Replacement Front Shocks Installation

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Replacement Front Shocks Installation

Post by BobbleSmitty »

After changing out the rear shocks, I want to put new ones on the front. I didn't look around up in the front to see how easy or hard it is to do it, but I haven't ever done it before. So I was just looking for some input on how to go about replacing the front shocks or is it as easy as doing the rears?? Thanks
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

It is a bit harder to access and install the front shocks. Jack up and support on jackstand since it is almost impossible to do with the wheel on.You may have to fight a bit to get the new shock in place and lined up, I had to use a prybar to get the bottom eye to line up for the bolt. I would also suggest a pair of mechanics gloves to prevent the scraped knuckles I got.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

All went well!! It was actually easier than I thought it would be, thanks to air tools! Probably took me an hour, that is, get out all the tools, remove the tires, take out the old shocks, install the new ones, put the tires back on, lower the truck back to the ground, and clean up! I didn't go with some fancy super-expensive shocks... I just installed Monroe Sensa-trac shocks. I needed shocks regardless, cause the fronts were just as bad as the rears that I replaced last week! The ride improved greatly tho! The handling reminds me of the truck when I first got it, before the lift and tires, but actually a little better! I now feel safe driving the curve around off and on ramps to the freeway a little over the posted speed limit! Lets just say, before, when I was running completely stock shocks after the body lift, it felt like I was going to tip, now it feels nice and safe, even if I do push it a little :) All in all, I'm happy and the truck feels alot better!

-Bob
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
gairbear
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gairbear »

good to hear Bob.
Black '02 crew cab-30" BFG's, K & N FIPK, Go Rhino step bars, 2" body lift
crew cab sonoma
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by crew cab sonoma »

how do those Monroe Sensa-trac shocks compare to the original shocks on rough or bumpy pavement?

how many miles were on your originals?
[size=75]Lee

01 Sonoma Crew Cab 2.21 60ft. 10.24 @ 66.5 mph (1/8mi.)(SOLD)
00 Sonoma Ext. Cab 4WD. front axle removed, Torsen diff. W4M pcm. 2.10 60ft. 9.64 @ 71.0 mph (1/8 mi.)[/size]
gairbear
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gairbear »

I got the Monroe Reflex and they're...good, but a little bit..squishy at times....but a kabillion times better than stock IMO. I had about 60,000 miles on my stockers.

Gair
Black '02 crew cab-30" BFG's, K & N FIPK, Go Rhino step bars, 2" body lift
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

It's night and day difference! My stockers had 18,300 miles on them. Like them alot better!!
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I ran those on my old 2wd Sonoma and I was impressed. They weren't as stiff as the ES9000's I have on my CC now, but they did offer a good balance of ride and handling. I would generally recommend them to anyone except hardcore offroaders. :thumb:
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
crew cab sonoma
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks and struts have a tapered groove machined into the inside housing. While the piston is in the groove, a soft, comfortable ride is achieved, but when the piston travels above or below the groove, during rough roads or severe handling, the valving stiffens up. Also, the new Monroe Safe-Tech system works with the existing groove-tube technology to provide smoother piston travel, making the Monroe Sensa-Tracs even more responsive than ever to changing road "conditions. Sensa-Tracs are designed to be used when a comfortable ride and not handling is a primary concern.

Monroe Reflex shock delivers an entirely new level of performance. Performance that maximizes safety and control, without compromising comfort. A genuine engineering innovation, the patent-pending impact Sensor technology is the most important development in almost two decades. The patent pending Impact Sensor acts as a switch between firm and soft compression damping. Under normal road conditions, Reflex delivers firm handling. When the tire encounters a bump or pothole, the switch opens in just 12 milliseconds, absorbing the impact. The switch then closes in 15 milliseconds, restoring the firm ride and maximizing tire-to-road contact.
looks like the Sensa-Tracs offer the most comfortable overall ride.
would be nice to know exactly how the two compare to each other...

i bought the Gabriel Pro Guards for the CC a couple of years ago.
maybe a slight improvement in ride over the originals, but not much...
[size=75]Lee

00 Sonoma Ext. Cab 4WD. front axle removed, Torsen diff. W4M pcm. 2.10 60ft. 9.64 @ 71.0 mph (1/8 mi.)[/size]
Maximous
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Maximous »

just put the RS9000Xs on my truck, it all depends were you set them (9 way adjustable) i have mine all the way up right now, just because i think it is funny bouncing all over the place when you hit a bump, i will probablly drop them back down to 5 when i get a chance, but my vote is, if you are buying shocks and you occasionally tow, offroad or anything else of such, buy the RS9000Xs, you can adjust them to what ever situation you want, really easy too, you just crawl under and turn the dial,

*Side Note* has anybody ever had any problems out of there shocks ie rattleing, i installed mine and heard some rattleing a few days later, took it to the GM Dealer, long story short, the shocks didnt fit, irate, i called Rancho, yeah, the durn things are made one one and even say this side down, but for S-series you are supposed to run them up side down???? Go Figure
[size=75]Driver carries no money, he's a Government employee[/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

May be that is the rattling that I can't find. It's been killing me. :!: I'll check into it. Right after I fix the SES light issue from changing the fuel filter- :lol:
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
Maximous
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Maximous »

i flipped the shocks over today, to no avail, so i took one regular flat washer and placed it in with the top bolt, it worked, no more rattle, another benefit is that it is much easier to adjust my shocks with them inverted, WWhogrider, if your truck is rattleing while you drive over bumpy surface then it may well be the shocks, easy to check, mine you could actually reach in and jiggle the shock, even with the tire on and sitting on the ground, so thats obviously a bad thing?? hahaha
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It is a "Rancho thing" - Rancho shock 'thud' noise?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

Something rattles in the left front side just by going over slight cracks in the pavement. :lol: I recently, 2-3 months, switched to the Bilstein's, with rubber boot down. Previously, I had the Monroe's, and also had the rattle. I haven't checked to see if I can twist the Bilstein's, but I know I was able to wiggle the Monroe's. I even tightened the bolts with the monroe's, but didn't work, so I went with the Bil's. I'll try the washer trick if they wiggle. Just sounds like it's coming from right below my feet though. :roll:
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Do you have nerf bars? If so, are you positive that they're not loose?
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

I had the rattle long before the nerf bar install and Bilstein's. The rattle actually went away for a short time, (~ 1 week), after I did the TB crank, but before I did the switch to the Bils.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

WVHogRider wrote:.......I recently, 2-3 months, switched to the Bilstein's, with rubber boot down.
I believe that the fronts need to be rubber boot up and rubber boot down on the rears.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

:x :twisted: :x :twisted: I'll try to switch the fronts around some time this week while I'm also figuring out the SES (P0140) code fuel air leak... :wink: If I don't go hunting all week. :D
crew cab sonoma
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

well, i installed a pair of Sensa-Tracs on the front of the truck last weekend. i cant say they made alot of difference. a little bit, but not a big improvement.

i think i may save myself some money, and buy the Gabriel Pro Guards for the rear... they are about half the price of the Sensa-Tracs.
[size=75]Lee

crew cab sonoma
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

i installed the Gabriel Pro Guards on the rear over the weekend.

one of the shocks gave me greif to remove, as corrosion had set up between the stud at the axle, and the shock bushing sleeve.
i had to tear the shock off the rubber bushing, then cut the rubber off the sleeve, and heat the sleeve with a torch, to get it to come loose from the stud. :x
the studs got well lubricated with grease before the new shocks went on...

the new shocks did offer an improvement in ride over bumps. almost as firm, but a little more "refined".

both the Crew Cab and the Ext. Cab had what i originally perceived to be frame oscillation after hitting some larger bumps... kind of a high frequency "shudder" after the bump.

replacing the Crew`s rear shocks with Gabriel Guardians (cheapest) did not improve this shudder, and i didnt expect the Pro Guards to help this effect on the Ext. Cab.... but they did... they practically eliminated it....

i also noticed that the original shocks, off both trucks, both front and rear,
seemed to to be rather soft in compression, but fairly firm on extension. none of them had signs of oil leakage. 54K on the Crew`s originals, 62K on the Ext. Cab`s...

the Pro Guards seem to have delivered a bigger improvement for the rear, than the Sensa Tracs did for the front...
[size=75]Lee

Maximous
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Maximous »

PS the rattle is back, durn shocks are driving me crazy, good thing my truck came with the "Noise Cancelation Device" the louder the noise, the higher you adjust the NCD, works very well hahahaha