting close.

Can anyone explain this to me? Is someone wrong or lying here, and most important, should I get 35" tires (And I will probably hardly EVER offroad this when it gets lifted with tires, gonna be a show truck)
[size=59][color=red]| '03 CC | WESTIN SPORTSMEN BRUSH GUARD | KC DAYLIGHTERS | WESTIN NERF BARS | WESTIN SPORTSMEN TAILLIGHT GUARDS | 6" SUPERLIFT SL |2" PA BL | 35" THORNBIRDS ON 15" AMERICAN RACING WHEELS |[/color][/size]
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

you will not be able to run 35s with that lift without cuttying your fenders

i am running 35s with about 8 inches of lift and it took some trimming 8)

that fender was moved 1.5 inches a side
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]
SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SomeCrew »

Just the front? Or front and rear?
[size=59][color=red]| '03 CC | WESTIN SPORTSMEN BRUSH GUARD | KC DAYLIGHTERS | WESTIN NERF BARS | WESTIN SPORTSMEN TAILLIGHT GUARDS | 6" SUPERLIFT SL |2" PA BL | 35" THORNBIRDS ON 15" AMERICAN RACING WHEELS |[/color][/size]
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

the rear is ok with minor offroading or none at all. just run bigger shackle in the bak for some extra lift. but my back is cut aswell and it can stuff the 35 np. :D

35 is a big tire for these trucks and once you get it on there even with cutting you will see how cloise it comes :roll:

good luck :)
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SomeCrew »

Think a 1.5 inch shackle in the rear will do it?

If so, how much will you charge for them?
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

bubaloo how wide are your 35's and how much backspacing/spacers did you use?
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

yeah the shackles im running are about 3.5 inches the ones i make are about 2. i charge 65 dollars for them plus 10 bucks to ship. they come in 1/4 inch steel with black powder coating.

my tires are 12.50s and i have no idea what back spcing my rims are. they are atlas american racing rims so you could always check AR website for all the details :)

SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SomeCrew »

Are you using any kind of spacers on the wheels?

If I trim my front fenders, will I have to trim the front and the back of them? or just the back of them?

Pretty decent price on them shackles. I will let you know in a PM some time this week or next week when I order them...
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

this is the wheels hes running
Part No. Size Offset Backside Bolt Circle

660-5861 15x8 -19 3 3/4 5-4 3/4

the 3 3/4 backspacing isnt helping with the rubbing, with 5-6 backspacing I would think you will get less rubbing
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SomeCrew »

Alright, well I will try without cutting first because I am gonna be using 5" backspacing.

I can always cut later if there is a problem.
SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SomeCrew »

OK, speaking of rims, does anyone know of a good rim to buy for cheap and where?

I am looking for a 15x10 rim with 5" of backspacing.

Any suggestions?
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

yeah i am running a 1.25 inch spacer up there too. so i think that with more offset you will be just like me and get rub only offroadin hard.

and yeah just let me know about the shackles. in terms of cutting its mostly the back of the front fender

jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

somecrew I got my wheels from these guys they are located colse to Erie PA so I think I got them in 2 days and they were cheaper then I could find anywhere elseWHEELS CHEAP
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I kinda like these
SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SomeCrew »

They look like Ford wheels! :lol: :lol: :lol:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I think your proifile (or my memory) says you are under thirty but, looking that those wheels (which I like) you have suddenly become "YOUR FATHER" :lol:

Looks like the wheels we ran a "couple" of years ago :D
Last edited by F9K9 on Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

yeah im more into the old style wheels :)
SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SomeCrew »

I personally like these, but they don't have the proper back-spacing I am looking for...

http://images.andale.com/f2/106/105/794 ... _BLACK.jpg
SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SomeCrew »

OK, just talked to who we like to call "Mr. Chevy." He informed me that I will not need cutting on my fenders if the following is done:

-2" BL
-6" SL
- Shackles from Bubaloo
- TB crank

He said as long as I have all that, I will be just fine with 35"s with rims that have 5" backspacing, with no fender cutting as long as I do not do any serious off-roading. YAY!

He also suggested doing 1.25" spacers in the rear, just for cosmetic purposes.
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

35X12.50's might/probably will rub on your frame when you turn with 5 inches of backspacing . i can't say for sure though

just something else to keep in mind
SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SomeCrew »

As long as it rubs the frame, and not the fender, I will not care all that much.
If I were to bring it out more with like 3 inches of backspacing or so, I run the risk of rubbing the fenders, that can cause bad things for the tires/the truck. At least this is what my buddy Ryan "Mr. Chevy" says.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

With tires that tall and wide you are going to have rubbing issues. Have you forgotten that the front wheel well is only 31" wide?
As for rubbing the frame 31x10.5's rub with 6" rear spacing.
I am sure that 31x12.5's would rub the same with only 5" rear spacing. Now add the extra diameter of a 35" tire and I can see issues.

None of this even addresses the alignment, balljoint, and wheel bearing "issues".

I am not an advocate of 35" tires on the S-10's IFS, and have not made any of the modifications in question. So take it or leave it, but If I wanted to run tires of that size I would go SFA, or the bigger 8.5" fullsize IFS. I sitll think that the ford 9" and Porche axles would be awesome 8) $$$$$$ though :(
Last edited by HenryJ on Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SomeCrew »

OK, for me to better understand exactly what your talking about, I needt o knoe what IFS and SFA means.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

SomeCrew wrote:OK, for me to better understand exactly what your talking about, I needt o knoe what IFS and SFA means.
IFS= Independent Front Suspension

SFA= Solid Front Axle

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SomeCrew »

Well what do you think about it all if the fenders are cut? Think that will work? Or still with the ball-joint and wheel-bearing issues.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Yep.

Do you own another daily driver?
If you go the way that you are thinking here, it will become less convenient and affordable as a daily driven vehicle.
You may want to think about getting another vehicle to mod the heck out of , or one to drive daily so that you can mod the stuff out of this one.

Another option is to scale back a bit and not exceed Superlifts recommended tire size. 33's are more than plenty, and I'd use the 33x10.5's or drop down to 32's.

Just my overcautious opinion though. You know what they say about opinions...everybody has one ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SomeCrew »

Well I wouldn't have posted if I didn't want your opinion HJ, so thanks.

I know superlift recomends 33" tires, but I will be adding 4" of extra lift with the BL and shackles. I will not be taking this truck offroading anymore, due to the fact that I want to show it. Yes it is my daily driver, however, I only drive 5 minutes to work and 5 minutes back, not much mileage. I will cut the fenders and get 3" backspacing on the wheels to be safe from rubbing anything, as for ball joints and wheel bearings, All my buddies work at Fox Chevrolet here in Maryland, so I get a pretty nifty discount on my parts...I will just have to stock up on them :lol: :lol: :lol:
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

SomeCrew wrote:I will not be taking this truck offroading anymore
SomeCrew Once You Do All That To Your Crew Your Just Getting To The Point Where You Can Keep Up With Quickbiker :lol:
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SomeCrew »

Bottom line is, after seeing KCustom's truck on 35"s, I am determined to do the same!
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

:idea: Any lift laws in Maryland????
Well here is what i think. When i say k's truck i wanted the same thing. So, i ordered the sl and pa bl then i did the math and i would be building a rolling violation not to mention i would be relaceing ball joint bearings and cv boots. So i went with 32" on a cragar 397 black steel wheel 15x8, it has 4" bs. As i posted before i have lifted the rear and its high even with the 28" tire still on :shock: , not to mention looks very narrow. Go wider man :thumb: .

I also looked up that wheel in a 15x10 and it has 4" bs, they are cheep wheels but the look great with the round holes.

just a thought somecrew, would not want to see you build something you will not want to drive then have to sell it.
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd
SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SomeCrew »

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

I am having my buddies at Fox Chevy stockpile me CV Boots and ball joints and stuff, so I am OK there.

As with the lift law, Maryland says you can have a max of 31" from the lowest part of your body. I think I will be fine in that department.
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

i need to keep my front at 27 and rear at 29 . i did not raise the bunnper with bl so the rear is not an issue.
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd
SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SomeCrew »

That sucks man, what state do you live in?