all cranked up...... now new boots?

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

ZIGGY K
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

all cranked up...... now new boots?

Post by ZIGGY K »

did the 1.5" tbar crank and went for an allignment. mechanic assured me that the tbar crank would not ware cv joint , but the boots would tear :x was told to replace old boots with a more heavy duty one. just wondering if anyone has replaced boots , were to get them, and if there was some that were better than others ?
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

never replaced the boots...dont listen to mechanics :wink: they dont know stuff :lol:

i know paul tore one of his finally...

personally, every oil change, i cleaned them with silicone and wiped all the dirt and stuff out of the cracks....the boots will dry out and the dirt will tear into them....i would jack the front end up and then rotate the tire with my finger between each boot crevice, at the wheel and at the diff....your boots will last forever that way :wink:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

I personally think 1.5 inch of t-bar crank is to much, but that is just my opinion.
I don't believe that there is some generic "heavy duty" CV boot that you could get. I may be wrong on this.
I would lower the t-bars a bit or just wait for a boot to rip. Either way, check the boots often. If a boot rips, pops off and you catch it quick enough, you can usually save the joint by replacing the boot.

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

The problem is that the origional boots that chevy put on are hard and plasticky to make them last longer. As soon as i put on my 2" superlift both inside boots came off.

I couldnt get them to stay on so I went and bought replacement complete shafts for both sides (60 bucks each after core) and the new ones are more rubbery and flex more. I have never had a problem with the new ones :D
[size=75][url=http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/coffeedrnkr15/]The Crazyblaze[/url]
d44/d60 5.13's, atlas 3.8
[/size]
ZIGGY K
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ZIGGY K »

maybe i'll take them down to an inch...less ware on the boot
ZIGGY K
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ZIGGY K »

is it the inside or outside boot that has a greater chance of tearing ?
coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

On my car it was the inside boot on both cv joints they just popped off the very innermost seal.

If you want to trailmaster and maybe superlift have made available replacement rubber boots, but you have to take both cv's out and take them apart then slide the new boot on (unless they are split cv boots :shock: :shock: :shock: i hope not but im not sure) you can usually buy them from any offroad store that sells the s10 lifts
[size=75][url=http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/coffeedrnkr15/]The Crazyblaze[/url]
d44/d60 5.13's, atlas 3.8
[/size]