Rims with backspacing

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

mouse1376
Regular
Regular

Rims with backspacing

Post by mouse1376 »

I have searched other posts in regards to backspacing. I havn't done any mods yet. I was thinking about buy some rims instead of the spacers. From what i understand the stock rims are about 6inchs of BS. (please correct me if i am wrong) Is it possible to fit 3 3/4 inch bs rims on with every thing being stock (this should offset the wheels buy 2 1/4 over stock is that correct?)? will this also work if i were to run 30/9.5's as well? The wheels i was looking at are Uswheels from Summit racing 15 in. x 8 in., 5 x 4 3/4 in. bolt circle, 3 3/4 in. backspacing, 84 series, black painted, 10-hole wheel. Anyone know if these will fit?

Thanks in advance
[/list]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Well...if you're talking a 15x8 with 3.75" BS, that means that the outside edge of the wheel will be 3.25" further out than the stock rims (15x7 with 6" BS). Even with 30" tires, those will rub pretty good on the back of the wheel well when turning and hitting a bump. I have 15x7 with 4.5" BS with 30x9.5's on mine and it rubbed the wheel well pretty good when turning and flexing...that's with a t-bar crank and 2" BL also. I had to bend up about 3" at the bottom of the wheel well to get them to clear. With the specs you're listing, I'd bet you'll run into rubbing issues with the fender as well as the wheel well.

I wouldn't recommend anything less than 4.5" BS with a 15x7...15x8 at the max. 30x9.5's will look better on 7" width rims anyway.

If you want to know for sure, just crank the wheels and measure 3" out from hte edge of the tire, then go straight up from there. If there's wheel well or fender less than 3-4 inches above it, you'll rub.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
mouse1376
Regular
Regular

Post by mouse1376 »

What about running 15x7's with 4.5 bs on the front and 3.75 on the rear? Is it not recommended to do this? this would also solve the narrower rear end problem as well?
Crew02
Crew
Crew

Post by Crew02 »

I would not advise doing that, Unless you want to remount your tires every time you rotate them. :D
[size=75]2002 Crewcab - Best Mod XM Radio, 2" Body Lift, 30 X 9.5 BFG Long Trail, Factory Locker, T-Bar Crank , Rear Shackles. ORI PreRunner Bar, Hella 500 Lights.
1990 Jeep Wrangler, ARB lockers front/Rear, Winches Front/rear,4" suspension Lift, 2" body lift, 35" BFG Mud TA's, Geared 4:56.
Amateur Radio Operator KC4-IKR[/size]
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

AZ, did you do some body whacking recently, too?
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Yeah...on the back of my wheel wells. Flexing and turning with the new rims rubbed on the back of the wheel well. Nothing a good old BFH can't fix though. :mrgreen:
[size=75]Mark
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

AZS10Crew wrote:Yeah...on the back of my wheel wells. Flexing and turning with the new rims rubbed on the back of the wheel well. Nothing a good old BFH can't fix though. :mrgreen:
Are they in your pics?
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Are what in my pics? The new wheels? Yes. Pics of my bodywork? No. :)
[size=75]Mark