The Mod Trip

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

melloyellow
Webhost
Webhost

The Mod Trip

Post by melloyellow »

Well it looks like most stuff is set and ready to go. I am packing up tonight. I will be leaving here in Lemoore, CA about 7 - 8am. First stop Sacramento for the lift kit. After that it will be onward to HenryJ's place. 760 miles or 3 tanks of gas in my truck. I am going to document it all. I am charging up the digital camera batteries as I type this. So stay tuned for more info on all this. Oh and thanks to all those involved. :D

MikeH I still haven't received the pdf. :wink:
[size=75]2003 Yellow S10 Crew Cab ZR5: SuperLiner, PA192 Lift, 3 Leaf Kit, Bilsten Shocks, Yokohama GeoLander A/T + II, ARE IIsi Tonneau Cover with Wing[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Travel safe, I'll expect a call around 5pm.

I'm going on a cache/trail run , and plan to be back in cell phone range by that time.

If I don't hear from you, I'll try calling your cell# , though you may be in "no cell" lands too by then ;)

One way or another we'll try to get in touch Sunday night.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: The Mod Trip

Post by Mike H. »

melloyellow wrote:MikeH I still haven't received the pdf. :wink:
Sorry for the delay. I just sent it at 8:20am my time, so maybe you'll get it in time. I was thinking the big trip was next weekend for some reason.

The file is to big for my Yahoo account, and the "Mikeh3235" Roadrunner account address is an alias to my real Roadrunner address, which contains my full last name. I don't broadcast that one on the net. But I can't seem to get the Outlook to automatically check the alias. GOOD LUCK.

HenryJ, if this goes well, you could hire a travel agent and set up "Crew Cab Mod Vacations" for sale, maybe 3 packages with increasing levels of modification, starting with the BL, and ending with the "Warnoffroad" Special Edition. :lol: Maybe throw in tickets to Disney.
Last edited by Mike H. on Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75][url=http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst?.dir=/&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst%3f%26.dir=/2002%2bGMC%2bCrew%2bCab-Spacers%26.src=ph%26.view=l&.view=l]Yahoo Photo Pages[/url]
(previous) 2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab
(now) 2004 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 Crew Cab[/size]
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: The Mod Trip

Post by NTXCrew »

Mike H. wrote:
melloyellow wrote:MikeH I still haven't received the pdf. :wink:
Sorry for the delay. I just sent it at 8:20am my time, so maybe you'll get it in time. I was thinking the big trip was next weekend for some reason.

The file is to big for my Yahoo account, and the "Mikeh3235" Roadrunner account address is an alias to my real Roadrunner address, which contains my full last name. I don't broadcast that one on the net. But I can't seem to get the Outlook to automatically check the alias. GOOD LUCK.

HenryJ, if this goes well, you could hire a travel agent and set up "Crew Cab Mod Vacations" for sale, maybe 3 packages with increasing levels of modification, starting with the BL, and ending with the "Warnoffroad" Special Edition. :lol: Maybe through in tickets to Disney.

Sign me up!!!
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
melloyellow
Webhost
Webhost

Post by melloyellow »

Well I made it in one piece. I am at the Best Western here and they have high speed internet access. I talked to HenryJ and we are getting together at 6am tomorrow morning. I was able to get the 2 front Bilstens but not the rear. So I need them and the spacers. Not a biggie. This is going to be fun. :shock:
[size=75]2003 Yellow S10 Crew Cab ZR5: SuperLiner, PA192 Lift, 3 Leaf Kit, Bilsten Shocks, Yokohama GeoLander A/T + II, ARE IIsi Tonneau Cover with Wing[/size]
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Mike H. »

melloyellow wrote:This is going to be fun. :shock:
Yeah, as we all sit at WORK. :!:
[size=75][url=http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst?.dir=/&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst%3f%26.dir=/2002%2bGMC%2bCrew%2bCab-Spacers%26.src=ph%26.view=l&.view=l]Yahoo Photo Pages[/url]
(previous) 2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab
(now) 2004 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 Crew Cab[/size]
MikeyZR5

Post by MikeyZR5 »

Ok...what are you having done again...I am a little confused on what is going on... :lol:
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

Please take more pictures than just before and after.... :D
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
melloyellow
Webhost
Webhost

Post by melloyellow »

Day 1 is complete. What a day. The lift kit is in. It was really very smooth. We picked up the leafs this afternoon so will start again tomorrow at 6am. The leafs, shocks, and fix the side rails are the last few things. It is up and drove just fine to Boise to pick up the leafs. HenryJ has all the specs on the lift. He will probably post them after his class tonight.

sidenote: He is pretty impressive when it comes to this stuff and a nice shop to work in.
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

MikeyZR5 wrote:Ok...what are you having done again...I am a little confused on what is going on... :lol:

Yea, I'm lost myself. :?
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

melloyellow wrote:Day 1 is complete. What a day. The lift kit is in. It was really very smooth. We picked up the leafs this afternoon so will start again tomorrow at 6am. The leafs, shocks, and fix the side rails are the last few things. It is up and drove just fine to Boise to pick up the leafs. HenryJ has all the specs on the lift. He will probably post them after his class tonight.

sidenote: He is pretty impressive when it comes to this stuff and a nice shop to work in.

ya, he has a vast plethera of knowledge :lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Yea, too deep for me! :?:
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Too bad we were unable to get the tires put on here.

It really needs some tires now :lol: the stockers belong on a 2wd not this 4x4-

I believe that these are the tires that He will be having installed-

It will be interesting to see how they work out, I might even consider them for my next tire.

A Baja racer's tire can't be wrong , right?

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

So let me get this straight, he drove all the way to you to get the BL? If that's the case, I might have to take a run to you since your much closer to me. ;) Nice work guys!

Cheers,

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

I still don't have it straight. :lol:
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Conman wrote:So let me get this straight, he drove all the way to you to get the BL? If that's the case, I might have to take a run to you since your much closer to me. ;) Nice work guys!

Cheers,

Con

Never mind on henry being closer. Did you move? I swore you lived in PA.

Con
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

No swearing in here. :lol:
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

HenryJ wrote:Too bad we were unable to get the tires put on here.

It really needs some tires now :lol: the stockers belong on a 2wd not this 4x4-

I believe that these are the tires that He will be having installed-

It will be interesting to see how they work out, I might even consider them for my next tire.

A Baja racer's tire can't be wrong , right?

NICE!!!!!
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Bennie, Thanks for the dinner!

Hobie would be jealous, but as he well knows all us crew cabbers enjoy dinner at a place that serves a "big" burrito on a platter :thumb:

Have a safe journey!

- ThunderII KE7CSK
melloyellow
Webhost
Webhost

Post by melloyellow »

HenryJ. What was the part number and manufacturer of the trailer hitch you were referring to? I know it is a 3 piece hitch but need to find it as soon as possible. Lots of work waiting here for me when I got back. Also will post pictures of the new cover this evening. It looks great.
melloyellow
Webhost
Webhost

Post by melloyellow »

Here it is. Image A lot of the mods can be seen now. It is as high as a ZR2. Runs great and holds that road. Did 1200 miles in it yesterday. In all kinds of conditions, rain, heat, mountain passes and flatland. Started at 8am finished the next morning at 2am. Figure about a hour total worth of stops.

Ordered the 2 rear shocks today. They are on backorder. Should get the programmer in the next couple of day. HenryJ is right it now needs a new hood. I really like HenryJ's but also like the TransAm Shaker. Choices are so hard. Open for suggestions.
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

:shock: :thumb:

Now put some tires and get those wheels out more!
melloyellow
Webhost
Webhost

Post by melloyellow »

quickbiker wrote::shock: :thumb:

What's the matter with the tires? Those are new 31" Geolanders, or is that the problem? :shock:
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

melloyellow wrote:

What's the matter with the tires? Those are new 31" Geolanders, or is that the problem? :shock:
He's just an MT guy. 8)
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Oh, I thought they were stockers. :?

Looks great!

Yea, I am an MT guy. :P
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

maybe a light bar and some lights on the roof to compliment the look
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

melloyellow wrote:What was the part number and manufacturer of the trailer hitch you were referring to? I know it is a 3 piece hitch but need to find it as soon as possible.
Mine is a GM Hitch Pkg # 12496770 $120.16 from Chuck Hutton.
NAPA sells the same hitch under the brand "Valley", without the wiring for $99.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

melloyellow wrote:Here it is. Image A lot of the mods can be seen now. It is as high as a ZR2. Runs great and holds that road. Did 1200 miles in it yesterday. In all kinds of conditions, rain, heat, mountain passes and flatland. Started at 8am finished the next morning at 2am. Figure about a hour total worth of stops.

Ordered the 2 rear shocks today. They are on backorder. Should get the programmer in the next couple of day. HenryJ is right it now needs a new hood. I really like HenryJ's but also like the TransAm Shaker. Choices are so hard. Open for suggestions.
Very Nice. The Stock ZR5 rims look sharp with bigger tires. I'm wondering if I should stay with stock rims as well. How many cranks did you do on the front to lift it(if at all)? How do you like the nerf bars now? Is it easier to get in that it's lower from the body? I felt it was so close to the body that it's almost not worth steping on them. Looking good!

Con
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

melloyellow wrote:

31x10.5?

Con
MikeyZR5

Post by MikeyZR5 »

Very NICE!!!

:D
melloyellow
Webhost
Webhost

Post by melloyellow »

Conman wrote:
melloyellow wrote:

31x10.5?

Con
Yes they are. Getting the side bars lifted Friday. Will have pictures afterwards.
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

looks great! reminds me of my truck about a year go. Only with out the bed cover and the bl
[size=75]02 ZR5 CC, SFA D44 front, D60 rear, 40" IROKs, np200 2nd t-case. SOLD
05 F-350 CC FX4 Diesel, 7" lift 37" toyos, 14.18 1/4 mile ET[/size]
Crew02
Crew
Crew

Post by Crew02 »

melloyellow wrote:Here it is. Image A lot of the mods can be seen now. It is as high as a ZR2. Runs great and holds that road. Did 1200 miles in it yesterday. In all kinds of conditions, rain, heat, mountain passes and flatland. Started at 8am finished the next morning at 2am. Figure about a hour total worth of stops.

That lid looks sharp! What does the ARE cost? (Ballpark)
[size=75]2002 Crewcab - Best Mod XM Radio, 2" Body Lift, 30 X 9.5 BFG Long Trail, Factory Locker, T-Bar Crank , Rear Shackles. ORI PreRunner Bar, Hella 500 Lights.
1990 Jeep Wrangler, ARB lockers front/Rear, Winches Front/rear,4" suspension Lift, 2" body lift, 35" BFG Mud TA's, Geared 4:56.
Amateur Radio Operator KC4-IKR[/size]
melloyellow
Webhost
Webhost

Post by melloyellow »

Right about $1200. It is lined and the wing has a break light built in.
melloyellow
Webhost
Webhost

Post by melloyellow »

I got the two rear shocks today and installed them. Will see how it rides tomorrow. My guess much different as working the Bilsten's was really hard. The old ones just moved in no problem. They never did extend back out. Pretty sad that a new truck has bad shocks on it.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

wow....thats a very clean good looking truck :D :D :D
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

melloyellow wrote:I got the two rear shocks today and installed them. Will see how it rides tomorrow. My guess much different as working the Bilsten's was really hard. The old ones just moved in no problem. They never did extend back out. Pretty sad that a new truck has bad shocks on it.
Some shocks don't extend back out(I thought all did as well). My brand new ranchos9000 did not extend back out. Also, I got new OME(made by ARB) shocks(after the Ranchos) for my Trooper and the front ones did not extend auto but the rears did. Probably just the way they are designed.

Con
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Conman wrote: Some shocks don't extend back out(I thought all did as well). My brand new ranchos9000 did not extend back out. Also, I got new OME(made by ARB) shocks(after the Ranchos) for my Trooper and the front ones did not extend auto but the rears did. Probably just the way they are designed.

Con
True, However the stock ACDelco's were gas charged. I had two sets installed under warranty, and had to install a set of the rears myself.
I still have a virtually new set from the last warranty, which was just before I went to the Bilsteins. They are still sealed and holding the charge.

It seems their weak point is the seals, first they lose the nitrogen charge (weak at best) then the oil starts leaking.

- ThunderII KE7CSK