bilstein's made a difference!

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

bilstein's made a difference!

Post by ace »

It finally warmed up to 20 today so I put my bilstein shocks on the front. It made a difference. One problem I ran into was that on the drivers side the top nut fell inside the frame. Their was a hole on the top side of the frame and it fell right in there rolled down inside to about the door. A little bit of finesse and a magnet and about 20 minutes later back in business. Removing the nut and bolt that holds the brake line helped a lot to get the shock in there from the bottom too. Pretty easy mod overall. I decided it was a good opportunity to rotate tires at that point too. Highly recommend the bilsteins.
Last edited by ace on Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Bilsteins = :thumb:
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

Guess I'm going to have to get me a set of these....This is like the 5th or 6th time I've heard good reviews on them. However I hate the ones on my Xtreme.....Wonder why that is?!?!?
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

2kwik4u wrote:Guess I'm going to have to get me a set of these....This is like the 5th or 6th time I've heard good reviews on them. However I hate the ones on my Xtreme.....Wonder why that is?!?!?
Do you have Heavy Duty or Sport Bilsteins on your Xtreme? :?

Steve
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

The bilstein's definitely helped but I still feel like I'm battling a bouncy ride. I tried de-cranking my tbars and it helped a little but not enough to keep them decranked. I wonder if it's my tires. I have 32 psi in them but I just wonder if they are kind of a bouncy tire. I have the mickey thompson mtx's. As far as function and look they are great. I have gone through everything with them but on the street I wonder if that's whats giving me a bouncy ride. My CC rides like my old wrangler's with leaf springs.
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

killian96ss wrote:Do you have Heavy Duty or Sport Bilsteins on your Xtreme? :? Steve
To be honest I'm not sure. I should probably give them a more "fair shake" in the future since I'm currently running some super-cheap ones off eBay. I have a feeling they are either factory seconds, or not the intended application for the sport truck. They are SUPER SUPER soft, and the front end floats a ton more than I'd like it to.

I REALLY REALLY want to fab some custom lower control arms for the truck, and wedge some good QA1 road race parts under there, but I'm not motivated enough (nor do I have the cash) to pursue that currently :(.

I'm currently in the middle of a brake project that is sucking most of my mod budget away (dual piston caliper and rotor conversion from a 2wd blazer...I can elaborate on the benefits if you want), so moving forward I will most likely get some el cheapo monroes, or some of the stock gently used DeCarbons off eBay. I liked the DeCarbons that it came with, mine just finally wore out at 150k miles :D If I had some spare cash, I'd get some sport bilstiens from Autozone (the SSF guys have confirmed the part numbers from Bilstien match the stock GM parts for the ZQ8 suspension).
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]